Hacking What "particular model of optical disc burner" is the SDK man docs talking about?

uyjulian

Homebrewer
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
  • CAT-R Development Systems
    • The CAT-R is a Cafe development system equipped with an optical ROM drive.
    • A PC equipped with a particular model of optical disc burner is required to write Cafe master images to R-discs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
it's leaked
And that makes it okay? :)

Anywho, it means exactly what it says - a burner compatible with the Wii U drive, meaning whatever burner comes with the development kit. Even if you had a compatible drive or modified one to be compatible, the burned images will still only be readable on the testing unit tied to the development kit. The leaked documentation has little value to normal users.

FearItSelf23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that makes it okay? :)

Yes, that does make it ok. The NDA doesn't apply to people who never signed it...

It got leaked and therefore we can talk about it all we want. It's Nintendo's job to curb leaks. Our job to facilitate the wii u homebrew development scene.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, that does make it ok. The NDA doesn't apply to people who never signed it...
That is correct, you're entitled to store the whole set and do whatever you please with it. You're also not entitled to share it anywhere, especially not here, and this applies to any and all of the set's constituents, however small and minute, just in case someone gets the bright idea to share it here. Just because something's "leaked" doesn't mean that it's "okay" to share it, which is my whole point. :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think this "particular model of optical disc burner" is how "scene releaser" are dumping the Wii U discs.
It's probably just a slightly modified off-the-shelf drive. The Wii U's drive is Panasonic-made, if that's any lead. ;)

oFsCEGJ.jpg

FearItSelf23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is correct, you're entitled to store the whole set and do whatever you please with it. You're also not entitled to share it anywhere, especially not here, and this applies to any and all of the set's constituents, however small and minute, just in case someone gets the bright idea to share it here. Just because something's "leaked" doesn't mean that it's "okay" to share it, which is my whole point. :)

Ah, yes of course providing the leak here isn't allowed.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
The drives listed are these two but it's unrelated to the CAT-R, you don't need it to make the masters of the games but you need the special Nintendo discs whatever is different about them.

Panasonic LF-PB371 (LF)
Panasonic UJ240 (UJ)

Kinda implies they can rip games too?

I think this "particular model of optical disc burner" is how "scene releaser" are dumping the Wii U discs.

It's not what i heard but VENOM might have done it for that first one which was broken too.. POWERUP don't have a clue and the drives weren't listed in the older SDK. Someone just gave these guys dumps to release, they don't have the method or more would be done.. well FAKE is 'real' ha ha probably the guys behind the ODE making some actual releases to play before it comes out.

Someone mentioned using a PS3 to dump them maybe cause it's the only blu-ray they had that was easily modifiable around, would be a weird lie to say otherwise.

Good luck to the guys who will be uploading 25gb isos cause we need all the bytes, ALL

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot just dump a Wii U disk and burn a copy, no matter if it's dev kit media or not. Retail systems will not boot media except for the proper wii u retail media.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Rip a copy... rip a copy. And thats the thing they can burn that particular media, thats why they pointed them out? If you could get a hold of the discs it would work is what the SDK was saying. it might be notable for other reasons, like ease of firmware hacking like when the 360 used standard pc drives. Also it was interesting but the flag for Cat-R games is listed as the same as retail on one page, i don't know what it means by that. It makes it sound like the discs would work .. right i had a quick look, CAT-R is not debug but of course the media is still the problem.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could likely also physically modify a blu-ray drive to read the disks unless they deviate from the standard physically. Similar to ripping 360 games with a high-TOC disk and swapping.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As it was said above, there's no reason why a normal compatible drive wouldn't be able to dump the discs unless they're heavily modified. As for burning the discs, even if you had original Nintendo media and an original Nintendo burner, the copy still would not be readable by a retail Wii U because SDK images are signed for a particular SDK unit. Now, if you burned a proper and complete Wii U dump of a working game, that's different.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it was said above, there's no reason why a normal compatible drive wouldn't be able to dump the discs unless they're heavily modified. As for burning the discs, even if you had original Nintendo media and an original Nintendo burner, the copy still would not be readable by a retail Wii U because SDK images are signed for a particular SDK unit. Now, if you burned a proper and complete Wii U dump of a working game, that's different.

Clearly some of the nfos have stated (IIRC) that they were done with a WiiU drive. They NEVER said it was inside and connected to the WiiU at the same time. (me thinks hotswap)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Clearly some of the nfos have stated (IIRC) that they were done with a WiiU drive. They NEVER said it was inside and connected to the WiiU at the same time. (me thinks hotswap)
Entirely possible - why re-invent the wheel when there are readily available drives out there. I was just saying that there's no reason why another drive wouldn't be able to do the same job.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Entirely possible - why re-invent the wheel when there are readily available drives out there. I was just saying that there's no reason why another drive wouldn't be able to do the same job.

I was just trying to say (for groups in desperate need of bitcoins) that THE cheapest and THE laziest approach would be donor drive and donor authorization.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was just trying to say (for groups in desperate need of bitcoins) that THE cheapest and THE laziest approach would be donor drive and donor authorization.
I thought that would be the obvious go-to drive, seeing that it reads the original medium... :P

To lighten the atmosphere I'll say "Hey! At least there's not a whole lot of games to dump! ;O;". :tpi:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1