Homebrew What is the best GB/GBC Emulator for the DS?

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Something that works on a G6 Lite
I've forgotten how all the DLDI patching and stuff works cause I haven't been flashing homebrew in ages, but I'll figure it out I guess, I just need you guys to help me out and tell me what the best emulator is and one that's easy to use.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys.
Can either Goomba or Lameboy change the color palette of GB games so that they're all green and black like on the original big Gameboy?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lameboy and Goomba Color are your main options. I believe v0.10 of Lameboy added the green GB-like palette, while Goomba Color has had it for a while.

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
I much prefer Lameboy over Goomba for the following reasons:
1) It has savestates working perfectly.
2) It is made for the DS(not needing a SLOT2)
3) It loads compressed roms(.Zip, save a chump of space)
4) It stretches and filters GB/GBC games so they look bigger on the DS.

Shinigami Kiba said:
Thanks guys.
Can either Goomba or Lameboy change the color palette of GB games so that they're all green and black like on the original big Gameboy?
Lameboy allows you to switch between Green and Grey.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried both Lameboy and Goomba, Goomba's palette is closer to the original gameboy but Lameboy's stretching of the image does wonders for a blind guy like me
smile.gif
plus it seems like the better Emulator overall.

Now, my only problem with Lameboy is that it doesn't seem to save with the in-game saves in games. I played Metroid 2, saved a couple times and the save was there until I turned off my DS, after that it was gone and slot 1 which I played on would start the game from the beginning.

I'd prefer not using save states in games like Metroid and stuff, so guys is it just me or does Lameboy have no support for in-game saves for GB games?

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami Kiba said:
I tried both Lameboy and Goomba, Goomba's palette is closer to the original gameboy but Lameboy's stretching of the image does wonders for a blind guy like me
smile.gif
plus it seems like the better Emulator overall.

Now, my only problem with Lameboy is that it doesn't seem to save with the in-game saves in games. I played Metroid 2, saved a couple times and the save was there until I turned off my DS, after that it was gone and slot 1 which I played on would start the game from the beginning.

I'd prefer not using save states in games like Metroid and stuff, so guys is it just me or does Lameboy have no support for in-game saves for GB games?
Actually, after you save in-game you have to press Y to save completely. It's not like a save state.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see, so I just save at a save point and hit Y?
Why did they do it like that? Could saves from one game make it so that saves from another don't work or something if the emulator just has one big save file, or should I just not worry about that stuff and hit Y when I save.

Passa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To make sure you don't forget, just hit both bumpers when you're done playing the game. This takes you back to the ROM menu but also saves the GB battery at the same time. Then turn off the DS and your save will be there on next boot.

I think Lameboy is great (besides the occasional lag), I just wish it had link cable support over DS wifi (Pokemon Silver/Gold/Crystal link play anyone?). I'd cut off my right arm for that.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saving is done with X by default, not Y. However, pressing R to see the Lameboy menu and then selecting "Exit" will update the *.sav file on your card before returning to the rom menu. I think (not sure) that "L+R" is for v0.9 and below, not v0.10 or v0.11 which have the new Lameboy menu.

Passa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
He listed it as a feature he wanted in future versions, but apparently there is no way to use ad-hoc wifi functions with the homebrew SDK?..

D

Deleted User

Hmm, in gpSP Kai Unofficial Test whatever release, they started to implement Ad-Hoc on the PSP... would it be as easy on the DS? Would it work in the same way?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.