Hacking What firmware comes with the new pokemon x and y 3ds?

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Limited edition 3DS that is going to be launched or is launched a week or 2 before the launch of Pokemon X & Y
Whilst 4.5 came out in..... 2012?
Yeh, I'm certain of that 3DS not having 4.5

The Gateway might eventually support firmwares higher then 4.5 but for now, no.

I was referring to the game, not the console. I should've been clearer, my bad!

I didn't know Nintendo had a way to block specific features like firmware spoofing. I thought they could only block whole flashcarts, which would in turn block all its features.

Well, technically, there's always a way.

Reactions: IronClouds

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was referring to the game, not the console. I should've been clearer, my bad!

No prob;]
In me first post I was referring to the console ahah.

Gamewise, Gatewat should be able to spoof it yes.
But noone knows what type of savegame it uses.
Could be NAND saving.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No prob;]
In me first post I was referring to the console ahah.

Gamewise, Gatewat should be able to spoof it yes.
But noone knows what type of savegame it uses.
Could be NAND saving.

Again with the NAND stuff >.< Why couldn't be just an actual anti piracy measure instead of using a difficult to get and (maybe) expensive memory just for the task? Pokémon games have never had the need of saving that much information, even with one thousand of Pokémon in storage.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Again with the NAND stuff >.< Why couldn't be just an actual anti piracy measure instead of using a difficult to get and (maybe) expensive memory just for the task? Pokémon games have never had the need of saving that much information, even with one thousand of Pokémon in storage.

Ninty does everything to stop piracy.
Even if it comes to using expensive memory to save.

Piracy on the DS was incredibly high, and Ninty has all the rights to make games difficult to play on flashcards.
A bit of piracy isn't bad at all, it could help boost sales.
But what happened to the DS was a disaster.

Mainly due to the incredibly cheap and shit R4 clones.....
Well that and social media also played a role in it.
Without people filming it and putting it on youtube/facebook/whatever, a lot of people would never even have an R4.

GBA days where different...
Only marketing the GBA cards got was lucky googlers and "underground" hacking communities.

In short:
It COULD be NAND saving.
Could be something else.
I got no clue.
But I hope that Pokemon isn't playable on the Gateway (atleast for a while)

Reactions: NEP and IronClouds

Acidburn135

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this mean I won't be able to play my pokemon game to thus fullest if I don't update firmware if I intend to use gateway?
-Probably a firmware prompt when game starts up to the most recent
-I probably can't do wifi battles, GTS, or other multi player features because it won't allow me online without firmware update
-if I ever want to be able to trade my old pokemon to X&Y I have to go on the e shop to download poke bank and transfer which requires updates firmware when it comes out Dec 6th.
So with all that looks almost impossible to not be limited when playing the game if I ever intend to use gateway.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So does this mean I won't be able to play my pokemon game to thus fullest if I don't update firmware if I intend to use gateway?
-Probably a firmware prompt when game starts up to the most recent
-I probably can't do wifi battles, GTS, or other multi player features because it won't allow me online without firmware update
-if I ever want to be able to trade my old pokemon to X&Y I have to go on the e shop to download poke bank and transfer which requires updates firmware when it comes out Dec 6th.
So with all that looks almost impossible to not be limited when playing the game if I ever intend to use gateway.

Basically, the game will force you to update to firmware 6.1, so you would say good bye to the exploitable 4.5> version. The other point is that you can't use online features if you are playing a ROM with Gateway.

BrokenHearted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the game force you to update if you don't try to use the online functions? I'm willing to play pokémon (the actual cartridge, not rom) without online features or Pokémon trading if I could still play it on a 4.5 3DS XL. I want to keep the ability to use Gateway while being able to play Pokémon. Because I'm seriously debating whether or not to buy Gateway or not...

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does the game force you to update if you don't try to use the online functions? I'm willing to play pokémon (the actual cartridge, not rom) without online features or Pokémon trading if I could still play it on a 4.5 3DS XL. I want to keep the ability to use Gateway while being able to play Pokémon. Because I'm seriously debating whether or not to buy Gateway or not...

Just like PSP games forced the user to update in order to begin to play the game (just for booting the game), new 3DS games contain an firmware upgrade and if you refuse to update, the game won't boot.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica

Depends on the game, some games will legitimately require an update to work properly. Games with online features will only ask for an update when you try and use any of the online features, ie mario kart. This behavior is expected for Pokemon when it comes to the online features. As for what it will actually do, we will not know until the game is released.

BrokenHearted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll probably wait to see if the update for the cartridge version is mandatory and if so, if Gateway can play Pokémon rom, or if the update isn't mandatory, I'll think about getting a Gateway.

linuxGuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll probably wait to see if the update for the cartridge version is mandatory and if so, if Gateway can play Pokémon rom, or if the update isn't mandatory, I'll think about getting a Gateway.
The gateway should soon be able to backup your own cartridges: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-firmware-v2-0-new-ui-and-more.355472/ So you should still be able to buy pokemon and use gateway even if pokemon comes with a newer update. Of course it is possible that pokemon could have anti piracy, but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I live maybe 3 minutes from a Dairy Queen, so I would just go there for ice cream anything anyways. I usually get the Oreo Blizzard, or a Peanut Buster Parfait.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats a dairy queen?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ice cream shop
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, mmmm ice cream
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Uremums a dairy queen
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: