Web browers: Google Chrome approaching 30% market share worldwide

Recent reports indicate that Google Chrome now absorbs nearly 30% of the web browser market share worldwide (source). Its main competitors are Internet Explorer with a little over 52% all versions included, and Firefox with now less than 12%.

Capture.PNG

In fact, if you exclude Chinese web users (who are usually stuck with old pirated versions of Windows and awful IE-based browsers) the numbers are even more impressive:
1. Google Chrome: > 52%
2. Internet Explorer: > 15%
3. Firefox: > 15%
4. Safari: > 9%
(source)

Things have changed a lot over the past 10 years and it's impressive to realize how much Chrome has changed our browsing habits. What is your opinion on the subject? Do you use Google Chrome yourself? What is the best web browser?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Chrome only because it's the best WebKit-based browser on Windows and Linux. On Mac, I actually use Safari now because it's not harsh on battery life unlike Chrome...

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Firefox isn't as good as it used to be, but I'd still rather have an open source alternative to the insane amount of spying Google already does to my life.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hate Chrome. Mostly for it's association with the Data Mining giant, Google. It's privacy options are weak, no decent add-ons, no easy way to block scripts. I hate that it seems to track my usage patterns. I hate that it wants me to login to Google. Firefox with no-script, Ad block plus, and JS blocker is all I'll use.

Reactions: ihaveahax

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ff, need my extensions and dont want everything I do to be data mined, and chrome is a huge resoure hog and goes through a ton of ram

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Chrome is the best by far, it works great and I can afford having a "RAM eater" with 16 GB of RAM on my laptop. I firstly used Internet Explorer but then switched to Firefox and finally to Chrome because the others were shit with freezing/glitches/lag so I had to try something new. I had almost no issues in Chrome at all for more than 1 year or usage so clearly we've got a winner. It's not perfect but the least sucky browser :P

IE < Firefox < Chrome

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have been using Chrome for quite some time now and I am fine with it. I tried using Opera and Firefox, but just couldn't see myself using them as my everyday browser.
Also IDK why, but my Chrome doesn't seem to use as much RAM when using Chakra OS compared to other OS's.

Reactions: the_randomizer

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been using Chrome for quite some time now and I am fine with it. I tried using Opera and Firefox, but just couldn't see myself using them as my everyday browser.
Also IDK why, but my Chrome doesn't seem to use as much RAM when using Chakra OS compared to other OS's.
I'm guessing it's Linux? On Windows and Mac, it tries to do more than just be a browser, including stay in the background when you close it and other things.

ILOVETOPLAYNESGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use firefox on my main pc, as it would seem that chrome has issues with some custom builds and mine is one of them. There was actually a box in the uninstall section for it caused my computer to crash. I run chrome on all of my other pcs though (2 more desktops and a few laptops).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm guessing it's Linux? On Windows and Mac, it tries to do more than just be a browser, including stay in the background when you close it and other things.
Chakra OS is Linux, which it basically just stays in the foreground as a web browser. There are some distros like Ubuntu where it tries to hangout in the background, but still not as bad as Windows.
I guess I should also mention that Chakra OS isn't "officially supported," so it has to be compiled through the CCR (Chakra's version of the AUR) so that might make a difference.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chakra OS is Linux, which it basically just stays in the foreground as a web browser. There are some distros like Ubuntu where it tries to hangout in the background, but still not as bad as Windows.
I guess I should also mention that Chakra OS isn't "officially supported," so it has to be compiled through the CCR (Chakra's version of the AUR) so that might make a difference.
Well, in the end, Chrome does not act the same way on Linux. Unless something has changed, because for those background and other features on Win/Mac you have to actually disable.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Opera replaced its rendering engine with Chrome's some time ago. Do you think that made it better or worse?

Worse, same fucking story, version number bumping without fixing/major overhauls.

If you do a hotfix, release it as 12.17.1 or something, not jump to 13, or 40 or 50 whatever FF and chrome is on.

Reactions: ihaveahax

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
ive been chrome for yrs now , i used to swear by firefox , cant really recall why i changed , and it has become habit .. i guess the integration of my gmail et al is why ..

D

Deleted User

Chrome used to be my main browser, but I really really hated the amount of RAM it consumed, because it made it hard to do other things while I had it open, or even while it was running in the background.
Firefox is my main now and it doesn't consume nearly as much RAM as Chrome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y