Hacking WD My Passport HDD issues with Wiiflow

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hey guys. Ive searched the HDD compatibilty list (perfect for wiiflow) and can't find a definitive answer in the forums for this. A couple of days ago I bought a 500gb WD My Passport for Wiiflow. Transferred my games from my old drive to the new WBFS paritition no probs. Now I can't get Wiiflow to load up the games, sometimes its asking me to connect the drive to port0 (which it is already). Tried mounting it via Neogamma to no avail. The games are there and are being picked up by WBFS and Wii backup managers.

Everything worked fine before with my Wiiflow/SD setup so this has to be a HDD issue. I have a small NTFS partition on the new drive just for general transportation of files etc, nothing fancy

EDIT: Its jut picked up the games but hung on the Wiiflow loading screen

EmbraceFiction

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bazamuffin said:
Hey guys. Ive searched the HDD compatibilty list (perfect for wiiflow) and can't find a definitive answer in the forums for this. A couple of days ago I bought a 500gb WD My Passport for Wiiflow. Transferred my games from my old drive to the new WBFS paritition no probs. Now I can't get Wiiflow to load up the games, sometimes its asking me to connect the drive to port0 (which it is already). Tried mounting it via Neogamma to no avail. The games are there and are being picked up by WBFS and Wii backup managers.

Everything worked fine before with my Wiiflow/SD setup so this has to be a HDD issue. I have a small NTFS partition on the new drive just for general transportation of files etc, nothing fancy

EDIT: Its jut picked up the games but hung on the Wiiflow loading screen

There is known issues with this HDD.
I have the same one; but I refrained from using that one, and instead used my Seagate 320GB, which works perfect.
Did you try troubleshooting? Try plugging it in AFTER the loader is loaded.

Also..

Did you format to FAT32?

Cheers.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe the passports come with the virtual cd software on the drive that makes a virtual cd rom drive appear in "my computer" whenever it's plugged into a computer.Try disabling it and trying again.

You can find the software needed to disable it on WD website.

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have used several of these and they have always worked,

However I have seen some issues whilst using them.

1) Try the cable plug into the drive (it is very poor)
2) It does use a lot of power (can crash on my laptop if not in the right USB socket) Check you are getting a good connection into the socket at the back of the Wii.
3) The virtual CD is a red herring, it makes no difference in the Wii, I have not turned mine off and it works fine.
4) What CIOS are you using to run the loader try 222 AND 249 and see if it is seen better on one than the other.

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Cheers for all the responses guys. I had a flashback to my setting up my previous drive and setting the drive to Primary (rather than logical) after partitioning seemed to sort this out. Ive done this, formatted 1 partition to WBFS and all seems to be good now. If I have any further probs I will revisit, thanks again guys

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Well the HDD seemed to slow down, so did a fresh install of Wiiflow and put the games on a FAT32 partition using WBM (using recommended FAT32 settings). Wiiflow isn't picking up the games and ive altered the wiiflow.ini file to read partition=1 as per wiiflow's wiki. Ive also place the partitions in order as per the wiki too. All the data has also been put on the HDD, wiiflow boots up fine but it just wont pick up the games. Getting super confused now guys, sorry to be a pain but Ive followed tuts to the letter but no result.

Thanks again in advance for any responses

EDIT: Wiiflow wont let me select FAT32, its just giving me options of WBFS- and WBFS0-9.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Which "My Passport" do you have? I have a 500GB My Passport Essential USB 2.0 which is working fine with Wiiflow. I've seen people having some problems with the USB 3.0 models.

Reformat the drive and make the whole thing NTFS. You don't need a WBFS partition at all. Use WiiBackupManager to write the files to the drive as .wbfs and Wiiflow should see them fine. Worked for me first try anyway.

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Lazycus said:
Which "My Passport" do you have? I have a 500GB My Passport Essential USB 2.0 which is working fine with Wiiflow. I've seen people having some problems with the USB 3.0 models.

Reformat the drive and make the whole thing NTFS. You don't need a WBFS partition at all. Use WiiBackupManager to write the files to the drive as .wbfs and Wiiflow should see them fine. Worked for me first try anyway.

Its a new Passport Essential 500gb USB2.0. The confusing part is that Wiiflow wont let me select NTFS/FAT32 partitions, its only giving me the option of WBFS- and WBFS0-9. It was recommended that Wiiflow works better with FAT32 than NTFS. I don't want a WBFS partition no more. The games have written to the drive fine and are in the format USB:/WBFS/Game Title [Game ID]/Game ID.wbfs. The drive is fine as Ive had it working as a WBFS partition so I can only think that it must be a setting in Wiiflow that I must be missing. Its a clean, new install with ALL old folders and config files removed

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
With the wiiflow.ini partition field, does it have to be set out in a particular way. The wiki just says 1-8 are for USB partitions. Do I have to alter it to read NTFS1/FAT321? The drive seems to be fine as it works with WBFS (albeit a tad slow), just having probs with this FAT32 stuff. Got the games where they should in the format they should be in, config files/folders in wiiflow folder on USB. Just can't get it to recognise the partition or give me the choice to change

I'm borderline going to the car to get my baseball bat!!!!

wannawanna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have the same model USB 3.0 and Wiiflow would only pick up games I directly backed up via disc- not the ones I had backed up on my comp then transferred. However, cfg USB works great.

Edit: my whole drive is fat32

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't change any settings inside of Wiiflow before running for the first time other than "data_on_usb=yes". Wiiflow should find the files fine without any setting changes at all, right? Have you tried a clean Wiiflow install without changing anything before you load it the first time?

jligg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive had the same issue. I have the latest wiiflow and if my drive is wbfs then all games are reconized, if its fat32 or ntfs it doesnt see any games. So i completely redid everything and same result.
So i ended up switching to cfg Usb Loader and it is working great with my ntfs drive.

US Wii 4.3 cIosX Rev21

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
darkreaperofdreams said:
OP,did you try CFG usbloader?using the same HDD as you,and it works like a charm

CFG Worked fine. I managed to chat to someone on the Wiiflow IRC and he very kindly passed me his version of the boot.dol (r340 I think) and it picked it up first time. He said that some versions can be fussy with WD My Passports, seems to work like a charm now. Im gonna keep CFG too as I do like some of the themes you can get, plus theres a bigger choice.

Thanks again for all your help, hopefully I won't have to revisit this again

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
darkreaperofdreams said:
OP,did you try CFG usbloader?using the same HDD as you,and it works like a charm

CFG Worked fine. I managed to chat to someone on the Wiiflow IRC and he very kindly passed me his version of the boot.dol (r340 I think) and it picked it up first time. He said that some versions can be fussy with WD My Passports, seems to work like a charm now. Im gonna keep CFG too as I do like some of the themes you can get, plus theres a bigger choice.

Yeah some versions are a little flaky with this drive. As has been said, I think its cause they have quite a long initial spin up time due to the firmware and that cd drive partition (which I have found no way to remove even with their software).
I found r304 wiiflow crashed a SHITE load though, perhaps due to compatibility with this drive, but I have rolled back to wiiflow2.1a2 r92 and it works spot on

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Donkey Plonk said:
bazamuffin said:
darkreaperofdreams said:

Yeah some versions are a little flaky with this drive. As has been said, I think its cause they have quite a long initial spin up time due to the firmware and that cd drive partition (which I have found no way to remove even with their software).
I found r304 wiiflow crashed a SHITE load though, perhaps due to compatibility with this drive, but I have rolled back to wiiflow2.1a2 r92 and it works spot on

The version I acquired via IRC last night seems to work faster than any other version Ive used

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
Donkey Plonk said:
bazamuffin said:
darkreaperofdreams said:

The version I acquired via IRC last night seems to work faster than any other version Ive used
Oh 304 is definately faster, but certainly for me anyway, its buggier

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: