Hacking WBFS files verification on FAT32 parition

mike333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If You are using FAT32 device with wbfs files on it ... and ... you make md5 checksums before uploading these files on device ... then there is one line script for You.
Code:
IFS=$'\n'; for a in $( find . -iname "*.md5" -printf "%h\n"); do echo $a;cd "$a";md5sum --quiet -c *.md5; cd ..; done
Just run it in wbfs directory and go clean house or do something useful.
Script will find all md5 files and run test against them.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As interested I am in your post, I have little to no knowledge to why we would be doing this. Can you explain what an md5 checksum is? I'm pretty smart so you don't really have to dumb down an explanation.

ST75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a total guess but I assume that if for some reason you had the md5 checksum for the game BEFORE you added it to the hdd...this script will check the wbfs files AFTER you add them to the hdd and compare the checksum to verify all data.

Like I said...just a guess.

mike333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Zetta_x said:
As interested I am in your post, I have little to no knowledge to why we would be doing this. Can you explain what an md5 checksum is? I'm pretty smart so you don't really have to dumb down an explanation.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/MD5
MD5 is just a checksum of data stream.
In above scenario one md5 sum is made for one file.
Why?
Lots of homebrew out there. Some of them can speak usb devices and fat32 using libfat.
In perfect world every HB will use libfat only for it and this lib should be updated in all HB and be bug free.
But we are live in different environment.
QUOTE(ST75 @ Sep 5 2010, 04:10 AM) This is a total guess but I assume that if for some reason you had the md5 checksum for the game BEFORE you added it to the hdd...this script will check the wbfs files AFTER you add them to the hdd and compare the checksum to verify all data.
Like I said...just a guess.
Yup.
It is intended to run once a week/month/whatever or after strange things made by homebrew.

No, it won't fix any data corruption. It tells You that particular file was modified.
Backup is still highly advised, especially when You have big game library.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, thanks for the clarification and the link for more information!

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Wii ISO images have many sha1 check sums on board. The commands wit verify and wwt verify verify these check sums to find out bad dumps.

mike333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wiimm said:
Wii ISO images have many sha1 check sums on board. The commands wit verify and wwt verify verify these check sums to find out bad dumps.
I'm trying hard to find if above tools allows me to check wbfs _files_ on fat32. Help me please.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mike333 said:
FIX94 said:
WIT should be able to verify wbfs files...
Problem is that I cannot find wbfs word on page mentioned earlier.
I tested it now and it works!
witm.png

I used WIT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one