ROM Hack What are the "must play" ROM hacks for nds?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As for ms-dos fps ports I would mention, based on my personal taste, cquake (Quake), DualHexen (Hexen), cheretic (Heretic), DSDoom SVN (Doom 1/2), DScent (Descent), JfDuke3d (Duke Nukem 3d): all of them with the ability to play custom/user add-on/expansion episodes through .argv argument.

Lately I have rediscovered an interesting rhythm game, sort of a parody of Guitar Hero, called Video Games Hero, which uses 8bit game bgms, pop and classical music in midi or similar format: well made and almost professional game, really fun. Too bad more tunes can't be added.

Regarding the NDS games hacks, I would mention several undub patches, which replace the often ridiculous english recitation (e.g., the inexplicably sped-up one in Suikoden Tierkreis) with the more expressive and funny japanese one.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
as for the "must play" means almost everything here's my types:
Princess On Ice - graphical version improvment hack - here
If you like rythm games and even if you don't like Cooking Mama series like me this title still is nice to try - Rythm de Cooking
Lode Runner english menu patch - here
You can try my Binary Land port homebrew that joins NES and MSX versions ("RNG" levels) playmodes - here

MysteryGamer987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I Recommend Newer Super Mario Bros DS, It's More Challenging Than The Original With Better Level Design
Post automatically merged:

Geometry Dash 3DS and Cookie Clicker 3DS are both some that I spent some time playing.
Where Did You Get Them I Can't Find Them Anywhere

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for ms-dos fps ports I would mention, based on my personal taste, cquake (Quake), DualHexen (Hexen), cheretic (Heretic), DSDoom SVN (Doom 1/2), DScent (Descent), JfDuke3d (Duke Nukem 3d): all of them with the ability to play custom/user add-on/expansion episodes through .argv argument.

Lately I have rediscovered an interesting rhythm game, sort of a parody of Guitar Hero, called Video Games Hero, which uses 8bit game bgms, pop and classical music in midi or similar format: well made and almost professional game, really fun. Too bad more tunes can't be added.

Regarding the NDS games hacks, I would mention several undub patches, which replace the often ridiculous english recitation (e.g., the inexplicably sped-up one in Suikoden Tierkreis) with the more expressive and funny japanese one.
Thanks for all the fps recs! I recently picked up moon for nds, and while simple, I really enjoyed the stylus controls. Working my way through the list now, did you find the Duke Nukem port recently though? I checked the GitHub and that other page but just saw win/Mac/linux ports, no nds. Unless I missed something

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sank yuuuu
Post automatically merged:

Hey, Nikokaro, a couple more questions,

A: I take it you are running these from flashcart, have you tried them in twilight menu or on the system SD at all?

B:vThe Duke Nukem port does need base game files to run, right? I don't see any instructions per DS installation for it on the GitHub page; I did find elhobb's Github with directions for what files that one needs, should I just follow that?

EDIT: Finally about the DLDI patching, that's not necessary these days right? I've never had to do it before

Last edited by ichig0,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I take it you are running these from flashcart, have you tried them in twilight menu or on the system SD at all?
I actually use it on DSi, from SD slot, via TwilightMenu. The base game should still work from flashcart as well, but given the less RAM available it will be unstable. To use the additional episodes (eg Duke Caribbean, Nuclear Winter, Duke It Out in D.C. etc) you will have to use a DSi only.
The Duke Nukem port does need base game files to run, right?
You need Duke3d.grp from the Atomic Edition which you will easily find at archive(dot)org. To play the user add-ons you find online you'll need to launch an argv file, containing a specific command line, from TwilightMenu : you'll find all the instructions about it scattered in my thread I've already mentioned: you'll have to read it from beginning to end, alas. 😉
Finally about the DLDI patching, that's not necessary these days right
That's right. No need.

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To play the user add-ons you find online you'll need to launch an argv file, containing a specific command line, from TwilightMenu : you'll find all the instructions about it scattered in my thread I've already mentioned: you'll have to read it from beginning to end, alas. 😉
Thanks for that, was wondering about this too. Gonna try it out today :o

If you like DOS games era, i recommend you Raptor, Tyrian, Another World DS, Flashback DS, Lemmings DS and also DSx86 & ScummVM DS, you can find all these stuffs here :

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/List_of_DS_homebrew_applications
Dude, thank you for the reccs! Cygnus / Mountain King made a shmup called Demonstar I used to love as a kid (my very first one,) so I'm definitely interested in Raptor --

Reactions: Indy13

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto