Hacking Wasabi and SSBB error

robbrechter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had Wasabi installed on a DMS NTSC Wii. I burned SSBB Wiizard ISO with no errors on Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x at 1x speed, using layer break. When I put the disc in, the Wii says it cannot read the disc. SMG and all other games run perfectly on Wasabi.

Any suggestions aside from locating other media (I'm planning to pick some up tomorrow)? I really hope I don't have to send this back to Nintendo after just installing this chip.

Marticuno

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well since SSBB is a tricky game for some to get to work, you must simply try different things. Burn without layer break, higher speed (this could very well be the reason) and a different media. The Wii is very picky. Most likely, it's the speed. Since you have a Wasabi, which I think don't need the layer break, try without the layer break and lets say 4x maybe. But don't blame me if it doesn't work ^^

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. You shouldn't ever burn anything at 1x. I burnt my copy without layerbreak at 6-8x and it works perfect on verbatim singapores.

Marticuno

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, I HAVE to burn everything on 1x or it wont work. Whadya say now, smartass?
wink.gif

robbrechter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no dice on 2.4x (fastest my laptop drive goes) without layer break. Getting new discs tomorrow.

Now if I were to use a retail disc and it still doesn't work, then would it be a drive problem and not a media problem?

federico69

Trophies
XP
Country
Well there is your problem right there. I've read numerous accounts of people having problem with laptop burners. Try a late model Pioneer burner on an external cradle and you should be fine. I use a 111 (on a desktop) and it works perfect everytime.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Marticuno said:
Well, I HAVE to burn everything on 1x or it wont work. Whadya say now, smartass?
wink.gif

I say this: QUOTEI burned SSBB at 1x speed, using layer break. When I put the disc in, the Wii says it cannot read the disc.

hehe. Try renting it and see if the retail works? Or try verbatims, maybe? It's hard to tell if it's the burner or your wii, ya know?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Marticuno said:
Well since SSBB is a tricky game for some to get to work, you must simply try different things. Burn without layer break, higher speed (this could very well be the reason) and a different media. The Wii is very picky. Most likely, it's the speed. Since you have a Wasabi, which I think don't need the layer break, try without the layer break and lets say 4x maybe. But don't blame me if it doesn't work ^^

I used a Verbatim DL-R and burned at 2.4 times without a layer break using IsoBurn and mine works fine.

Using Wiikey tho.

finite

Trophies
XP
Country
Launch drives are more likely to have problems reading the original of SSBB, but laptop drives also suck particularly when it comes to firmware.

robbrechter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay Singapore Verbatims also did not work. I'm going to try a retail copy this evening. At that point, I will have narrowed it down to either the Wii drive or my laptop drive (probably not the laptop drive because all other burns have been great).

Good thing I got a Wasabi and not a Wiikey...

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
robbrechter said:
Okay Singapore Verbatims also did not work. I'm going to try a retail copy this evening. At that point, I will have narrowed it down to either the Wii drive or my laptop drive (probably not the laptop drive because all other burns have been great).

Good thing I got a Wasabi and not a Wiikey...

Have you ever burnt a DL on your laptop before? Good SL burners may not be good DL burners.

Scoobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
robbrechter said:
I just had Wasabi installed on a DMS NTSC Wii. I burned SSBB Wiizard ISO with no errors on Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x at 1x speed, using layer break. When I put the disc in, the Wii says it cannot read the disc. SMG and all other games run perfectly on Wasabi.

Any suggestions aside from locating other media (I'm planning to pick some up tomorrow)? I really hope I don't have to send this back to Nintendo after just installing this chip.

Here's a hint

Those saying burn at slow speeds are misguided. It may well work, but you can burn this game on cheapy media without problem if you stick to 6x . This is because the Wii natively reads at 6x so it makes sense you right at 6x too.

I had 2 coasters before I picked up that the Wii was reading at 6x , burnt one copy on a 50p DL disk and have had no skipping audio / video or any problems at all.

It may be obvious, but I don't know your experience - so also make sure you specify a layer break and burn as a DVD-ROM booktype ; as its no real trouble and does improve compatibility , no point gambling.

robbrechter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so then this may actually be where the problem lies. Because It's a laptop drive, DL maxes at 2.4x. It's an Opti-arc drive and Imgburner doesn't find my drive in advanced settings to do DVD-ROM booktype. I did use the preconfigured .dvd file with the proper layer break, however.

I think the guy who installed it will remove the chip and install it onto a D2C replacement for a nominal fee if I choose to go that route. Now here's another question, is there particular reason for keeping the DMS Wii over a D2C. I know the D2C is harder to mod, but the guy who did it has experience doing Wasabis on D2C, so outside of it needing more wires, any other drawbacks?

Lastly, someone above mentioned internal Pioneer drives in a cradle for burning. I know that there are only specific drives for reading the actual discs for dumping files yourself, but is there any limitations on DVD burners? Couldn't I just get a high quality external drive (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10996) or should I avoid that route?

Sorry so many questions, I am very new to the Wii scene and am a recent Windows switcher, but I do sincerely appreciate all of the input.

EDIT: I used a can of compressed air and now the Verbatim disc runs. Every couple times I start it I get booted back to the main screen and I have to eject disc and then put it back in, but it's working at least.

erix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I've also got a problem running SSBB on my NTSC Wii modded with Wasabi.
All other games run perfectly but SSBB.
I burned it on a Verbatim DVD DL disc via IMG Burn , without layerbreak , on x4 speed.
I read this setting should work fine on wasabi , but when I put the disc in , wii just makes a few strange noises and tells me it's unable to read the disc.

What could be the cause of this ? Should I try different settings ?

thanks in advance

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Like "CLICK CLICK CLICK" and stop?

Then your problem may be also laser, my friend z polski, być może...

Which serial number you have? LEH10xxxxx-LEH13xxxx or higher?

erix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I have a USA console with serial number of LU342148989.
The noise isn't very loud or doesn't sound dangerous , more like a typical optical drive having trouble reading media.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1