Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
hmm, ya, when I get my PSP I'll get a 16GB sony official (just a question - do I need the HG type that's faster to run my will-be-ripped psp games well or can I settle for the normal one?). Overall, what's the best and cheapest place to get one from the US you've all found so far?
xist will disagree with me, we've gone back and forth about this for some time now, but memory stick speed really doesn't matter too much.

newegg.com is where I've gotten most of my flash memory over the years, and going anywhere with cheaper prices ups the chances of getting a fake memory card.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I use a SanDisk UltraII 4GB. There are certain games where having a faster MSPD does make a noticeable difference (like GTA), but for the majority of games any normal MSPDs will be faster than UMD anyway so people say it doesn't matter.

The exception is, as themuddaload mentioned, fake memory cards (e.g. fake SanDisk cards that use 1 or 2GB modules and have 4 or 8GB printed on the front). The compression used in fakes not only create a high chance of data corruption, but also make the read/write speeds much slower. Plus they tend to not support MagicGate so sometimes they just won't work with PSP anyway.

QUOTE said:
Nobody needs a 16/32GB. Nobody.
@prwlr, I could easily fill up 16GB with games I like to keep on hand (including PS1 games). In fact, every time I manage the games on my MSPD, I always wish I had 5 times as much space.

T3chWarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 x 16gb = 32gb san disk microsd's in a photo fast pro duo adapter, for a friends kid so that he can watch all his cartoons and movies and so he doesnt scratch/lose umd's.

would like feedback about if anyone has gotten 2 x32 gb microsd's to work in a photofast adapter on the psp.

PS 32gb just isn't enough
biggrin.gif

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
hmm, ya, when I get my PSP I'll get a 16GB sony official (just a question - do I need the HG type that's faster to run my will-be-ripped psp games well or can I settle for the normal one?). Overall, what's the best and cheapest place to get one from the US you've all found so far?
Do yourself the favor and get the fastest card. Some games like the two Grand Theft Auto titles, Loco Roco 2, Rock Band Unplugged, etc stream data off the card and will degrade into a choppy mess with a slow card. You will probably want to refrain from compressing anything that has frequent loading phases.

It's a one time investment and your card will play unlimited games under the PSP library as well as any emulation and homebrew that you're interested in, so just spend the extra money. Cheapskates who can't reconcile spending the extra cash for something like this are imbeciles.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Cheapskates who can't reconcile spending the extra cash for something like this are imbeciles.
Not everybody has as much money as you seem to for high-speed memory cards (the exception being for those who use high-quality cameras).

Fastest card the PSP supports (AFAIK) is the SanDisk ExtremeIII series (30MB/s). MS PRO-HG Duo cards (including the SanDisk Ultra - not UltraII) are mostly 30MB/s, but theoretically support up to 60MB/s, but the PSP can't make use of the full 8-bit parallel interface, so there's no point. Might aswell just get a Mark 2 card from Sony or an UltraII card (15MB/s) like my one. EDIT: Or the mSD converter one like T3ch mentioned.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I will DEFINITELY be playing LocoRoco2 so An HG is a good Idea for me.

About Money, my budget is $273 now for a hackable PSP 2K (star wars, probly), memory stick and pandora, but I'd like to spend around $150 or less so I have some funds left just incase some of my other tech freaks out for repairs or replacements.

About the cards and adapters: look at the price of an HG on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PRO-HG-Memory-S...6370&sr=1-1
Now the price of an extremeIII of the same size
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-16GB-Extreme...6549&sr=1-3

HG is MUCH cheaper, and the reviews cite it as a legit, magicgate compatible card.

So I guess I'll go with that.

EDIT: one review says it's fake though...

newegg doesn't have any 16 GB HGs either.

guess I'll find a new site.

Walmart has this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-16GB-Memory...-Mark-2/9854472 but it's not HG.

This one from best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+16GB+Me...p;cp=1&lp=8 is HG, but crazy expensive. Is it really worth it?

If someone can confirm those games (locoroco2, GTA, etc) work well on a Mark 2 then I might get that. Otherwise I'll keep on lookin.

Thanks for all the help guys.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
personuser said:
Do yourself the favor and get the fastest card. Some games like the two Grand Theft Auto titles, Loco Roco 2, Rock Band Unplugged, etc stream data off the card and will degrade into a choppy mess with a slow card. You will probably want to refrain from compressing anything that has frequent loading phases.

It's a one time investment and your card will play unlimited games under the PSP library as well as any emulation and homebrew that you're interested in, so just spend the extra money. Cheapskates who can't reconcile spending the extra cash for something like this are imbeciles.
thats not the memory stick, thats the game itself. i own gta:vcs, and when going fast in a vehicle it has trouble keeping up.

trust me, just about any memory stick you will find is faster than a UMD

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Ok, I will DEFINITELY be playing LocoRoco2 so An HG is a good Idea for me.

About Money, my budget is $273 now for a hackable PSP 2K (star wars, probly), memory stick and pandora, but I'd like to spend around $150 or less so I have some funds left just incase some of my other tech freaks out for repairs or replacements.

HG is MUCH cheaper, and the reviews cite it as a legit, magicgate compatible card.

So I guess I'll go with that.

EDIT: one review says it's fake though...

newegg doesn't have any 16 GB HGs either.

guess I'll find a new site.

Walmart has this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-16GB-Memory...-Mark-2/9854472 but it's not HG.

This one from best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+16GB+Me...p;cp=1&lp=8 is HG, but crazy expensive. Is it really worth it?

If someone can confirm those games (locoroco2, GTA, etc) work well on a Mark 2 then I might get that. Otherwise I'll keep on lookin.

Thanks for all the help guys.
HG has high write speeds
rather pointless for the PSP, read speed is what matters

Mark.2 is fine

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
QUOTE said:
Cheapskates who can't reconcile spending the extra cash for something like this are imbeciles.
Not everybody has as much money as you seem to for high-speed memory cards (the exception being for those who use high-quality cameras).
We're not talking about a prohibitive amount of money. So you skip on ordering a pizza, or stay home to eat instead of going to a restaurant. Anybody working even the most soul-sucking minimum wage job can afford to scrape up the few bucks for a non recurring fee like that.

QUOTE(themuddaload @ Feb 24 2011, 02:33 PM)
thats not the memory stick, thats the game itself. i own gta:vcs, and when going fast in a vehicle it has trouble keeping up.

It has trouble because when driving it has to frequently load new data. As you said, one of the biggest points to playing off the memory card is they are faster than the UMD (another being the enjoyable lack of grinding noises). Play it as a cso on slow card, then compare to playing it as an iso on a faster card. By doing the latter, you can virtually eliminate the stuttering which was a major complaint against the game's development.

Personuser--I had a 2000 until it broke then bought a 3000, and it took awhile to get used to running the temp CFW but now I barely notice any difference. Fact is, PSP 3000s are typically cheaper and readily available compared to finding a hackable 2000 so it's something you may consider. There's a thread recently posted claiming Target is selling them at $130. Look into it and you may save yourself some decent cash which you can put toward the memory stick and pocket the rest.

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Originality said:
QUOTE said:
We're not talking about a prohibitive amount of money. So you skip on ordering a pizza, or stay home to eat instead of going to a restaurant. Anybody working even the most soul-sucking minimum wage job can afford to scrape up the few bucks for a non recurring fee like that.

QUOTE(themuddaload @ Feb 24 2011, 02:33 PM)

It has trouble because when driving it has to frequently load new data. As you said, one of the biggest points to playing off the memory card is they are faster than the UMD (another being the enjoyable lack of grinding noises). Play it as a cso on slow card, then compare to playing it as an iso on a faster card. By doing the latter, you can virtually eliminate the stuttering which was a major complaint against the game's development.

Personuser--I had a 2000 until it broke then bought a 3000, and it took awhile to get used to running the temp CFW but now I barely notice any difference. Fact is, PSP 3000s are typically cheaper and readily available compared to finding a hackable 2000 so it's something you may consider. There's a thread recently posted claiming Target is selling them at $130. Look into it and you may save yourself some decent cash which you can put toward the memory stick and pocket the rest.

Hmm...If you don't mind, there's a few things I'd like to say about that.

1. How did your 2K break? Did you just drop it or was it a bad bricking? If the former, would it be a good idea to invest in a hard protective shell for the PSP? I've never dropped a single handheld, ever, but if PSPs are slipperier or something, I might. If the latter, what bricked it so I know what to avoid doing? If neither of those, do 2Ks just die after awhile, and how long do they last if kept in good condition?

2. 3Ks are NOT cheaper than hackable 2000s. Search "star wars PSP" or "daxter PSP" on ebay and you'll see how common and low they can be. I've seen auctions end for used hackable 2Ks for $50-100, and often a memory stick and additional accessories are included (any stick >32MB would be great to get with the bundle for MMS instead of paying for one seperately.). Also, before anyone asks, go is completely out of question for me, mainly because I want the bigger screen and I REALLY dislike how some of the buttons feel. 1000 is also out of question because it only has 32 MB RAM.

3. So are you saying I DO need a HG to play games well?

thanks.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I managed to crack the screen.

The PSP has a great life expectancy. The most popular problems afflicting the DS just aren't applicable here. No hinges to break, and the L+R buttons are superior. If the screen gets scratched or marred, it's an easy fix. They're even so much more comfortable and sturdy to hold than the DS: just try playing Rock Band on both systems and compare.

I still say you should give some thought to a 3000. If you've got something lined up with a 2000, perhaps through here or in your area that's great. Otherwise it may be worth it to have something new, with a warranty and knowledge of where it's been. Personally, I'll pay the extra money to not have to deal with ebay but maybe that's just me.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Let me set this straight. You do not need HG to play PSP games well. PSP games were designed to play off UMD. UMD is slow. Any non-fake Memory Stick PRO Duo will be faster than UMD speeds. That's as far as most people care. Again, you do not need HG to get faster speeds than UMD.

QUOTEHG is MUCH cheaper, and the reviews cite it as a legit, magicgate compatible card.
ExtremeIII uses the 4-bit interface, HG uses the 8-bit interface. They both have 30MB/s speeds. PSP uses 4-bit interface. Considering the above, does it not make sense for HG (or SanDisk Ultra) to be more less expensive than ExtremeIII? Then again, this is academic - any normal MSPD or Mark 2 (15MB/s) will be more than enough for any PSP games. What difference will you see between 15MB/s and 30MB/s cards when playing games designed for UMD speeds?
EDIT: Corrected a mistake.

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
QUOTE said:
Let me set this straight. You do not need HG to play PSP games well. PSP games were designed to play off UMD. UMD is slow. Any non-fake Memory Stick PRO Duo will be faster than UMD speeds. That's as far as most people care. Again, you do not need HG to get faster speeds than UMD.

QUOTEHG is MUCH cheaper, and the reviews cite it as a legit, magicgate compatible card.
ExtremeIII uses the 4-bit interface, HG uses the 8-bit interface. They both have 30MB/s speeds. PSP uses 4-bit interface. Considering the above, does it not make sense for HG (or SanDisk Ultra) to be more expensive than ExtremeIII? Then again, this is academic - any normal MSPD or Mark 2 (15MB/s) will be more than enough for any PSP games. What difference will you see between 15MB/s and 30MB/s cards when playing games designed for UMD speeds?

Allrighty, then, cool.

I guess I'll get that one from a nearby walmart for $48 then
smile.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I just realized something (egg on my face for not clicking the amazon links you provided). You were comparing a Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo with a SD card. It's not even ExtremeIII but just Extreme.That completely invalidates the comparison in price.

SanDisk 16GB HG - £52
SanDisk 8GB ExtremeIII - £88 (it's a third party seller so not a reliable indication of price, but it's the only one I found).
Sony 16GB HG - £40
I won't bother comparing to the prices of normal and Mark2 Sony MSPDs or the SanDisk UltraII - they're slightly cheaper, but the difference isn't much.

That also means that I was wrong in an earlier comment - since MSPD is just stupidly cheap now.

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
2 x 8 GB Class 4 Kingston mini SDHC (using in adaptor)
1 x 8 GB Class 6 Sandisk
2GB Memory Stick Pro Sony
1GB Memory Stick Pro Sony
1 x Transcend Class 6 (I think) 4GB
and a generic 2GB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a