Hacking What Firmware is ideal for this card? + Other Questions

SuperSonicRacer1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I bought this card here: http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149 because I read that it won't stop working after 2018 (Didn't even know that was a thing!), but I need to know, what's the correct Firmware for it? I keep reading that Wood 1.62 is the latest, yet I also see Wood 1.64. So which one is ACTUALLY correct? Also, why exactly do some cards stop working after 2018?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I bought this card here: http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149 because I read that it won't stop working after 2018 (Didn't even know that was a thing!), but I need to know, what's the correct Firmware for it? I keep reading that Wood 1.62 is the latest, yet I also see Wood 1.64. So which one is ACTUALLY correct? Also, why exactly do some cards stop working after 2018?
Theres a thing called "TimeBomb" or TimeStampBomb or whatever, which pretty much its just a limiter of a date, as example, cards released on 2009 set a stime stamp to 2011, therefore they stop working once the 3DS or DS date hit that, however, the fix is just move the calendar some days and voila!.

As for the kernel of the card, use the original form the distirbutor, or just use wood.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
r4i gold 3ds rts runs wood and has no timebomb

only carts that have r4isdhc.com on the cart have timebombs nowadays

If you happen to have one of those r4isdhc.com carts you can use ysmenu to bypass the timebomb

Edit: that cart is r4ids.cn so download your kernel there

Last edited by Adeka,

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Wood 1.64?
yes use wood 1.64

go to the download section of their website and download from there, see picture below
where to download.png

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I had heard of timebomb carts before, but didn't know what it meant. I have a knockoff R4 2014 thingy that runs Wood. Anyway to flash it to else maybe?
carts that run wood kernel can't have timebombs, only carts that run the r4 kernel can have timebombs

I don't recommend using ysmenu as your kernel unless you have a timebomb cart

but wood is the best kernel to use anyway, not sure why you would want to use a different one.

wood>ysmenu>r4

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
carts that run wood kernel can't have timebombs, only carts that run the r4 kernel can have timebombs

I don't recommend using ysmenu as your kernel unless you have a timebomb cart

but wood is the best kernel to use anyway, not sure why you would want to use a different one.

wood>ysmenu>r4

No, I am well aware of all that, was just wondering what in the cart tells it to shut down, and if that can be bypassed.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I am well aware of all that, was just wondering what in the cart tells it to shut down, and if that can be bypassed.
They just edit the kernel to check the date on your console and boot to the timebomb screen if it's past a certain date

The only other way to bypass the timebomb besides using ysmenu as your kernel is to set your consoles date to before the timebombs expiration date

but this obviously screws with games that rely on the clock like animal crossing and pokemon

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just edit the kernel to check the date on your console and boot to the timebomb screen if it's past a certain date

The only other way to bypass the timebomb besides using ysmenu as your kernel is to set your consoles date to before the timebombs expiration date

but this obviously screws with games that rely on the clock like animal crossing and pokemon

Overwriting the boot loader wouldn't fix it? (For example since it clearly seems to be an R4i Gold clone, flash it to that)

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overwriting the boot loader wouldn't fix it? (For example since it clearly seems to be an R4i Gold clone, flash it to that)
if it was that easy it would be fixed right now

but I plan to try to flash my 2012 onto my 2015 one when ntrboot supports the dual core carts (2012 runs wood while 2015 runs r4 timebomb)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As far as I know, the only cart that did was the weird Cyclo DSI card, and if I recall, it was buggy.
Yes you're right. Only the iEvo supports DSi enhanced games and many didn't have proper dumps/don't work properly. The situation got a bit better with a few proper DSi enhanced dumps by pussycat. But I wouldn't call the iEvo "weird" :P At my oppinion the CycloDS EOS is better than Wood.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok