.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
well, I had a coder and he was doing a slow but decent job. but thats all done with now.
(he was making it in GM for PC users)

a while ago I got offered from someone willing to make it into an .NDS, which wouldve been neat but I already had a coder, so I turned him down.

although I am certainly happy with any language, it would be neat to make it into a DS rom.

let me talk about the game:

as most of you should know, Im a pretty good pixelartist. Im currently doing a few paying jobs for various games and websites, but I still want to make a game of my own, despite my lack of any coding knowledge
tongue.gif

and a while ago I found my brothers copy of relentless/little big adventure and rememered how awesome this game was, I had some platformer tiles I made a while ago and I wanted to make a relentless related platformer game with them.
so I came up with "Twinsen"
newocto7an.png
the basic story of the game is as follows:
for reference, twinsen is the name of the main character, and twinsun is his home planet
network tv executives on an alien planet are struggling with low ratings, eventually they come up with the idea of turning one of their neighbouring planets (twinsun) into a giant ant farm by pushing two massive sheets of glass through it and filming the results.
twinsen wakes up to find hes one of the few people that got caught between the sheets, and he sets out to try and fix the state of his home planet.

thats pretty much the story, simple, funny and somewhat unique.
but the main focus (like any good game) is on the gameplay.
what is different about "Twinsen" is that the game changes depending on how you progress;
say you go through levels killing all the badguys, the game will start throwing more enemies at you to kill and the levels will change giving you harder areas to fight in.
and say you go through levels avoiding all enemies, the game will give you more opportunities to avoid conflict with enemies.
etc

also, theres the counter located in the bottom right of the HUD, this indicates how many viewers you have, you lose viewers when you die, but gain for killing enemies, finding secret items, performing combos, pretty much everything.

with this in mind, and the way the game changes depending on how you play it, its a game made with speedrunners in mind, I love it when games give the players opportunities to perform special little things you know only a small group of hardcore gamers have accomplished.
and Twinsen will give those opportunities all the time, or if the player isnt interested, it wont.
I can easily imagine watching speedruns of this game, people running through levels, avoiding killing enemies and avoiding items, then watching a different speedrun where the speedrunner is trying to get a higher rating, so hes killing everyone and finding as many items as fast as possible

if anyone is interested in coding this, have a play with:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ffu1un
A slightly old engine demo, its a bit buggy, but its the best one my coder could salvage before things started to fuck up.

so yeah, I hope I can find a coder and you all can enjoy this game
yaynds.gif

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow looks really nice. I wish i could help you, all im good at is design stuff, which obvioulsy you dont need me for..LOL.

anyways good luck on your searches
biggrin.gif
, i actually have seen your sig ages ago and have been waiting for a little release like this. Im impressed
biggrin.gif

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Too bad, a DS version would have been really nice...
frown.gif
You could even sell it to the homebrew & piracy community. Now that would be a revolutionary idea...
cool.gif
Even better, make it cross platform so that it runs on the GP2X, too...

.TakaM

.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
a DS rom would be nice.. but just getting this game done is my priority I dont care too much what its made for as long as I and a healthy amount of people can play it.

and kingeightsix, GM is 'gamemaker' and as the name suggests its a coding program for making games, its pretty underrated because a lot of n00bs use it to make pacman and mario clones...

retrohead

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
That's pretty sweet .TakaM, im glad to see you found a coder! Your pixel art is cool man and it's good too see that people are starting to see that graphic artists can take the lead role in a project. I hope the guy you got making it can do your art justice as that would be my biggest concern had I be coding it.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf