What sports game/simulated sport do you want to see back in game form?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Ew sports games" is a fairly widely echoed sentiment, be in playing them, seeing them litter the shelves, boxes and whatnot of second hand game shops and places you might find old games for cheap and the like (though can be a useful source of case replacements).

That said there are sure to be some sports you resonate with at some level. Whether it is because they had their day in the sun, because modern games are expensive (or at least they tell me they are) or for reasons unknown to mortal man then you might have got one or two games during the PS1, PS2 and maybe a bit of the PS3 era but they stopped being made or stopped being made well (miss you xbox era MX vs ATV). We might not even get handheld versions any more (though cash grab mobile phone games could still be in play, there is a reason we can ignore them in this though).

I am also counting offshoots in this so if you were a Fifa street fan then despite the mainline fifa (and to a lesser extent pro evo) still being around then it is in play, and if you prefer sports management sims then also count in this if straight simulation is still littering charity shop shelves to this day. Try to make it that kind of difference though rather than "I was a fan of college American football but now only have big leagues".

So then most likely format to do any good is sport in question, game you think set the benchmark, last game you might have played that sort of worked and if different anything vaguely like a modern attempt.

Friends of mine don't go in for skateboards (though they are suffering a bit since the demise of Skate, Tony Hawk's throwback was not bad when I gave it a spin but... eh) but do go in for BMX, and skateparks are still full of them whenever I go to them. BMX games were once considerable in scope, Dave Mirra (Acclaim had a bit of a footing in this world with motocross/supercross, ATV, roller blading/inline skates a bit later) and Mat Hoffman (same "line" and engine base as Tony Hawk of the era, various amounts of cross pollination between the games as well). Few indy attempts have been made, fairly experimental (if comparing to skateboard games then stuff like Session and skater XL) but the last was probably either the PSP game (Dave Mirra BMX Challenge) in 2007 or its Wii port a few months later. The PSP one took a while to click but I did actually quite like it.

Covering releases over the years I have seen things like Aussie rules football (though a quick search says they are making these again), various forms of American motorsports get one off titles (Nascar kart racing could count as an offshoot, though stuff like World of Outlaws Sprint Cars, which even managed to get a physical PAL release albeit in Australia,).

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd like remakes of the classic "games" series, Summer Games, California Games, World Games, ...
But the remaking should only improve the gfx and sound, not the gameplay!

Since they require digital joysticks, they need to come prepackaged with great un-destroy-able joysticks.

But i guess you asked about "serious" sports games.

I agree about BMX games so far, that i really enjoyed Matt Hoffmanns Pro BMX which just was a redress of TonyHawk with bikes.
They should have remaked that like THPS1+2

I also really enjoyed Virtua Tennis on the DC, as i had 3 controllers and a gun, which worked as a 4th controller.
It was really fun with 3 friends.
But with current consoles i don't have more than 1 controller (xbox /ps4), so that'S not likely.

The last soccer game i played, was the prepacked module on the C64.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I want more Skateboarding games like the Tony Hawk's series. Everything else is trying to be a simulator, which is fine but overdone.

Played a bit of Skatebird and enjoyed it, and of course the awesome THPS 1+ 2, but it just leaves me wanting more. Guess there's always THUG Pro but it's not really new and exciting anymore either.

Otherwise, more Pro Wrestling games would also be very welcomed, and I'm hoping the AEW game turns out good. This category has got more or less the same issue, lately, where there's one type of game coming out and some variety would be very much appreciated. Had a blast growing up playing ECW Hardcore Revolution, WCW vs. NWO Revenge, and WWF No Mercy on the N64. Each one offered a unique experience, with some similarities between the games that shared an engine.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
More switch sports! Baseball, boxing, golf etc (I know golf is coming soon).

Boxing games have been nonexistent for a while now.. I used to enjoy Fight Night.

Also: light gun games… this needs a revival!

Remaster the Super Scope, who doesn’t want a bazooka peripheral?!

Reactions: TraderPatTX

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably should have noted snowboarding in that.

I would not mind whether it goes quite as insane as SSX at its peak (we might debate when that is but I might go for the original xbox -- it along with MX vs ATV on said same was some good times, in both cases some of the later games in the series were certainly good ) or a bit more in the simulation world (I would say 1080 but I was never a great fan of its controls, preferred some of the PS1 efforts).

Played Steep when it went basically free to play but a lot of it was gated and the controls never quite clicked (it was a multi discipline game so like many of those not as tight as a more dedicated thing ends up), and from reading reviews I imagine the more recent Riders Republic is going to be the same thing.

Probably should get around to the Shaun White stuff, though if it takes after his skateboarding game then might not be quite what I go for.

Compared to PS1, N64 and early PS2 era though the lack of choice is astounding.

Reactions: KiiWii

RoryJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would especially awesome to see a revival of the MLB Power Pros series in the west. I loved both games that released here to bits and the Japanese counterparts scratch the itch but not fully for me

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heh... I played through 1080 snowboarding on the steam deck (dolphin) a couple months ago. They don't make'em like they used to anymore. :(

Edit... Forgot: a soccer game that's actually fun. Last i liked was behold the kickmen, and that went... A bit to much on the idea of the author not knowing soccer. :P

Also: I gotta ask... Had there ever been a true karate simulation game? Not an offer the top fighter but an honest idea of what the sport is about?

Reactions: KiiWii

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heh... I played through 1080 snowboarding on the steam deck (dolphin) a couple months ago. They don't make'em like they used to anymore. :(

Edit... Forgot: a soccer game that's actually fun. Last i liked was behold the kickmen, and that went... A bit to much on the idea of the author not knowing soccer. :P

Also: I gotta ask... Had there ever been a true karate simulation game? Not an offer the top fighter but an honest idea of what the sport is about?
Assuming we don't count International Karate*/World Karate Championship (somewhat forgotten today but seminal in the evolution of fighting games) then true simulation fighters (much less scored) are few and far between, and most concern weapons (be it various older fighting games where getting an arm chopped off/disabled is a real hazard, even more so if you carry it to round 2, or more Euro style things in Mount and Blade and things that want to be Mount and Blade like Mordhau) or are basically UFC/MMA (whether you could enter that as a two karate practitioners and have it be meaningful I don't know) which means grapples/floor work all day long.

*its theme tune is perhaps not one of Mr Hubbard's best but even that is what some wish they could do

@FAST6191 Shaun White was decent with the Wii fit board iirc :)
I do have a Wii fit board sitting around. Might have to have a look.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Might as well have some videos of those

Isn't the latter basically track and field? Which they were still making on the DS at least

There was apparently an awful 90s PC game of strongman as well but seeing a video of it just now it was so 90s it is now my new reference for it

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
every other genre has 99% of its potential to explore still and still many improvements to made. sports games on the other hand could die tomorrow and it would be a good thing for mankind. when i was young i loved sports games. but now im mature i could see its all the same shit rehashed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO