What did you Accomplish in Gaming Today?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Made it to 150 % in Harmony of Dissonance, when the game decided to lose my save :angry:. I'll be (re)playing this on my Wii in a couple of weeks to finish it.

Damn, I'm sorry. Funny, I'm playing that game right now. Just past 100% completion in my playthrough.

What were you using the play it, an emulator?

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damn, I'm sorry. Funny, I'm playing that game right now. Just past 100% completion in my playthrough.

What were you using the play it, an emulator?
Nah, I was using the real game (picked it up a couple of days ago). But I will be using an emulator the next time (not eager to waste another four hours to get where I was when there's a real chance of losing my save again :P).
So what're your thoughts on the game so far? To me it's fun, but a little too much of an SotN clone (gameplay-/enemy-wise).
I dunno, it felt like it wanted to be like SotN, but was lacking a bit. Not to say it isn't a good game though, because it's still pretty good :D.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I was using the real game (picked it up a couple of days ago). But I will be using an emulator the next time (not eager to waste another four hours to get where I was when there's a real chance of losing my save again :P).

How did you lose your save on a legitimate copy of the game? Does it use a save battery? I guess I better be careful in my playthrough (I'm using the real game, too).
So what're your thoughts on the game so far? To me it's fun, but a little too much of an SotN clone (gameplay-/enemy-wise).

I agree, it's very much like SotN. But honestly, I think it's better than SotN in quite a few ways, especially regarding polish and design. I also prefer the combination of SotN-styled gameplay with classic-styled whip combat, because it's a bit more difficult and requires you to have a little more strategy in combat, like the classic Castlevania games. I think the dash maneuver is much more useful in this game, too. :yaysp:
I dunno, it felt like it wanted to be like SotN, but was lacking a bit. Not to say it isn't a good game though, because it's still pretty good :D.

I may actually like this game better than SotN in some ways (as I mentioned), but SotN certainly feels better, regarding the art direction, music, and overall scale. However, I think most of that is due to SotN being a larger, AAA production on a more powerful console, versus HoD being a smaller side production on a handheld. Alucard will always be a cooler character than Juste though, no denying that. :yayps3:

Edit: I forgot to mention that the bosses in HoD are total pushovers compared to those found in SotN. SotN's bosses usually require some degree of skill, or at least real skill for bosses that last quite a while. HoD's bosses are not only short (understandable for a handheld game), but require no real skill or any strategy aside from "oh, jump or dash at this time to avoid this obvious attack pattern."

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Had 1 minute left on my free trial time for Wii Sport Club and started an 18 hole 4 player golf session and effectively stretched that freebie out as far as possible.

Not sure if that really counts so I then proceeded to single handedly clean the red coats out of two military camps and half of Boston in AC3, earning more then 2500 pounds looting the corpses (too bad they respawn).

In just a brief moment that I left the gamepad unguarded, though, one of my kids picked it up and switched over to his Mario game without saving so I'm left with nothing to show for it.
It was sure fun, though.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How did you lose your save on a legitimate copy of the game? Does it use a save battery? I guess I better be careful in my playthrough (I'm using the real game, too).
I'm not sure, but it probably does. I've yet to open it, but the screw seems a bit dodgy so someone has probably opened it up before (I intend to open it tomorrow so I'll let you know for sure then).

I agree, it's very much like SotN. But honestly, I think it's better than SotN in quite a few ways, especially regarding polish and design. I also prefer the combination of SotN-styled gameplay with classic-styled whip combat, because it's a bit more difficult and requires you to have a little more strategy in combat, like the classic Castlevania games. I think the dash maneuver is much more useful in this game, too. :yaysp:
Oh, the dash move is far more useful in this one, that's for sure. I used it constantly in this one (and never in SotN), although, when you get the downward jump/sliding move, it's far superior (in most circumstances). As for the difficulty, I don't know. It might be due to the fact that I'm also playing through Circle of the Moon at the moment, but this one feels kind of easy (at least in comparison to that game). Of course, no Crissaegrim, means no game breaker :P. And the design, well I found the second castle in this one a bit lazy, it's simply a palette swap, with a few differences. Adding to that, some of the enemies seem like they have the exact same AI as enemies from CotM (for example, the gremlins in CotM behave exactly like Flying Bones in HoD).I get that it's probably due to the fact that they have far more limitations than they had in SotN, bit it feels lazy you know .

I may actually like this game better than SotN in some ways (as I mentioned), but SotN certainly feels better, regarding the art direction, music, and overall scale. However, I think most of that is due to SotN being a larger, AAA production on a more powerful console, versus HoD being a smaller side production on a handheld. Alucard will always be a cooler character than Juste though, no denying that. :yayps3:
Yeah, it probably is (and the nostalgia factor for me doesn't help matters :P ), it's just, for a game that was meant to be as good as SotN, to me, it's not quite there. As for Alucard, favourite character in the entire series :D.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the bosses in HoD are total pushovers compared to those found in SotN. SotN's bosses usually require some degree of skill, or at least real skill for bosses that last quite a while. HoD's bosses are not only short (understandable for a handheld game), but require no real skill or any strategy aside from "oh, jump or dash at this time to avoid this obvious attack pattern."
True, that's kinda why I'm (slightly) dissapointed. Still, it's a very good game regardless of it's faults (and let's face it, every game has them :P ).

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I definitely agree with you about the second castle. It really is nothing but a palette swap with different enemies. In SotN, the inverted castle felt like a whole new one because of what they did with the content of everything.

Reactions: nasune

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Upgraded to 2 HV solar panels, and 3 MV solar panels in Tekkit Lite. The server IP is tl.apocgaming.org, same IP for Teamspeak.

