Hacking What should I do with a 3.0.0 switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Logically you can:
- Sell it for a higher price since its on 3.0.0 (if anyone is into that.)
- Leave it on firmware 3.0.0 and not update it. (You can still play some games but you won't be able to play all of them.)
- Just update it.

Its your choice really, if you don't see yourself using any Homebrew apps any time soon I would just update the console or sell it for a higher price and just buy a newer FW Console.

Reactions: Bernhard

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a brand new switch today along with FE Warriors guess I'll disable auto update.
Update: turns out my switch is 3.01 factory so no exploit for me, but will keep it there for future exploits
Bright side is I can atleast play FE Warriors while I wait :)

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: can't spell

PaBo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you already own a WiiU...Not that much I guess. But if you dont, then god yes its worth it.
And yes, as have @ShadowOne333 said. Retroarch should be most wonderful. Playing some Chrono Trigger on toilet and Battletoads on the beach, or instead of listening to a nagging gf/wife/exwife/soontobewife you can play some Earthbound and have fun? Yes please!

dont we all have a hacked 3ds for that?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now is all that worth missing out on Super Mario Oddysey and other really fun games?
Mmmm I dont know.
Holding off to play 10k games from a huge variety of consoles or playing 2-3 new games?
The reasoning beats itself, the fact is that Odyssey is just the novelty, thats it.
Everything else I can play on my Wii U to hold off the time until homebrew.

If you are SO desperate to play it day one, release date, pre order, etc, go ahead, I have a lot more shit to play to kill the time in the meanwhile.

stevjd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mmmm I dont know.
Holding off to play 10k games from a huge variety of consoles or playing 2-3 new games?
The reasoning beats itself, the fact is that Odyssey is just the novelty, thats it.
Everything else I can play on my Wii U to hold off the time until homebrew.

If you are SO desperate to play it day one, release date, pre order, etc, go ahead, I have a lot more shit to play to kill the time in the meanwhile.

There is far more than just Mario Odyssey coming out in the next couple of months. I personally have a 3ds for homebrew as I'm sure a lot of people on this forum does.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now is all that worth missing out on Super Mario Oddysey and other really fun games?
Smh. The exploit could release tomorrow who knows? Either way, it's coming and 3.0 switches are going to be CRAZY hard to find. Especially once development picks up. And the only way to get one from then on will be to buy them from people online... which will be very hard to find given the amount of switches out at this time still on 3.0. And when the shit does release, who knows? Maybe games requiring a higher firmware will be playable via a workaround or emunand etc.
Also GameCube and possibly ps2 emulator on the go!!!

OP YOU LUCKED THE FUCK OUT. DO NOT UPDATE.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is far more than just Mario Odyssey coming out in the next couple of months. I personally have a 3ds for homebrew as I'm sure a lot of people on this forum does.

... seriously...? Bruh. You're comparing a weak ass system from 2011 to the switch. Infinitely more possibilities for some cool and better homebrew on the switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

search the 100 thread asking the same before you and find a answer or this "NO Homebrew for end user in a while"
"The 100 thread". Lol. And that's not the answer dude. Don't pull shit from your ass with such confidence.

loveShmups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wait 2 yo 3 years.. you will able to play with Switch games.. on a PC !
Seriously.... A switch is a proprietary system. You bought it, so now buy games... or don't, as you like it !
This is a strange question : do you really think that we asked yourself the same question when we bought a PS3 or a XBOX 360 ?

Short answer : YES, one day there will be a Switch emulator (this is speculation of course, but Nintendo never used a High end hardware for many years now.... and we can play WII and WII U games for few years now !).
And please, don't lie : most people like to hack system in order to play with full retail games.... not homebrew.
It's a question of conscience here...

stevjd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Smh. The exploit could release tomorrow who knows? Either way, it's coming and 3.0 switches are going to be CRAZY hard to find. Especially once development picks up. And the only way to get one from then on will be to buy them from people online... which will be very hard to find given the amount of switches out at this time still on 3.0. And when the shit does release, who knows? Maybe games requiring a higher firmware will be playable via a workaround or emunand etc.
Also GameCube and possibly ps2 emulator on the go!!!

OP YOU LUCKED THE FUCK OUT. DO NOT UPDATE.

Firstly, we have no idea when homebrew will come. It will not be tomorrow though... If homebrew is only available on 3.0 then it will be hard for the homebrew scene to really take off with the switch. The homebrew scene on the 3ds is so strong because of the ability to downgrade higher firmwares which will be very difficult, if not impossible on the switch.

... seriously...? Bruh. You're comparing a weak ass system from 2011 to the switch. Infinitely more possibilities for some cool and better homebrew on the switch.

Android emulators are getting better all the time so PS2/GC is possible on a phone. For the rest, a 3ds is perfectly fine, especially a new 3ds. Other emulators like PS3 etc will need a more powerful processor than what the switch has with the current state of them.

Last edited by stevjd,

Rudy69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dont you dare,get a spare switch baby!!

I don’t think it’s worth it for me. I already have a vita for homebrew.

Your loss. Have fun with that bucket o' regret.

I’ve enjoyed my Switch as is for now. I’m sure a year or two down the line there will be more opportunities to hack it. For now I’m going to enjoy it for the games that are available on it. I’ve been looking forward to Mario for a long time and I’ve been meaning to try out Stardew Valley (didn’t want to upgrade for that one though)

Reactions: stevjd

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh yeah I know there's more coming, but afaik those are not Nintendo exclusives, unlike Odyssey, or are they?
I was talking mainly about the exclusives the system has, while all the others can be played in other platforms or PCs. :P

stevjd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah I know there's more coming, but afaik those are not Nintendo exclusives, unlike Odyssey, or are they?
I was talking mainly about the exclusives the system has, while all the others can be played in other platforms or PCs. :P

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one that comes to mind.

qwertytheasdf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 2.3.0 switch, and honestly, I'm most likely going to update to play Odyssey. Unless a 2.3.0 switch can fetch a higher price than a new switch...

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, we have no idea when homebrew will come. It will not be tomorrow though... If homebrew is only available on 3.0 then it will be hard for the homebrew scene to really take off with the switch. The homebrew scene on the 3ds is so strong because of the ability to downgrade higher firmwares which will be very difficult, if not impossible on the switch.

Android emulators are getting better all the time so PS2/GC is possible on a phone. For the rest, a 3ds is perfectly fine, especially a new 3ds. Other emulators like PS3 etc will need a more powerful processor than what the switch has with the current state of them.
Odds are against it coming tomorrow. I'm just saying for the sake of things. If we have "no idea when it will come", that means it could be "tomorrow". And I don't think so. Look at the PS3. Also the Switch is super unique in comparison.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes more sense to update it. 3.0.0 was released early in the Switch's life so the pool of homebrew users will be small. I doubt there will be much development. On top of that you'll be stuck with only a handful of Switch games to play. Sure, you might get a bunch of emulators, but just about every device has them. Doesn't make sense to buy a Switch for them.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes more sense to update it. 3.0.0 was released early in the Switch's life so the pool of homebrew users will be small. I doubt there will be much development. On top of that you'll be stuck with only a handful of Switch games to play. Sure, you might get a bunch of emulators, but just about every device has them. Doesn't make sense to buy a Switch for them.
That's all assumption, bud.

stevjd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3.0 is going to be in a similar place to PS4 1.76 in my opinion. It may be slightly better because it's a Nintendo console but I wouldn't expect 3ds levels of support for homebrew and hacks.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3.0 is going to be in a similar place to PS4 1.76 in my opinion. It may be slightly better because it's a Nintendo console but I wouldn't expect 3ds levels of support for homebrew and hacks.
Read my above post, quoting invaderyoyo... The PS3 and Vita were in the same place, but they (at least the PS3) got pretty great support, and the Vita, for its time, did well too with homebrew.) You can't base it upon another console. Who knows what'll happen and how much work will be palced into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY...