Gaming What did you like/dislike about Skyward Sword?

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why is everybody complaining about the Motion Controls? They work perfectly. You should play it relaxt, not swing your arms around like a madman, then it doesn't work.
their not complaining mostly about the controls their complaining about why they are used for stupid stuff like flying and swimming mainly when the chuck could have worked just fine.

But why would they do that? And the stick does not work that great for that kind of stuff, but that's what I think.
The motion controls work perfectly for that, so why not use that? It's easy to use. It's like saying "You could've used 1, 2, A, up, down, left, right to use your items, they all are buttons so they work!"
Nintendo decided to use motion controls, which are perfectly finetuned and easy to use. You just have to use it relaxt, not waggle around like an idiot.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am personally not against the choice to use only the wiimote instead of the nunchuk.
I'm against the decision to not use the IR at all for "re-centering" the cursor automatically by pointing to the TV.

My target were often out of range, moving in a direction while I pointed to the TV.
If "playing quietly and calmly" solved it, then tell me you never needed to recenter your cursor (but I won't trust you).
Nintendo added that feature because they realized it was a necessity, because their movement detection is not working correctly.

My sword is often reversed, pointing upward while I'm pointing the wiimote to the TV, When swimming I encountered twice the problem where Link was swimming to the left (in circle) if I kept the wiimote pointing horizontally to the TV. To swim straight I required to turn the wiimote to the right, but then I couldn't swim to the right :/

I only could solve it by doing a real recalibration in the options (not a re-centering as there's no target).

So, personally I had difficulty with the controls, but I don't blame Zelda, I blame the technology which is not good enough to detect the real space position and user's movements accurately.
I'm sure the auto-centering by pointing to IR would have solved a lot of these problem, but maybe it wasn't working fine together so they removed it.

edit:
OH, and a real flaw in the game functionality regarding this motion+ position:
I really don't understand why nintendo didn't realized that when you pick an item/weapon, you are obviously no more pointing at the center of the screen, then why do they use your current position as the center?
They should have remembered the distance your cursor position is located from the center of the screen so the user could move his wiimote back to really be in the center after selecting an item.

[][][]
[] * []
[][][]

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am personally not against the choice to use only the wiimote instead of the nunchuk.
I'm against the decision to not use the IR at all for "re-centering" the cursor automatically by pointing to the TV.

My target were often out of range, moving in a direction while I pointed to the TV.
If "playing quietly and calmly" solved it, then tell me you never needed to recenter your cursor (but I won't trust you).
Nintendo added that feature because they realized it was a necessity, because their movement detection is not working correctly.

My sword is often reversed, pointing upward while I'm pointing the wiimote to the TV, When swimming I encountered twice the problem where Link was swimming to the left (in circle) if I kept the wiimote pointing horizontally to the TV. To swim straight I required to turn the wiimote to the right, but then I couldn't swim to the right :/

I only could solve it by doing a real recalibration in the options (not a re-centering as there's no target).

So, personally I had difficulty with the controls, but I don't blame Zelda, I blame the technology which is not good enough to detect the real space position and user's movements accurately.
I'm sure the auto-centering by pointing to IR would have solved a lot of these problem, but maybe it wasn't working fine together so they removed it.

edit:
OH, and a real flaw in the game functionality regarding this motion+ position:
I really don't understand why nintendo didn't realized that when you pick an item/weapon, you are obviously no more pointing at the center of the screen, then why do they use your current position as the center?
They should have remembered the distance your cursor position is located from the center of the screen so the user could move his wiimote back to really be in the center after selecting an item.

[][][]
[] * []
[][][]

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Swimming is retarded tbh. I dont really fancy the flying either.

Oh, and having quick item slots on the D-pad wouldve been awesome!

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im on my second playthrough now, in hero mode, and a few more little annoyances have popped up, the trials they annoy me but their quick so I can live with it.

The constant text I know the storyline, i've already played it so i don't like the fact that I have to listen to the minor characters again and again as they give me little plot hints.

Im dreading the tadpole bit, i didnt like it the first time round its gunna be more annoying the second time round.

One plus point in hero mode the game is friggin tough, I've died atleast twice in each dungeon so far so much so that no matter what I do I have to have 3 bottles of potions, its kinda annoying that I have to keep going to skyloft to get these.

Also big annoyance, the warp statues (the one to save or go back to the sky) the game doesnt register them unless you interact with them which means when I re-visit an area unless i've talked to every warp point i cant just parachute to that place, the game should recognise when you've reached that area, interaction or not.

All in all though its a great game, if it wasnt I wouldnt of bothered with hero mode, I especially love some of the bosses, more so on hard mode

heat6jones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally beat the game... Time to hunt for treasure.

I dislike the adventure pouch and would rather be able to have all of my upgrades all of the time. It cheapens the value of your upgrades since you won't be able to use all of them all the time.

It also seems like there are too few rupees in the game. Grass should offer up more rupees.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally beat the game... Time to hunt for treasure.

I dislike the adventure pouch and would rather be able to have all of my upgrades all of the time. It cheapens the value of your upgrades since you won't be able to use all of them all the time.

It also seems like there are too few rupees in the game. Grass should offer up more rupees.
I don't have a problem finding rupee's :( I'm not that far into the game but I take it there is an item keeper?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the item keeper is a total drag. why would they duplicate the feeling of rushing out of your house just to remember you don't have your wallet when you are already on the freeway. lots of fun nintendo!

heat6jones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also wish there was some way to keep track of tasks. Which heart am I missing? Which goddess cubes do I need? Which gratitude stones have I not acquired?

Instead you just have to waste time trying to figure out these things.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also wish there was some way to keep track of tasks. Which heart am I missing? Which goddess cubes do I need? Which gratitude stones have I not acquired?

Instead you just have to waste time trying to figure out these things.

that's usually how zelda side-quests work....

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Liked: motion controls ^_^
Disliked: motion controls :glare:

The motion controls do make the game and I wouldn't want to play the game without them, but far too frequently I was having problems with swinging one way and it being registered another way (especially annoying when fighting certain enemies/bosses) and the near constant need to realign the cursor - for example II was doing the pumpkin shooting side game and found even when barely moving the cursor i was slowly pointing the wiimote further and further to the left to keep the cursor where I wanted it :glare:

Also liked the story, music, upgrades (as long as they don't start going overboard with that in future games - don't want hours of side quests just to upgrade a slingshot :P), and the graphic style was nice too.

I am unsure of the pouch idea, it never really effected me, I always had enough of what I needed, i spent most of the game with half my pouch used for medals.

I REALLY disliked Fi reminding me all the time about low batteries - I use rechargeables and for whatever reason this game (and ONLY this game) detects the batteries as low HOURS before needing to change them.
Also disliked the treasure info every time you rebooted the game, you know it's bad when you seriously consider not picking up another amber relic simply to avoid the stupid message about it.

later on you lose all your stuff and have to sneak around behind the shadows to get it back
Not so great when you were planning on going to that region for only a couple of minutes to do a quick side quest >.< (would of quit the game if i hadn't done other stuff recently without saving...)

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
The pouch is fine, but for the love of god WHY couldnt we get quick-slots on left/right!? I dont know how many times Ive accidentally changed weapon because the motion didnt register quick enough (or just a simple accidental tap on the "b" button....)

The sneaking was a nice touch, but WW did it a million times better (both in terms of difficulty and fun-factor)

Garuge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still at Eldin, but I'm really digging it.

I'm having a blast so far. The motion controls are nice, but it's kind of tiring to have to recenter it a lot. I've heard of news that they'll implement these controls to future Zelda games. I hope they'll improve that.

The one thing that annoys me most is Fi's notifications. How she pops up on almost everything is kind of irritating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Anyone play Little Kitty, Big City?