Some items are banned though, like mining laser, turtles, automatic crafting, project benches, etc... but can be re-gained by donation. It's a sweet server though, the people are VERY friendly and helpful It has MCMMO installed, as well as Paid2Mine for money. You can sell your extra claim blocks for fast cash, and buy a faction for $50,000. If you play the server, I'm Jayro_Jones, and Azuko is also a very helpful fellow. If you find me, feel free to tell me you're a Temper!!! :D

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Decided to go back and re-play a few old titles and ended up completing acouple games over the last few days.

1. Contra Hard Corps for the Genesis, I can't even count how many times I've completed this, I consider it one of the best in the series. Completed it on Ending 1 which isn't the best but not the worst either.

2. Power Rangers 1 for Snes which actually isn't a bad game at all considering I never really was a Big fan of the tv series.

ca695zyg4oy8a7mfg.jpg

dhic2j5u856v2ocfg.jpg

edit: Went back and re-played Contra Hard Corps for the best Ending and here it is:grog:had to practice alittle on the last part. but ended up beating it and only dieing about 4 times, using Zero continues. btw this is not the JPN version but the USA, meaning 1 hit your dead.
eee1rdkgbeuj1eafg.jpg

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I definitely agree with you about the second castle. It really is nothing but a palette swap with different enemies. In SotN, the inverted castle felt like a whole new one because of what they did with the content of everything.

Exactly. Still, one thing that I do like about these castles, that SotN didn't do, is that doing some things in one castle (breaking a wall, etc.) actually changes things in the other castle. It makes for quite a bit of backtracking, but, to me, that's what makes these games fun :D .

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. Still, one thing that I do like about these castles, that SotN didn't do, is that doing some things in one castle (breaking a wall, etc.) actually changes things in the other castle. It makes for quite a bit of backtracking, but, to me, that's what makes these games fun :D .

I didn't know this. :blink: Looks like I'm going to have to check out certain areas that I've broken walls in.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just finished Sleeping dogs (picked it up during a steam sale and only now got around to play it). Pretty sweet game; love the fighting techniques. Also hacked all the cameras and found all the Jade statues and health shrines. Couldn't be bothered with the boxes (I have already over a million and nothing interesting to spend it on).

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didn't know this. :blink: Looks like I'm going to have to check out certain areas that I've broken walls in.
Well it's not super obvious, so you might have seen the new areas already. For example, to the extreme right of castle B is a room in which you have to destroy a wall by smashing an enemy with a huge hammer hanging from the ceiling. This opens up the way to a large room, where you have to race a big ball. After you've done this, the same room is available in castle A.
But it's not like you see a broken wall in that version. If you didn't know the wall was there before, you'd never know. So you might have visited some of these areas before ;) .

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just beat Castlevania Circle of the Moon 100% (final time was 05:21). I'm glad its over and done with, because some of the decisions they went with in this game were horrible.
For example the bias towards the monsters, no matter if you're in the middle of an attack or not, if one of the monsters manage to touch you (hell, it doesn't even have to be an attack on their part) you take the damage and lose your attack (things get worse when you're in the air, you get launched halfway across the screen no matter what). Or the status ailments, my god that was annoying, if an enemy which can cause a status ailment hits you, you're done. It's not even a chance of getting that ailment, its a certainty.
But, all in all, it's not a bad game, just incredibly frustrating at times (trying to reach a ledge where a monster is? you're fucked). I especially liked the battle arena, that was quite a challenge.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just beat Castlevania Circle of the Moon 100% (final time was 05:21). I'm glad its over and done with, because some of the decisions they went with in this game were horrible.
For example the bias towards the monsters, no matter if you're in the middle of an attack or not, if one of the monsters manage to touch you (hell, it doesn't even have to be an attack on their part) you take the damage and lose your attack (things get worse when you're in the air, you get launched halfway across the screen no matter what). Or the status ailments, my god that was annoying, if an enemy which can cause a status ailment hits you, you're done. It's not even a chance of getting that ailment, its a certainty.
But, all in all, it's not a bad game, just incredibly frustrating at times (trying to reach a ledge where a monster is? you're fucked). I especially liked the battle arena, that was quite a challenge.

I'm having a nostalgic seizure! :wacko:

I dumped my save from 2001, that I still haven't finished!
Congrats to you!

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beaten Duck Tales: Remastered in Hard mode.

Very, very unforgiving game, and that's why I loved it. Other than the Duck Tales references from the show (most of the original voice cast was a very nice touch).

5/5 would (and will) play again

EDIT: Holy Chao, this is my 100th beaten game :O

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Beat Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze today, all main levels beaten with the KONG letters. This is such a damn good game... I enjoy myself a fair amount of modern co-op side scrolling platformers, but it's rare that I would ever consider one a true AAA release. This is one of those times though. I'll probably go back eventually to find the secret levels on each island, as well as the temples.

Reactions: Thomas83Lin

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Started playing Grandia III, it seems a funny and good RPG, the story is somewhat good until now....
and Defeated the Boss of Kabukicho prison on Shin Megami Tensei III, his attacks dealt about 150 DMG every hit, and 2 hit´s = instant kill, but after i Sukun´ed and Tarun´ed him, he became a joke,if he managed to hit me, it would deal 50-80 Dmg....

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Played the demo of Conception II on 3DS and Vita, instabuy for me!!!(Vita version for HD visuals and antialising). I wish someone translate the first Conception game, or maybe a port for Vita.

Bought Sayonara Umihara Kawase(Yumi's odd odyssey) for 3DS and is really good, a little slower than the previous games but still good and hard, and dat musik.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch