What are your opinions on Temu?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The main problem is that influencers and the people alike are promoting loyalty-type programs that involve playing games to get money off high value products, such as the Nintendo Switch, its a lot like gambling but SUPER addictive. But aside from that, its basically like any other Chinese marketplace for example, Wish.com. What do you all think of this business?

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ordered from them two times. the shipping is slower than amazon, ebay, other major sites.
They will give you credit, if they do not ship on the time.

tomberyx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Temu is a absolute junk and would not recommend it to anyone, because it relies on cheap goods and lures customers with the lowest prices.

Even a homeless person feels like a millionaire with Temu.

In addition, the delivery time are very long and associated with hidden costs. Often the shipping costs are more expensive than the product itself.

The goods are mostly cheaply made to save costs, the customer notices it only when the goods after the second use is broken, it affects not all goods but determined 80% of it.

Also the environment has absolutely no joy with Temu and does not download the app.

-Temu has nothing to do with quality.

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For one thing, if I see another Temu advertisement I might lose my sanity........

however, I've never used it myself but I know someone who has. To put it simply, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: SylverReZ

FreePlayFlorida

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tend to use Temu and Aliexpress for knock off Lego figures, and sets, which I really cant justify spending tons on, like Captain Rex mini figure for Lego Helmet, or Stranger Things set, which was 40 quid instead of the £350+

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The quality is VERY cheap.

The descriptions are misleading.

The shipping time is long.

But you can get some pretty cool shit on there..
We've ordered some Hello Kitty plushies off Temu. Took about 5 days to arrive from an unmarked courier. One of its eyes looks like its snorted up so much snow that its pupils had dilated.

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never used it, but the ads are incredibly annoying. It's the reason I use brave instead of the YT app on iOS.
When I watch YouTube on my phone, the first ad to appear would be Temu. I agree, they're incredibly annoying to the ears and eyeballs.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fake has Hell i tried to get close to 100% done with the cookie offer thing and nope i did not get it. it's like giving you the middle finger saying you want more buy our fucking shit. so my response is back at ya bitch.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We've used it a few times. The shipping to the UK has actually been pretty fast, the orders we've had have arrived in less than a week.

The quality is awful, we've mostly bought fidget toys for our sons and they just break after a few uses.

The price of some items are reasonably low for new members, I will say a lot of items are the same price as Aliexpress though. Also after placing an order or two the prices go up, presumably to keep the cheap prices you have to play the games and get people to use your referral link. Alternatively you can just keep making new accounts to keep getting the discounts.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I stick to AliExpress for my bootleg needs. The shipping is also way better for me, since I'm American and don't have to pay any of that silly "Import" or "duties" taxes when it arrives. It just shows up in my mailbox after about 3 weeks, like it's supposed to. Most of the time I spend enough to get free shipping anyhow, since I order GBA and GBC carts in bulk for reflashing.

TEMU likes charging shipping per item, as if you're an Amazon.com member without a Prime subscription.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's just as predatory as Wish. But at least the products seem to be slightly higher quality on average. I'm probably never buying anything there though.
I feel about the same about it that I felt about Wish, AliExpress, etc.
Wouldn't shop there expecting anything of any quality to arrive, but for things that it's ok to cheap out on, it may be a good resource.
I buy a lot of stuff on AliExpress. You can get quality products there. Brands like Ugreen use AliExpress as their primary storefront, I buy a lot of stuff from Ugreen. Cables, adapters, USB hubs, dongles, HDD/SSD enclosures, that sort of thing. Never had a single complaint about the quality of their products. They are not especially cheap, but you get what you pay for. Also got a replacement cable for my earbuds from a different brand recently, seems to be good quality. As are the JoyCon replacement shells, phone case/screen protectors, GC HDMI adapter, Xbox 360 controller replacement battery cases, and random plushies I got from there.
A lot of it is the exact same products you can find on Amazon with a 4+ star rating. Only at a much lower price, due to shipping directly from China, and the Amazon resellers adding a huge markup.

What you generally want to avoid are the noname brands. If the manufacturer doesn't have enough faith in their products to put their name behind them, that usually says a lot about the quality of the products. The same goes with the products you can find a dozen different brand names for that are all a random jumble of letters. These are just as bad as noname brands, they're not real brand names and the reason they are just a random jumble of letters is so that the name can be easily changed if one name gets a bad reputation.
Of course, on Wish, everything is noname brand. You won't find any recognizable brand name on there, and if anything claims to be, it's a fake. It seems like you can actually find recognizable brand names on Temu that are legit (for example, they sell Nintendo Switches, not that there is much reason to buy them from there as you are not saving money and you potentially lose out on warranty), but still plenty of fakes as well (the price is usually a big giveaway)

As a general rule, I don't buy anything on online marketplaces that don't have a good amount (100+) of reviews and a 4+ star rating. This is difficult on eBay, because most listings on there don't have any reviews at all, which is why I prefer AliExpress. I've rarely been disappointed by a product I purchased as long as I followed this rule.
But the way Wish incentivizes reviewing a product before you've even received it and how many 5 star reviews there are from people who admit to not having received or not having tried out the product yet is sketchy af, and means going by reviews is no use. Don't know how bad Temu is when it comes to this, as I haven't bought anything from there.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like another AliExpress to me.

I'll stick with AliExpress itself for purchases I want.
Post automatically merged:

Never used it, but the ads are incredibly annoying. It's the reason I use brave instead of the YT app on iOS.
"Ads" what is that, dude? lol

I've not seen an ad in ages, but I use ReVanced on Android and adblockers on PC.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I buy a lot of stuff on AliExpress. You can get quality products there.
You can get quality stuff a lot of places if you wade through enough shit, but there's also a potential for scamming, low quality product, etc. This is even true on Amazon's marketplace and Walmart's marketplace, but those last two seem a lot more proactive about actually dealing with it when something happens.

Again, for certain purchases of cheap generic goods or if you're buying from trusted sellers, things are usually all good... for most things, though, I tend to avoid.

I may be a little biased because of past experiences.

Let's not forget AliExpress banned me for doing a rightful chargeback after they refused to help refund me for one of those DSOne clone cards with faulty PSRAM. 🥲 If they're not willing to side with the customer in cases where the customer received faulty or damaged goods, I don't think I would feel right standing up for them.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's not forget AliExpress banned me for doing a rightful chargeback after they refused to help refund me for one of those DSOne clone cards with faulty PSRAM. 🥲 If they're not willing to side with the customer in cases where the customer received faulty or damaged goods, I don't think I would feel right standing up for them.
Companies generally don't like customers doing chargebacks so that's definitely only meant to be used as a last resort. To be fair, you were right to use it.

I've read customers have done chargebacks to Amazon and then they got banned. Amazon has gotten way too big and way too powerful.

If I ever lose or it's closed for whatever reason, I'll only be disappointed about losing access to the "free" games for PC I claimed.

If there was a way to convert them to GOG/Steam keys I'd want that.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can get quality stuff a lot of places if you wade through enough shit, but there's also a potential for scamming, low quality product, etc. This is even true on Amazon's marketplace and Walmart's marketplace, but those last two seem a lot more proactive about actually dealing with it when something happens.

Again, for certain purchases of cheap generic goods or if you're buying from trusted sellers, things are usually all good... for most things, though, I tend to avoid.

I may be a little biased because of past experiences.

I don't feel like I have to wade through anything. The most popular items are usually what show up top, and those tend to be decent quality.
Granted, there are some categories of items which are not good to buy from China, because all the listings are of the same few cheap crap products that overrate their specifications. But those tend to be categories of items which are typically quite pricy, and only the cheap crap variants are available from China, you'll rarely find products for hundreds of dollars on AliExpress, obviously those types of products are better to buy from Amazon or similar, if you are willing to pay the price for a good one.
For small items which don't cost a whole lot to make, AliExpress is perfect.

Never had an issue getting a refund on AliExpress. In one case, I settled for a partial refund. It was one of those fake RCMloader dongles, which technically works, but just doesn't have the same functionality as the original. It didn't seem like anybody was selling the original (maybe they aren't even being manufactured anymore), so I didn't really see any better option, otherwise I would have kept asking for a full refund and tried to buy the original from a different seller. The dispute window was already closed though, so I was relying on the goodwill of the seller, so I didn't expect I would have been able to get a full refund.
In every other case where I had issues (one package arrived opened and empty, some packages never arrived, and a n3DS XL battery that was faulty) I got a full refund without much trouble.

Sometimes they will refuse the refund at first, but they always give you an option to provide more details. This happened in the case of the n3DS XL battery, they refused at first and asked for a video of the console not working, which I provided, then seller asked me to do it again but show the battery installed in the non working console (and AliExpress sided with the seller on this), which wasn't really easy to do because my cousin had the battery and doesn't have a small enough screwdriver, but he managed to get one of the screws out and make another video that was too unclear and dark to see the printing on the battery at all. Still, I uploaded the video to AliExpress, they accepted the refund and I was refunded in a few days. I didn't honestly think that video was going to be good enough and the dispute window was closing, but luckily they accepted it.

If you took too long to complain it could be difficult to get a refund. Once the dispute window is closed, AliExpress don't want anything to do with it anymore, and you're relying on the goodwill of the seller. It's the same on eBay too though. You should never mark an item as received until you have tested it enough to confirm that it's in good working order. Once an item is marked as received, you have only limited time to file a dispute, I think it might be 2 weeks (the item will be auto-marked as received after a few days if the item is sent with international tracking though, once AliExpress' systems detect that the item was delivered from the tracking info), but as long as it's not marked as received, you have until the end of the estimated delivery date + the same 2 weeks.

If it had been months after you received it until you complained about it, understandably AliExpress would not be very willing to give you a refund at that point. They only hold the money for a certain amount of time (same as eBay), once they release the payment to the seller, they have no way of getting that money back, and if the seller is not willing to give a refund, it would be money out of AliExpress' pocket if they gave you a refund against the seller's wishes. That's why neither AliExpress nor eBay is willing to help out once the dispute window is closed. That is not AliExpress or eBay's fault.
They don't operate the same way Amazon does, which will basically accept any return, even fraudulent ones, and take the money out of the seller's profits. This is good for consumers, but bad for legitimate sellers, and the only thing that makes it worth it for sellers to continue to sell on Amazon despite the losses due to fraudulent returns and refunds is the huge exposure they get through Amazon and the fact that Amazon takes care of a lot of the logistics for them, which makes it way easier for small businesses to sell things. As a consumer, I like Amazon's refund policies, but I can understand that from a legitimate seller's point of view they might be a pain in the ass, so I can't expect every online marketplace to be like that.

Chargebacks are meant to be used against fraud. It's pretty typical of any online store or service to ban accounts associated with chargebacks, because it implies the account was involved in fraud, and that is a reasonable action to take to prevent further fraud. Nintendo does the same thing, FWIW.
This was not fraud. The seller didn't intentionally sell you a flashcart with faulty PSRAM, and it sounds like you were aware you were buying a clone cart. So I would say you abused the chargeback system in this case. It's not there for you to use to get a refund on products you are not happy with. It's there to protect you against people who intentionally scam or defraud you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated