Gaming What did you like/dislike about Skyward Sword?

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just finshed Skyward Sword and all I have to say is WOW and yes i do need to write that in capitals
From the graphics to the music this has to be the best zelda yet and where it really stands out is in the story telling, I saw myself standing in certain areas at times and thinking back to other games and thinking "ahh so thats how that happened" especially in the sealed grounds and faron woods.

Nintendo really out done themselves this time and although the motion controls did screw up sometimes and I wish the game semi-paused itself when selecting items this are minor things compared to what the game truly offers.

The only thing that actually pissed me off in the whole entire game was searching for those musical notes after the woods got flooded.

So tell me below what did you like about the game?
Do you think it surpasses other titles in the series?
Do you think it could of been improved on?

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Although the controls were kinda off, I appreciated them implementing the "Center" option to re-center your wii-remote, thats good. Haven't beat the game yet, but the story of the games makes me want to keep playing. Although it make take forever to travel in the sky or run while on the "surface", its alright. Selecting items could have been a little better.

Overall, pretty good so far, im trying my best to finish =D

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is a 7/10 with motion controls, it would have been a 9/10 with standard controls, imo.
It wouldnt of worked with standard controls the wii wouldnt off been able to pick up on the wiimote angles and reproduce them on the sword which would of made the battles against sworded foes completley different, I liked the fact i couldnt keep on slashing to kill enemies, I had to look at their stance and attack where they had let the guard slip. especially against geranhim, the first battle against him annoyed the hell outta me but taught me to attack correspondingly quick time

Reactions: 2 people

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To tell you the truth, In terms of controls, I never want to play Zelda with the old controls. This game is so innovating. These new controls makes it have a much better experience. I never had problems with the wiimote motion + . All moves respond accordingly. I especially LOVE the fact that it takes strategy to kill your enemies. (Took me some time to realize that you must THRUST and not SLASH a Skulltula's belly to kill it :S :P) Anyway, for me, the controls are a 10. For me, it's better to have a new experience with a familiar series and always adding new contents while not changing the formula.

Reactions: 1 person

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Previous zelda games I was hooked from the beginning.
This one I can put down, no problem.

Also the FLYING from A to B sucks.

Is there a lot left to the game after the sandship ( having all weapons )?

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Also the FLYING from A to B sucks.

Your about 3/4 of the way through, about 4-5 hours left

Took me some time to realize that you must THRUST and not SLASH a Skulltula's belly to kill it :S :P
I died twice on the first skulltula before I figured out what to do, and to be honest i had to look at a zelda wiki to figure it out, the beemos and the flying rocket shooters I figured out by completey by accident but I didnt need to glance at the internet for them lol

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Weird thing is, I experienced quite the opposite with Skyward Sword. For the past 3D Zelda titles, I had far more trouble getting into the experience. Twilight Princess was simply too dull for me to immerse myself in, (I haven't played Wind Waker), and both Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time both didn't have the grasp to get me hooked from the very get-go. The way the story progresses in Skyward Sword had me hooked straight in the opening hour. Nothing in the series has done that for me; Skyward Sword is the first to do so. Not a surprise that SS is also the only 3D Zelda I managed to stay interested in all the way to the end.

I think that 4-5 hours comment is quite a bit off. You've still got quite a bit to go afterwards, including two dungeons, three "quests" (can't really say much without spoiling it), and a decent array of boss battles to go through. I'd estimate another 7 to 10 hours.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Weird thing is, I experienced quite the opposite with Skyward Sword. For the past 3D Zelda titles, I had far more trouble getting into the experience. Twilight Princess was simply too dull for me to immerse myself in, (I haven't played Wind Waker), and both Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time both didn't have the grasp to get me hooked from the very get-go. The way the story progresses in Skyward Sword had me hooked straight in the opening hour. Nothing in the series has done that for me; Skyward Sword is the first to do so. Not a surprise that SS is also the only 3D Zelda I managed to stay interested in all the way to the end.

I think that 4-5 hours comment is quite a bit off. You've still got quite a bit to go afterwards, including two dungeons, three "quests" (can't really say much without spoiling it), and a decent array of boss battles to go through. I'd estimate another 7 to 10 hours.

Hmm...that's not a whole lot...

Also the story I find a bit thin... Last major thing I remember is zelda walking through the portal of time..
After that there's no major thing happenening during getting all the flames is there? Does the story pick up after that?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Hmm...that's not a whole lot...

Also the story I find a bit thin... Last major thing I remember is zelda walking through the portal of time..
After that there's no major thing happenening during getting all the flames is there? Does the story pick up after that?
Oh there's quite a bit more to the story after you get the flames. You'll see once you get there.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tis a very long game, I think my run through was 39.30 hours and I done none of the side quests apart from hunting down some tumble weeds for my iron shield, trying to play it on hero mode now but might leave it a week or 2 as its a little tedious playing through again straight afterwards

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SPOILER ALERT

lets see...
The storyline was a 9/10 (especially impa, i hope everyone noticed how similar Groose was to Ganon [and they both start with the letter G], but to actually see them as friends was kewl)

The puzzles were super easy in this zelda game compared to the others so ill give it an 6/10 there.

OH OH i REALLY liked the fact that you could upgrade most of your equipment, so if you killed the right monsters you'll gain the items you need, (something that wasnt in the previous games) so ill give it a 9/10 there too.

Weapons and gadgets were 7/10, you had your normal sword and shield, bomb, slingshot (kinda useless when you have your bow and arrow), then i really liked the beetle, BUT the blower thing was dumb and useless, and so was the whip (you would thing a slingshot would replace that)

As said before each enemy had a strategy and once you had the strategy down, that was it, and the enemies got boring, Take the final boss for example, after died twice i was able to figure out what to do and defeat him with losing only ONE heart!!! i COULD not believe that the final boss was sooooo boring (i could of probably done it with my eyes closed) i thought i was gonna fight him for AT LEAST THREE rounds! but he only lasted 2 so he was SUCH a disappointment so ill give that a 7/10

The goddess cubes were dumb because after you've gotten the equipment to actually reach the cube you had to go back up to find it, which brings me to flying...SUCH a WASTE of time (Thank Goodness for the cheat that made you fly at booster speed). Another waste of time was looking for the dumb notes, which you had to do all over again if you didnt do it in time. Also there was the douchebag robot that wanted to bang the sword (Fi), how can a robot be a douchebag?!? INVALID ARGUMENT 3/10

And i may be nit-picking here, but i expected ALL of skyloft to come back down to the surface after link had vanquished all/most of the evil, it would of made more sense because skyloft fits in the middle of all 3 places, also i was sad to see/ didn't make sense of how after you saved the Thunder Dragon that the dragon didnt stick around to make to revive the desert back to grassland and the robots back up and running, since he was all cured. Also after cure him and hit the time-stone you see that he disappears/dies, but when you're singing the song on top of the sky creature, he shows up again!

Oh i forgot the graphics which if you noticed things will be blurry UNLESS you focus and get close to them, which was not bad but i expected more kinda of...and i kinda wanted link NOT to look the same exact thing as Twilight princess but whatever a 7/10

over all i liked the new stuff that made this zelda different from the other zeldas but was kinda disappointed so i give this a 6.8/10 changing this into 7/10

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont wanna keep playing. struggled through the first three dungeons hoping a new area would open up but its told me to search the same 3 areas again. i'll finish it one day but im sick of it already.

aufgreifen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPOILER ALERT

lets see...
The storyline was a 9/10 (especially impa, i hope everyone noticed how similar Groose was to Ganon [and they both start with the letter G], but to actually see them as friends was kewl)

The puzzles were super easy in this zelda game compared to the others so ill give it an 6/10 there.

OH OH i REALLY liked the fact that you could upgrade most of your equipment, so if you killed the right monsters you'll gain the items you need, (something that wasnt in the previous games) so ill give it a 9/10 there too.

Weapons and gadgets were 7/10, you had your normal sword and shield, bomb, slingshot (kinda useless when you have your bow and arrow), then i really liked the beetle, BUT the blower thing was dumb and useless, and so was the whip (you would thing a slingshot would replace that)

As said before each enemy had a strategy and once you had the strategy down, that was it, and the enemies got boring, Take the final boss for example, after died twice i was able to figure out what to do and defeat him with losing only ONE heart!!! i COULD not believe that the final boss was sooooo boring (i could of probably done it with my eyes closed) i thought i was gonna fight him for AT LEAST THREE rounds! but he only lasted 2 so he was SUCH a disappointment so ill give that a 7/10

The goddess cubes were dumb because after you've gotten the equipment to actually reach the cube you had to go back up to find it, which brings me to flying...SUCH a WASTE of time (Thank Goodness for the cheat that made you fly at booster speed). Another waste of time was looking for the dumb notes, which you had to do all over again if you didnt do it in time. Also there was the douchebag robot that wanted to bang the sword (Fi), how can a robot be a douchebag?!? INVALID ARGUMENT 3/10

And i may be nit-picking here, but i expected ALL of skyloft to come back down to the surface after link had vanquished all/most of the evil, it would of made more sense because skyloft fits in the middle of all 3 places, also i was sad to see/ didn't make sense of how after you saved the Thunder Dragon that the dragon didnt stick around to make to revive the desert back to grassland and the robots back up and running, since he was all cured. Also after cure him and hit the time-stone you see that he disappears/dies, but when you're singing the song on top of the sky creature, he shows up again!

Oh i forgot the graphics which if you noticed things will be blurry UNLESS you focus and get close to them, which was not bad but i expected more kinda of...and i kinda wanted link NOT to look the same exact thing as Twilight princess but whatever a 7/10

over all i liked the new stuff that made this zelda different from the other zeldas but was kinda disappointed so i give this a 6.8/10 changing this into 7/10

I agree for the most part. Also I'd like to add that all the hunting for materials/bugs was boring as well (like the Goddess Cubes). Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the game, but there were just some parts that felt unnecessary. And moreover, they felt like they were made for the sole purpose of gaining more playtime with nothing but running back and forth... I mean, I'd rather have Miyamoto say that I'm about to experience 30-50 hours of solid gameplay rather than 100 hours, which are in reality 50 hours and it feels like 20 hours alone of these are used for stupid running/flying around/farming stuff.

What would have made this game perfect for me, would have been less of the aforementioned stuff and the addition of some kind of field area, that connects all three areas (Skyloft alone isn't really big enough to fit between the usual areas IMHO). Also maybe it would have been nice if the clouds had disappeared with time or something, so you could have flown above the ground (textures to fake distant places ftw).
Well and in the end, there could have been much more information and background about the OoT races - at the very least the Shiekah - IMHO. I was disappointed that there were just some gorons with no home and no backstory and there was no explanation as to why Kokiri exist (or why Link's Kokiri uniform is similar to the hero clothes)... or why the water dragon looked like some huge Zora mutant... really nothing at all :/ At least some innuendos would have been nice :/

All this nitpicky details aside, the game was fun and I had some great hours with it. Still, a solid 8/10, it just totally didn't feel like *the* best Zelda game ever to me (note: I'm considering all games at their specific time and context to be fair; technically, this *is* the best Zelda game yet, of course).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, they dropped magic alltogether - again. This was quite some disappointment to me, because I missed it in recent Zelda titles D=

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Art style-I know many people would disagree with me here but I really enjoy all of the different art style directions of the Zelda games

Enjoyed how long the game is compared to most games in this generation.

Dungeons were fun, while they lasted.

Dislikes:
Motion controls - While I appreciate that Nintendo is trying to show off how accurate swinging a Wii Remote + is, I really wish they would add in the option for classic controller support as well.

Too much text in the game- I enjoy all of the Zelda titles, but there needs to be less talking more actually playing. I wish there was an option to skip all of the text especially after I already finished the game. One of the things I like about Zelda titles is the mini games and if I fail to get a prize they let me retry right away. However, In Skyward Sword, the mini games make me sit through all of the NPC chat all over again. An example of this is the bamboo cutting mini game as soon as you finish playing it takes another 30 seconds just to get into another play, which makes me want to give up and try it again much later.

Boss battles were way too easy- I would have enjoyed more of a challenge from the bosses, but then again Zelda games, with the exception of Zelda II, aren't very challenging.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So far this game is my favorite, right behind majora's mask and windwaker. (Yes, I like those two games over OoT and No, I'm not a troll.) I love the graphics and overall game design. The dungeons are very nice and simple and it is great that they incorporated the outer area before the dungeons into the solving puzzles idea. I love the almost flawless sword controls and mechanics. My gripe with this game is the damage system. Why is it that it seems that a skullita is harder to kill than a freaking boss? Or that I used to love fighting lizalfos but hate em now cuz they are assholes with armor. This game is more challenging than any previous 3d zelda, which is great, not bad, but I wish almost every enemy didn't do a heart of damage (at least at the beginning of the game), maybe that is why you start with 6 hearts and not 3. Also the lack of sensor bar support with the pointer is annoying. Unplug ur sensor bar when playing if you don't believe me. The pointer is laggy, slow, and unresponsive when it shouldn't be with the motion plus. At least they have the re-center option to deal partially with this. I wonder why they didn't use the sensor bar for pointing weapons and the pointer in general for menus. :unsure: OMG flying the bird and bug is a pain in the ass and I always find myself holding my hand in an obscure way. :hateit: I won't let these mechanical flaws put the game down, I'd still give it a 10 or close to a 10 (like a 9.9). All games have issues and this is no exception.

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Motion controls - While I appreciate that Nintendo is trying to show off how accurate swinging a Wii Remote + is, I really wish they would add in the option for classic controller support as well.

A Friggin Men!!! I am so sick of the wii-motion only crap. There should always be an option to play the game with one of the main stationary controller options. Some people might like swinging at their TV's and what not, but I play games to relax not to work my cardio!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...