The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
WioWao said:
monochrome.scene said:
WioWao said:
ThePowerOutage said:
The whole rotating thing would be pretty hard to code, the homebrew 3D engine isn't the best apparently.
Not insinuating that you are dumb, but why should you not be able to easily rotate a 3D character with a 3D engine?
He never said it was impossible, just very hard to code.

Since it's 3D, why not use the Super Mario 64 editor? =P
Im still not getting this? Then the whole 3D aspect of the game is "hard to code". Not just the rotating part, as rotating objects in a 3 dimensional space is the most basic function of a 3D Engine afaik.

Let me edit my earlier question a bit then.
I said that under the assumption the coder is new to DS programming.
Also, generating 360 degree 3D sprite on the fly or make separate models for every coronation is not something to be scoffed at. Something tells me you aren't aquinted with DS programming. ( DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually coded dS 3D myself but I am perfectly acquainted with it as I know people IRL that have struggled with it and people on here that have struggled with it. Please keep in mind that the majority of DS homebrew is 2D. However, recently a few more libraries for 3D in the DS have been created and as of yet I haven't looked in to them)

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
monochrome.scene said:
Won't that be a little too hard to code?

Oh, and by the way, what did you think about the story I've imagined? I kinda like your idea, with the wall and all, but I was wondering if you could give your opinion on my own.

I think the story is good, but because of all of the posts I think it became a bit complicated. Maybe - if Etteer finished the site - we can make one story together.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ThePowerOutage said:
WioWao said:
monochrome.scene said:
WioWao said:
ThePowerOutage said:
The whole rotating thing would be pretty hard to code, the homebrew 3D engine isn't the best apparently.
Not insinuating that you are dumb, but why should you not be able to easily rotate a 3D character with a 3D engine?
He never said it was impossible, just very hard to code.

Since it's 3D, why not use the Super Mario 64 editor? =P
Im still not getting this? Then the whole 3D aspect of the game is "hard to code". Not just the rotating part, as rotating objects in a 3 dimensional space is the most basic function of a 3D Engine afaik.

Let me edit my earlier question a bit then.
Also, generating 360 degree 3D sprite on the fly or make separate models for every coronation is not something to be scoffed at. Something tells me you aren't aquinted with DS programming. ( DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually coded dS 3D myself but I am perfectly acquainted with it as I know people IRL that have struggled with it and people on here that have struggled with it. Please keep in mind that the majority of DS homebrew is 2D. However, recently a few more libraries for 3D in the DS have been created and as of yet I haven't looked in to them)

But if the programmer couldn't make 3D objects, wouldn't it be hard then to walk through levels? Because the gameplay is about the same as most of the Square Enix games.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but it's different for us as we rely on different tools and (probably) don't have as good coders.
Anyway, I'll get those graphics as soon as possible. Computers been a pain though
frown.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Urza said:
Waflix said:
Urza said:
So if I have this correctly, you don't bring any skills to the project yourself?

No, that is not true.
My role in this video game is to plan this game, add a crew, arrange (Beta) testers, etc..
I am the one that oversees everything.
But if you suggest I have to do more, I will look what I can do.
Those aren't skills, those are jobs (and the ones you listed don't necessarily require any skills).

Fact of the matter is, if you don't bring anything to the table yourself, you're going to have a hard time finding others willing to expend their time and effort. Your game "concept" is basically one sentence of plot and a description of an RPG. Might as well save yourself the trouble.

LoL, yea. See, Shigeru Miyamoto doesnt program his Zelda games himself, he is just a "supervisor" and yet he is one of the most important parts in game developing and earns piles of money. Leading a team successfully is actually skill.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ThePowerOutage said:
Yes, but it's different for us as we rely on different tools and (probably) don't have as good coders.
Anyway, I'll get those graphics as soon as possible. Computers been a pain though
frown.gif

Well, the other programmer is also new. He knows C++, but he doesn't know DSC++. But because he's in Egypt right now, and he doesn't even know that he is on this project, we need some coders yes...
But I wish you succes with your computer and the graphics. Maybe I should write you down as Lead Designer, is that okay?

WiiBricker said:
Urza said:
Waflix said:
QUOTE(Urza @ Jan 2 2011, 05:20 PM) So if I have this correctly, you don't bring any skills to the project yourself?

No, that is not true.
My role in this video game is to plan this game, add a crew, arrange (Beta) testers, etc..
I am the one that oversees everything.
But if you suggest I have to do more, I will look what I can do.
Those aren't skills, those are jobs (and the ones you listed don't necessarily require any skills).

Fact of the matter is, if you don't bring anything to the table yourself, you're going to have a hard time finding others willing to expend their time and effort. Your game "concept" is basically one sentence of plot and a description of an RPG. Might as well save yourself the trouble.

LoL, yea. See, Shigeru Miyamoto doesnt program his Zelda games himself, he is just a "supervisor" and yet he is one of the most important parts in game developing and earns piles of money. Leading a team successfully is actually skill.

Maybe you can be example-man! And thanks for supporting by the way.

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
ThePowerOutage said:
It sounds like you want to generate 360 individual images? Why do that when it is capable of rendering it realtime? I know very well that most of the homebrew is 2D but to say that the step from 2D to 3D is huge, programming-wise, would be a bit of an exaggeration. Sure there is more work and you have to get people capable of modelling characters, scenes etc. I put out a simple question as this game would be much prettier with 3D graphics and therefore wanted to inform you that it is not so difficult after all. You are getting a bit too close with the QUOTESomething tells me you aren't aquinted with DS programming
I have not used the 3D-hardware in the DS but i have programmed my own, very simple without faces, 3D engine on the DS, as seen on my blog in my signature. This is not a competition of knowledge, i simply wanted to help.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WioWao said:
ThePowerOutage said:
It sounds like you want to generate 360 individual images? Why do that when it is capable of rendering it realtime? I know very well that most of the homebrew is 2D but to say that the step from 2D to 3D is huge, programming-wise, would be a bit of an exaggeration. Sure there is more work and you have to get people capable of modelling characters, scenes etc. I put out a simple question as this game would be much prettier with 3D graphics and therefore wanted to inform you that it is not so difficult after all. You are getting a bit too close with the QUOTESomething tells me you aren't aquinted with DS programming
I have not used the 3D-hardware in the DS but i have programmed my own, very simple without faces, 3D engine on the DS, as seen on my blog in my signature. This is not a competition of knowledge, i simply wanted to help.

If you say you have experience, you can join the team as the 3D Artist. But ThePowerOutage has to agree.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
WioWao said:
ThePowerOutage said:
Sorry, I didn't realize you had done so much work on the DS. After you brought it up I looked around and, as I mentioned, their are various new libraries. I havent done any DS programming for a long time and never real went into 3D due to several people saying it was very difficult. (and AFAIK, rendering in real time was difficult, buggy and slow back then. I guess things have progressed, I guess I should have read up a little more before posting. However, I would like to know if you were interested in this project? It might be a decent place to test out your 3D engine some more

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Np.
Well the 3D stuff i wrote will not run nearly as fast as if using the 3D-hardware of the DS. Mine was just a for-fun-project to learn how it works. Running the whole game in a 3D scenary will require dedicated work. Especially the animating of stuff, im not so keen on that. This might be possible though : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KLgbzvm4O4 the way this world works with 8 direction sprites and a 3D world, not animated, should be possible. We have to take in consideration that the best 3D games we see on the DS are made by fulltime pros
tongue.gif

So 3D is definitely possible, but if this project is ever to be finished you should stick to 2D. Perhaps with prerendered 3D graphics. I don't want to decide what you should use. Just informing you of the possibilities.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WioWao said:
Np.
Well the 3D stuff i wrote will not run nearly as fast as if using the 3D-hardware of the DS. Mine was just a for-fun-project to learn how it works. Running the whole game in a 3D scenary will require dedicated work. Especially the animating of stuff, im not so keen on that. This might be possible though : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KLgbzvm4O4 the way this world works with 8 direction sprites and a 3D world, not animated, should be possible. We have to take in consideration that the best 3D games we see on the DS are made by fulltime pros
tongue.gif

So 3D is definitely possible, but if this project is ever to be finished you should stick to 2D. Perhaps with prerendered 3D graphics. I don't want to decide what you should use. Just informing you of the possibilities.

Maybe we can use (as WioWao said) use the 8 sprite system. And we use that to with the creating of the character.
If you press the L or R button, the character won't turn 360 degrees, it turns 45 degrees, and you see the next sprite.

But WioWao and ThePowerOutage, do you want to join the team or not?

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, I forgot to mention to add me. Though lead graphics artist might not be a good idea (im currently devoting a lot of my time to a iOS game) I'll happilly help in the graphics department

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ThePowerOutage said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention to add me. Though lead graphics artist might not be a good idea (im currently devoting a lot of my time to a iOS game) I'll happilly help in the graphics department

I edited the crew list, and now you are the "(Just) Designer". Agree?

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Waflix said:
ThePowerOutage said:

Yep, Thanks!
My computer is at 37% restored... It's been going an 1 3/4 already.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ThePowerOutage said:
Waflix said:
ThePowerOutage said:

Yep, Thanks!

This question isn't related to this topic, but I just ask it: What happened to your computer?

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Waflix said:
ThePowerOutage said:
Waflix said:
ThePowerOutage said:

Yep, Thanks!

This question isn't related to this topic, but I just ask it: What happened to your computer?
My bother picked up a particularly nasty virus so I had to reinstall. Done that, nofw I'm restoring iles, and due to how slow my computer is it's not a good idea to multitask.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A *facepalm* for your brother.
But succes with the restoring of your computer. (This is almost like a private chat!)

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
monochrome.scene said:
I've been thinking of a whole new concept for the land in this game:
Zenzai is separated by a long river, into two different territories. One specifically inhabited by Black elves, elves wielding the power of the shadows. [Or you know, something along the line =P] The one on the other side is only inhabited by White elves, wielding the holy power of light.
They were once both white elves, allied, but coming from separate kingdoms, and thus controlled by two different kings. The strong prosperity from one of the kingdoms sparked a rivalry between the two kings, both finally deciding to resort to violence, and thus, war. However, one of the kings, overwhelmed by the enemy, resorted to the use of a forbidden magic/technique/arcana [Well, you know, something completely hidden and utterly strong] which would unleash the full strength of the elves, which involves unleashing the dark side inside of them. Everyone in his own kingdom were corrupted, and those that were of pure heart were quickly dispatched.

Thus, the White elves were quickly defeated by their unholy opponent, and had to go on hiding, protecting the king from the grasps of the monsters.
Oh, and based on this storyline, we should probably go for a prologue level, explaining Zenzai's background.

And well, that's mostly it, while the story will start from there. What do you think? Honestly, criticize me all you want xD

Hmm sounds good. I need to take a while of thinking new things to add on this. I think I will mostly be working a personal storyline/Character spoken script
biggrin.gif
So far so good.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
boktor666 said:
monochrome.scene said:
Zenzai is separated by a long river, into two different territories. One specifically inhabited by Black elves, elves wielding the power of the shadows. [Or you know, something along the line =P] The one on the other side is only inhabited by White elves, wielding the holy power of light.
They were once both white elves, allied, but coming from separate kingdoms, and thus controlled by two different kings. The strong prosperity from one of the kingdoms sparked a rivalry between the two kings, both finally deciding to resort to violence, and thus, war. However, one of the kings, overwhelmed by the enemy, resorted to the use of a forbidden magic/technique/arcana [Well, you know, something completely hidden and utterly strong] which would unleash the full strength of the elves, which involves unleashing the dark side inside of them. Everyone in his own kingdom were corrupted, and those that were of pure heart were quickly dispatched.

Thus, the White elves were quickly defeated by their unholy opponent, and had to go on hiding, protecting the king from the grasps of the monsters.
Oh, and based on this storyline, we should probably go for a prologue level, explaining Zenzai's background.

And well, that's mostly it, while the story will start from there. What do you think? Honestly, criticize me all you want xD

Hmm sounds good. I need to take a while of thinking new things to add on this. I think I will mostly be working a personal storyline/Character spoken script
biggrin.gif
So far so good.

What do you mean with 'Character Spoken Script'?
And please, also add what I said about the landscape; the half moon, the wall, etc..

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Waflix said:
boktor666 said:
monochrome.scene said:

biggrin.gif
So far so good.

What do you mean with 'Character Spoken Script'?
And please, also add what I said about the landscape; the half moon, the wall, etc..

Hehe, what I meant was the character Dialogue. A story would be nothing without it's characters. I will be focussing on the main background that is telling the on-going story. Yes, i will take your thing with it too.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==