Hacking What should I do with a 3.0.0 switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaUsedTM87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was lucky enough to pick up a 3.0.0 switch and I don't know if i should update or leave it as is. Advice?

Trolling_Farm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Respectfully if you are asking just update it. You won't be able to play anything. For the people asking for homebrew either buy two switches or update the one you got.

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Read older posts about what you may and may not be able to do and make a decision yourself. It isn't that difficult.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was lucky enough to pick up a 3.0.0 switch and I don't know if i should update or leave it as is. Advice?
Once you think about it, Switch homebrew is not worth it. Let's say we finally make a launcher, okay. What apps can you possibly make. Loadiine (For piracy), WUP Installer (Also for piracy), FTP App, Save Data Tool, What else?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Once you think about it, Switch homebrew is not worth it. Let's say we finally make a launcher, okay. What apps can you possibly make. Loadiine (For piracy), WUP Installer (Also for piracy), FTP App, Save Data Tool, What else?
What else?
WHAT ELSE?!
Cheat codes, save dumps/restores, motherfucking RETROARCH with all of the ARM compatible cores (almost all of them), media player, a proper browser, yet you ask what else?!

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
If you already own a WiiU...Not that much I guess. But if you dont, then god yes its worth it.
And yes, as have @ShadowOne333 said. Retroarch should be most wonderful. Playing some Chrono Trigger on toilet and Battletoads on the beach, or instead of listening to a nagging gf/wife/exwife/soontobewife you can play some Earthbound and have fun? Yes please!

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

europat

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what should you do with it ? You should send it over to me so I can keep mine at 2.1 and update your's to 4.0 to play Odyssey, that's great idea :)

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are literally no true exploits at the moment and don't expect any soon. Also with the Switch still being at its infancy, Nintendo could easily patch it.
Just update it, unless you want a unused Switch laying around for months or maybe even years.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
If you update it past 3.0.0 you may never get a chance to run any homebrew or backups on it, or at least for a very, very long time. And you can't downgrade from a higher firmware version either, because of something called "eFuses" (tiny connections inside the CPU that burn off once an update finishes).

I bought a Switch on 2.2.0 two weeks ago and I'm never updating it. Borrowed "Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild" (which is a launch title) from a friend at work, and it's a fantastic game. When I'm done with the game, the Switch is going back in the box for another 6 months or so.

Too bad about newer games... They'll require a higher firmware, but maybe once the Switch is jailbroken we could decrypt them and remove that firmware requirement, like on the PSP/PS3.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
Think about it this way: There is currently an exploit which allows loading a homebrew launcher, which only works on 3.0.0 and below. However, it hasn't been released to the public yet, and it may be some time until it is.
If you're on 3.0.0, you can't play many new games, but you can play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, BOTW, that kind of thing - and NES Golf of course.
Your choice.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What else?
WHAT ELSE?!
Cheat codes, save dumps/restores, motherfucking RETROARCH with all of the ARM compatible cores (almost all of them), media player, a proper browser, yet you ask what else?!

If you already own a WiiU...Not that much I guess. But if you dont, then god yes its worth it.
And yes, as have @ShadowOne333 said. Retroarch should be most wonderful. Playing some Chrono Trigger on toilet and Battletoads on the beach, or instead of listening to a nagging gf/wife/exwife/soontobewife you can play some Earthbound and have fun? Yes please!
Now is all that worth missing out on Super Mario Oddysey and other really fun games?

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're fine with the library available on 3.0.0 and below, and would rather have homebrew; don't update.
If you would rather play newer games and don't care too much for homebrew; update.

I'm personally going to wait on a lower firm for retroarch and a good web browser if it's possible.

Frysenberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're fine with the library available on 3.0.0 and below, and would rather have homebrew; don't update.

Not only this, but physical copies only. You need to update to use the eShop or download anything purchased on Nintendo's site, even if they require 3.0.0 or lower.

Reactions: 8BitWonder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"