What do GBAtemp official reviewers think of PS Portal?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think I've seen a review of PS Portal (hah, I'm not calling it PSP) here and wondering what are the opinion of the individual(s) who'll review it.

I personally have been trying to find a valid reason to buy it, but I haven't found one. My phone with an attached controller (I'll get Backbone One when there's a deal) can do that and so can a PC/Laptop, too.

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you mean us folks I don't think any of us have bought one, and I don't think we'll be sent one for review, so it's unlikely to get any coverage in the near future.

My personal take is that it fills a very niche role and probably does it well for the folks who just want a very nice screen with some very nice and familiar controls for their PS5. The obvious issue on the table is that it just does what it does. If it just ran Android apps it''d genuinely be a really cool package for the price.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The biggest issue is the connection problems it have. If that was stable, it would probably be somewhat justified.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Mobile streaming using apps like PSplay work really well for Android. I played most of Persona 5 through it and had a blast. But then I installed Chiaki on my Steam Deck, which works beautifully, because 16:10 isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than the 20:9 ratio of phones. The screen scales a lot better, and it's all a lot more viewable. However, streaming is still janky as all get out, at least for me, and I've got gigabit.

The PS Vita was shockingly good at remote play to the PS4, and could even connect offline. Knowing that experience, and assuming the PS Portal is any bit similar, I could see it genuinely being a fun niche device if you have a lot of people using the TV at home. Or you just like gaming in bed sometimes.

The problem is that so many devices already do that, and you don't have to shell out for them if you've got a phone, or tablet, or what have you. It's all dependant on if you want a super specialized device and you use it enough to justify it, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been