What kind of stuff do you like seeing during loading screens?

What kind of stuff you like seeing during loading times?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Over the year, loading screens in games have been a big deal, many games have loading screens, and while we rather just get to the game as soon as possible, is become common to have them. Though some games have these screens with something there rather just a black screen or the words LOADING...

Some have artwork from the game or the various illustrations saved over from the development process, some have facts about the history of the games series or even the publishers history, some have interactive features like being able to control things, some have small easter eggs, or useful tips. But what do you like to see during the loading times you are forced to wait?

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I like all of the stuff in the poll. I voted for developer history because that's always interesting to see. Any loading screen with some kind of interactable object or something for me to read will suffice. Because I have ADHD, I get all fidgety during the loading screens. At least on loading screens with nothing on them, control inputs don't do anything. :)

Last edited by Magical Sheep,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
One of the conveniences of playing rocksmith: you can just pluck some riff you know by heart during loading times.

In my case, I'm working on the intro of "redemption song". :P

EDIT: sorry... Misread the thread title.
What I like seeing is trivia. Not the 'tips' that are either obvious or a joy to discover within the game itself, but the stuff that you wouldn't find out otherwise. Be it a few fragments of history of the game world before the game started or even beyond the game aspect. Trivia on the writer, how the game came to be or even bits referring to esports.

EDIT 2: why only a single vote poll? Minigames or practice round would be great as well (provided they don't add to the loading time).

Last edited by Taleweaver,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Game tips/Lore + Illustration that you can interact with

Skyrim does this perfectly.
this + an optional minigame!

btw, anyone remember the commodore (or other tape systems) loadings?
they always triggered me because *ho yea, the extra time to load the loading could be useful for load the actual game*

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I forget which but one of the "send in a hardnut to clear a room" games had a little endless darkness arena in which you could practice combos and the like. I would have added a dummy enemy or something but that sort of thing works for me.

On tips then several times when reviewing games now I have learned things that would really have been quite useful to know some time before. That annoyed me when it happened, though not as much as being denied access to some menus because to get there would trigger a cutscene and with it a boss battle.

I have been playing a lot of battlefield 4 lately (hardcore mode is where it is at). I really annoys me that I can't fiddle with my weapons setup (it is not my profile I play on so I try to put the weapons back how I found them) or see the server info (mainly map rotation) when I am watching a load screen or a end of match summary, and quitting/doing a server search is also tricky.

For the most part though something moving so I can tell it has not crashed is all I really seek. It was once remarked that if you ever reached for another computing device when using another (reached for a phone when sitting on a PC sort of thing) then something has gone wrong. I agree but I still have my DS or something so I can spin a round of Tetris or something.

and the obligatory old man comment of "when I were a lad we were happy when loading a game if we got some cool pixel art, and loading took several minutes guaranteed"
http://www.gamesradar.com/a-celebration-of-c64-loading-screens/

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm extremely familiar with loading screens, seen billions of them (speedrunning does that to one)

Anyway I don't care if they're black or filled with pics, I just want them to go away as fast as possible.

Primalus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm particular to moving designs that relate to the game (think of like those mesmerizing gifs that are all over the internet but related to the game).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here