Not open for further replies.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems as if nintendo is watching gbatemp very closely, a patch for a possible exploit was released yesterday in the newest wii u update only a couple of days after the corrupt mii to wii u method to possibly exploit wii u mode was talked about.

watch what you say if you don't want something easily patched. we're being watched.

if you haven't updated to 3.1.0 please check out this post. if there's a possibility to exploit, this could be it, especially if nintendo is hiding it. if you know anything about what you're doing, this could be worth your time.
thanks

and as a side note, don't update to 3.1.0 like I did!

a second side note, this means that nintendo CAN in fact edit vwii mode, as the mii maker there doesn't crash anymore. just for those that argue that nintendo can't touch it.

:rofl:

If i worked for nintendo, i would DEFINITELY be keeping a close eye on GBAtemp... Those guys are super hackers and crackers. /sarcasm

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think GBATemp should block Nintendo's IPs, and keep out lurkers entirely. You want to view something on GBATemp? Become a member. A combination of those two things should help keep our posts a bit more hush-hush, because right now we're a direct line-of-site for Nintendo, and it sucks. Afterall, the banner at the top of the page says "Underground Gaming Community". Maybe we should invoke an invite-only joining system...
You're acting as if GBATemp contains crucial hacking-related information which it does not. A single post on 3DBrew or fail0verflow reveals more information to Nintendo then a quadrillion of n00b posts on GBATemp.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think GBATemp should block Nintendo's IPs, and keep out lurkers entirely. You want to view something on GBATemp? Become a member. A combination of those two things should help keep our posts a bit more hush-hush, because right now we're a direct line-of-site for Nintendo, and it sucks. Afterall, the banner at the top of the page says "Underground Gaming Community". Maybe we should invoke an invite-only joining system...
Private Pm. For future reference, post "Possible Wii U exploit" then you could invite people into a private conversation you start. Invite some in to discuss it. However, you never know who is going to contribute, run and tell Nintendo if it is a usable exploit, share/steal your idea for others to "release" as if they created it, etc. IRC channels can be created but it has the same limitations as the PM conversation.

Only time exploits should be shared is when there is a way to prevent updates (hack, get in, prevent updates, work from there) and there is a way to dev. Limited to what the Mii could carry, and need to find a usable exploit. Lol, hey, just another worthless post with no usable information I suppose;-)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're acting as if GBATemp contains crucial hacking-related information which it does not. A single post on 3DBrew or fail0verflow reveals more information to Nintendo then a quadrillion of n00b posts on GBATemp.
Also, like nobody could use a VPN, proxy, or simply log into GBA temp (or simply view forum) from any zillion of the wifi spots out there in the wild? There are ways to keep info private, well, from many EXCEPT the NSA it seems.

Reactions: blinkzane

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's incredibly naive to think that not posting any information about exploits is magically going to make Nintendo stop patching them. Shockingly, they do have people who have whole jobs of nothing but working on security. Recent example w
Would be the never released but still patched 3ds exploit.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Also, like nobody could use a VPN, proxy, or simply log into GBA temp (or simply view forum) from any zillion of the wifi spots out there in the wild? There are ways to keep info private, well, from many EXCEPT the NSA it seems.

Don't be ridiculous. There is no such thing as privacy on the Internet and there never was - anonimity is an illusion.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be ridiculous. There is no such thing as privacy in the Internet and there never was - anonimity is an illusion.
True, but to feel somewhat comfortable, you know it always comes down to, "How much does somebody want it?" I believe the fourth amendment should apply but that is another debate (in reality it does not, and is illegally violated). Anyway, yes, everything is intercepted but the question is, "Who are you trying to hide this from?" IRC and PM convo with multiple participants would be seen by server operators here, probably those with complete access. I was told Supervisors cannot see a PM but may report somebody for it (odd?). Then it is out of search engines and only those invited can see it. IRC room, random name, "Dog training#31" and even starting a PM from that is possible. Unless people know the room OR have the type of access to servers (or NSA/CIA/FBI type of access to everything) then for THIS purpose that would work.

I agree 100% but add the disclaimer; it depends on who you are trying to hide it from;-)

Reactions: blinkzane

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
True, but to feel somewhat comfortable, you know it always comes down to, "How much does somebody want it?" I believe the fourth amendment should apply but that is another debate (in reality it does not, and is illegally violated). Anyway, yes, everything is intercepted but the question is, "Who are you trying to hide this from?" IRC and PM convo with multiple participants would be seen by server operators here, probably those with complete access. I was told Supervisors cannot see a PM but may report somebody for it (odd?). Then it is out of search engines and only those invited can see it. IRC room, random name, "Dog training#31" and even starting a PM from that is possible. Unless people know the room OR have the type of access to servers (or NSA/CIA/FBI type of access to everything) then for THIS purpose that would work.

I agree 100% but add the disclaimer; it depends on who you are trying to hide it from;-)

The Fourth Amendment doesn't provide you with the right to perform illegal actions in privacy. The argument that your conversations or interactions online shouldn't be subject to monitoring because you're a free citizen pales when you consider the fact that we live in a Big Brother society and we've chosen to live in one for the sake of our own security.

People chant about privacy on the Internet and yet when a peadophile chats online with minors, meets up with them in real life and then proceeds to rape the living hell out of the victims, everybody's in an uproar about how nobody's done anything at all to prevent that from happening.

Make up your mind, people. It's either prevention by means of monitoring suspicious activity or privacy - you can't have both.

That, and the U.S.A is not the navel of the world - there are other countries with different legislature out there which also have the Internet, y'know.

Reactions: gamefan5

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Fourth Amendment doesn't provide you with the right to perform illegal actions in privacy. The argument that your conversations or interactions online shouldn't be subject to monitoring because you're a free citizen pales when you consider the fact that we live in a Big Brother society and we've chosen to live in one for the sake of our own security.

People chant about privacy on the Internet and yet when a peadophile chats with minors, meets up with them in real life and then proceeds to rape the living hell out of his victims, everybody's in an uproar about how the nobody's done anything at all to prevent that from happening.

Make up your mind, people. It's either prevention by means of monitoring suspicious activity or privacy - you can't have both.
False dichotomy and has anything for "security" stopped evil from thriving?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*Snippity Snip!*

You're mistakenly thinking that this is in any way loss of liberty. A crime committed in the middle of the street is equivalent to a crime committed in the privacy of your own home through the Internet.

You wouldn't say that police patrols in cities are a stupid idea and yet the exact same officers crawling the Internet looking for suspicious activity are something odd for you when the only difference is the difference of space - physical space versus cyberspace.

I'm not talking about tapping your phone and listening in on your private conversations, I'm talking about crawler bots which browse the web and collecting publicly available information because that's the context here. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear from Internet monitoring.

Not to look too far for examples, don't be surprised if someone takes you to court if you defame him/her on Facebook if you've literally defamed him/her on Facebook. The fact that the incident occured in cyberspace doesn't make it any less serious than if it occured via any other medium or directly.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paranoia runnin wild.

Nintendo may have people watching message boards, but I'm sure it's not their main means of rooting out possible hacks and exploits. More likely they're looking for people linking to ROMS/ISOS so they can issue cease and desists.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paranoia runnin wild.

Nintendo may have people watching message boards, but I'm sure it's not their main means of rooting out possible hacks and exploits. More likely they're looking for people linking to ROMS/ISOS so they can issue cease and desists.

there's a whole website dedicated to wii iso's and .wad's. they've been up for a couple of years now, they're more worried about their system going to shit when homebrew gets installed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
tl;dr This is a publicly available forum and whatever you post here is visible to anyone with no exceptions, including guests. Screening of members is non-existant and frankly, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't stay that way. Users are individually accountable for the contents of the posts they make, period.

there's a whole website dedicated to wii iso's and .wad's. they've been up for a couple of years now, they're more worried about their system going to shit when homebrew gets installed.

And you know that because you're a Nintendo employee and you have access to Nintendo's hit list on which GBATemp, the source of no exploits at all in the history of ever (because it's a hang-out place for teens and pre-teens where they get to find out how to mod their systems with already existing hacks, not an actual hacker hub) is one of the top priority targets.

I'll say this one more time - the important information about system hacking is not available on GBATemp. It's posted via numerous other mediums or in some cases kept hidden. 99,99% of GBATemp members do not have the means, the hardware or the necessary know-how to hack a console from scratch. These are the harsh facts.

We get people who divide 3DS'es into PAL and NTSC ones and you're seriously thinking that GBATemp is in any way detrimental to console hacking? C'mon. 3DBrew and DSiBrew post results of register mapping, DSiBrew even has instructions on how to dump the currently undumpable by software means DSi NAND, fail0verflow posted several posts with tidbits about the process of hacking the WiiU - GBATemp has what? WiiFlow instructions? :rofl2:

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you know that because you're a Nintendo employee and you have access to Nintendo's hit list on which GBATemp, the source of no exploits at all in the history of ever (because it's a hang-out place for teens and pre-teens where they get to find out how to mod their systems with already existing hacks, not an actual hacker hub) is one of the top priority targets.

I'll say this one more time - the important information about system hacking is not available on GBATemp. It's posted via numerous other mediums or in some cases kept hidden. 99,99% of GBATemp members do not have the means, the hardware or the necessary know-how to hack a console from scratch. These are the harsh facts.

We get people who divide 3DS'es into PAL and NTSC ones and you're seriously thinking that GBATemp is in any way detrimental to console hacking? C'mon. 3DBrew and DSiBrew post results of register mapping, DSiBrew even has instructions on how to dump the currently undumpable by software means DSi NAND, fail0verflow posted several posts with tidbits about the process of hacking the WiiU - GBATemp has what? WiiFlow instructions? :rofl2:

so fucking what, am I not allowed to say what I want? I'm tired of seeing all these posts about how much of a shit website this is, all I did was post the obvious for those who didn't know, obviously you guys did, so the fuck what?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
so fucking what, am I not allowed to say what I want? I'm tired of seeing all these posts about how much of a shit website this is, all I did was post the obvious for those who didn't know, obviously you guys did, so the fuck what?

Calm down. I don't see why you're getting so upset, I didn't mean to offend you, I merely stated the facts - there are better places out there for Nintendo to keep a watchful eye on. ;)

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calm down. I don't see why you're getting so upset, I didn't mean to offend you, I merely stated the facts - there are better placed out there for Nintendo to keep a watchful eye on. ;)

sorry, I've had a rough day, and this on top of other things didn't help.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tl;dr This is a publicly available forum and whatever you post here is visible to anyone with no exceptions, including guests. Screening of members is non-existant and frankly, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't stay that way. Users are individually accountable for the contents of the posts they make, period.
I edited. What has anything you promote stopped?
You're mistakenly thinking that this is in any way loss of liberty. A crime committed in the middle of the street is equivalent to a crime committed in the privacy of your own home through the Internet.

You wouldn't say that police patrols in cities are a stupid idea and yet the exact same officers crawling the Internet looking for suspicious activity are something odd for you when the only difference is the difference of space - physical space versus cyberspace.

I'm not talking about tapping your phone and listening in on your private conversations, I'm talking about crawler bots which browse the web and collecting publicly available information because that's the context here. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear from Internet monitoring.

Not to look too far for examples, don't be surprised if someone takes you to court if you defame him/her on Facebook if you've literally defamed him/her on Facebook. The fact that the incident occured in cyberspace doesn't make it any less serious than if it occured via any other medium or directly.
"If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear from Internet monitoring." Okay, lets put a camera on you 24 hours a day to test your dedication to this view, AND know it is all watched. "If you won't do it in public, don't do it" is this right? So why are people so damn secretive when they sell it as you try to do? Surely, the White House and any other "public business" should be monitored right? Why so secretive?

--I say lets cut to the chase, take the MARK, so that we cannot buy, sell, trade...go anywhere without being monitored, etc. May as well say we have PERMISSION if we ask, and no rights at all. Lets get rid of free will, what good has it ever done? Who needs a prison when you can mark everyone and control everything they do? If you violate laws, maybe just hit a button and kill them, right? It is a choice between freedom and security, right? So it follows that if we want the most security we must have no freedom;-) This is per your view that it is an inverse relationship between freedom and security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol