What do you think is biggest failure in gaming?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol! That bad, huh? I wasn't even aware about the existence of said console.
Konix were a crazy company they tried to make a console that the games came on floppy disc lol. Yet for some reason they had managed to convince some of the world's biggest companies to make games for the system including Capcom. Technically the Multisystem failed twice as it then was further developed by Atari after Konix died and it became the Atari Jaguar.

Reactions: Flame and Lostbhoy

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Terminator 2 on the Commodore 64 GS is another huge failure for one rather huge and bizarre reason. You could not actually play the game lol. You would load the game then on the title screen it would say press space bar to start the game. What's the problem you ask well the GS had no keyboard so no space bar.

Yes Ocean Software actually brought out a game cart for the GS that you couldn't play on the GS and then to make matters worse Commodore advertised the game as the killer app for the system :rofl2:

Now as fuck ups go that one is hard to beat.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Duke Nukem Forever has to be high up on the list given how long it was in (and out of) development. As bad as that was though, it was still just one game. Fortnite has been a cancer on the entire gaming industry ever since it launched, not only because it has no character/personality of its own, not only because it preys on children's impulse buys, but also because it killed one of the most iconic gaming IPs of all time: Unreal Tournament. Hell, even Gears of War makes Fortnite look like Superman 64, but as long as Epic's lowest-effort project keeps printing money there's no incentive for them to focus on anything else.

As far as platforms go, EGS is right there alongside the Nokia N-Gage and Nintendo Virtual Boy, and that's another thing that wouldn't exist without Fortnite.

Last edited by Xzi,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I think in general one of gaming's biggest failures is how its become acceptable to release games in such a broken / unfinished state, then fix them at some point in the future if they can be bothered.

Another failure I think is how a game does really well, then the next decade is spent churning sequel after sequel in the franchise until its no longer enjoyable. Personally I think Halo is a good example of this, they should have stopped after Halo Reach. Likewise with Gears of War, It kinda gets to the point where everything has been done and they don't really improve upon anything.

Gaming events in general I'd say the Xbox One Launch, that pretty much undid the amazing run the Xbox 360 had over the last 8 years. I say that as someone who was massively in to the Xbox 360 also.

JonahPennington

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Indeed, there have been several notable failures in the gaming industry throughout the years. The Ouya is often mentioned as one of the biggest failures in gaming. The Ouya was a microconsole that gained significant attention and hype during its Kickstarter campaign in 2012. However, it failed to live up to expectations for several reasons:
  1. Lack of compelling games: The Ouya struggled to attract high-quality games that would entice players to purchase the console. While it promised a library of indie games, many of them were mediocre or unpolished, failing to capture the interest of gamers.
  2. Poor hardware and performance: The Ouya's hardware was underpowered compared to other consoles of its time, such as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. This resulted in limited graphical capabilities and performance issues, leading to a subpar gaming experience.
  3. Limited market appeal: The Ouya targeted a niche market of gamers who were interested in indie games and open-source development. However, it failed to attract a broader audience due to its lack of mainstream games, limited features, and weak marketing efforts.

Reactions: Flame

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The first that comes to mind is Nintendo f**king up the partnership with Sony. I wonder how the console marked would have looked if Nintendo followed up on that deal.
Then you have Nokia N-gage, a handheld gaming phone.
And at last, No Man's sky launch. It's surprising the developers did survive lunching the game in that state. But NMS are also one of the better comeback stories in modern gaming history

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A non game called Sadness for the Wii.
Promised a lot of interactivity with the Wiimote on the trailer.
It was a video of a girl making gestures with it.

Still hurts.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it has to be the Saturn. Between the terrible launch timing overlapping the awful 32X , the price versus the Playstation, and the hard to develop on architecture for 3D, it completely killed Sega's console market, even if it took another generation to peter out.

MoshpitWorkout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That was the result of years of mistakes by Sega.

I think it has to be the Saturn. Between the terrible launch timing overlapping the awful 32X , the price versus the Playstation, and the hard to develop on architecture for 3D, it completely killed Sega's console market, even if it took another generation to peter out.

Sega really fucked themselves out of the console market. Apparently there was a lot of tension between Sega of America and Sega (of Japan) which resulted in Sega competing with itself and eventually collapsing. This was probably exacerbated by the rapid console release cycle that @duwen mentioned:

The unnecessary cycle of new hardware every 6 (ish) years...

One thing we need to remember was that hardware was changing so rapidly back then. The joke that computers were outdated the minute you walked out of the store wasn't really far off. So companies were pretty much forced to throw out the old hardware as soon as possible and Sega tried to have their cake and eat it too by adding so many peripherals to the Mega Drive.

A better option would (maybe) have been to make the Saturn backwards-compatible with the Mega Drive. That would have let them move with the market towards CD based games while keeping the people who had a huge collection of games around.

Reactions: Flame and duwen

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sega really fucked themselves out of the console market. Apparently there was a lot of tension between Sega of America and Sega (of Japan) which resulted in Sega competing with itself and eventually collapsing. This was probably exacerbated by the rapid console release cycle that

The video I linked to in my post goes through some of these, including releasing the Saturn too soon.

A better option would (maybe) have been to make the Saturn backwards-compatible with the Mega Drive. That would have let them move with the market towards CD based games while keeping the people who had a huge collection of games around.

I have a feeling this was considered at one point, given that Sega had previously implemented BC on the MD/Gen (albeit via an adapter), the inclusion of an easily accessiblw cart slot and the use of a M68K CPU as a sound controller reminds me of the Z80's use in allot of games on the MD/Gen.

The Z80 could possibly have been software emulated, I've played GG games decently on my Amiga 1200 with 8MB RAM.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
"cloud streaming as a service"

Latency will always be the nail in the coffin, and why do they stream a video of your gameplay back to you instead of the raw video data? Seems like an extra conversion step that's just not necessary, adding to the latency of what you do in the game vs what you see.

Reactions: Flame and Kioku

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The first that comes to mind is Nintendo f**king up the partnership with Sony. I wonder how the console marked would have looked if Nintendo followed up on that deal.
Please explain exactly how Nintendo fucked up the deal?? It's well known Sony tricked Nintendo into signing a contract that meant Nintendo would make Zero money from any CD game sold for the system. When Nintendo found out they had no option other than to break the deal and work with Phillips.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TLDR: Goldeneye’s mistreatment after so long and so many barriers, it finally comes out and flops thanks to shoddy emulation.

“Enhanced”: nope.
Updates to fix day one issues: nope.
Horrible to control on switch without the N64 controller: yep.

Sure Xbox got 4K and achievements, but the treatment of it was so lacklustre.

So many issues, no love or care or attention :(

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gaming world has seen many failures over the years. For one reason or another, the game or the device hasn't sold or taken off to be considered a success. This doesn't me it was a bad product. This could be even a moment, but later the company turned it around, for example is the Xbox One launch with Microsoft saying the console would need online access once a day. Another examples are the Earthbound and Beyond Good and Evil games, which received generally positive reviews from critics and players alike but were not a commercial success, which then effected future games in the series one way or another.

Examples are:
  • Xbox One launch
  • Nintendo virtual boy
  • E.T on the Atari
  • Stadia
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • Earthbound
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • PlayStation Classic
  • Shenmue and Shenmue II

For me, it's the PlayStation Vita. It had so much potential. But Sony using Proprietary PS Vita memory, it just didn't take off. Sony gave up on it pretty soon after its launch. It becomes known as an indie console, then later known for its Homebrew scene.

Hay, you might say, the Ouya? What do you think are the biggest failures in gaming and why?
The crash of the entire market Atari caused back in 1983. Nintendo was lucky and managed to revive what was assumed to be a dead market with the NES.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, the C64GS... I'd forgotten all about that! I wanted one so bad at the time to get rid of loading of my tapes... I was surprised it didn't take off at the time but with hindsight I didn't understand the competition it was against until a mate got a Mega drive!

Does the KFC thing count?? Was that even real in the end lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2