Hardware What custom screens for my GBA, GBC, GB should i get

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello people!

So i am planing to replace original non light screen with custom screen with a backlight (ips or whatever, as long as it has backlight and levels of brightness).
I can do that, there are stores that sell them, but my problem is i have no experience with them nor money to risk.

So what i wanted is to ask you guys few questions about which screens are the best for
Game Boy Advance, GameBoy Color, Game Boy original.

I actually don't need any special features if they cost a lot more, but what i'm interested in is this:

-Build and overall Quality
-1:1 pixels (same as original... if possible)
-Square pixels (i presume all LCD pixels are square but just saying)
-Integer scaling (you know how emulators do things where they scale the picture to fit every pixel perfectly aka pixel perfect)
-Original size AS the original screen is (i don't wanna smaller or bigger screen, i want exactly as original ones are, just better, and with light more importantly!)
-No ghosting (i mean i get no ghosting is impossible with LCD's but at least less than original screen and not visible ghosting and i'm okB
-To function propperly (as original is, no screen tearing or whatever issues screens can have)
-And last but not least NO INPUT LAG at all! (probably the most important thing from game-play perspective)

Now this above what i described is what id ideally want from a screen, anything extra is OK, but i'm more interested in best for a price.

I also hope this will help others with their doubts and information what screen to get.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't actually installed it yet so can't give a personal rating, but based on specs I went for the option of putting a lower screen from a DSi in my GBA. It's the same size and resolution, it's from a similar era so has that old-school pixel grid, and it doesn't have the ghosting you apparently get with AGS-101 screens. I bought the cables from here, but am using an original Nintendo screen from an old DSi, I'm assuming the ones they optionally supply with the cables are aftermarket versions https://funnyplaying.com/products/itas-new-agb-tft-backlight-kit?variant=39341366313021

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the gba, I had an ags101 screen for the longest time, then I upgraded. I ordered this kit. It’s got touch pads for the (10) brightness level and for the (8) color palettes. The cool thing about this kit is, it is solderless. Also, this listing includes a pre-cut shell which will save you lots of headache.

It’s also important to note that this comes with an adapter for the 32 pin and 40 pin motherboards.

The differences (that I noticed) between the ags-101 and this V2 IPS kit are, the screen size. The IPS is about 2mm wider and maybe 1mm taller. I noticed it the first week, then completely forgot about it.
The “pixel grid” is totally gone now. I have a nice crisp picture. The colors are more vibrant.
No ghosting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 229 steam games more than I thought