Hacking Want to buy Gateway 3DS, have questions

faster7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With gateway card you can, load up games to the cart and play roms straight away offline (or own dumps online). With CFW you need to wait a while while the s*** installs and since gateway uses a CFW too you can choose to install s*** for online play any way.
But if you buy a GW you support the original team that made it possible and thus in effect continue their work to release updates to current GW owners.
Either way you need to be on 9.2 or lower or downgrade to it.

Yeah I'm on a 2014 firmware version, I should be fine.
Everyone is saying cfw is amazing but there has to be downsides or gateway3ds would not be in business.

Generally speaking if you must go with a flashcart at least get a Sky3DS+. Then you don't have to worry about if a future firmware will support it. Yes it costs more but later on if you go with A9LH or Emunand or whatever then it will still work.

Does sky3ds have the best update support? Isn't gateway3ds the leading flashcart?

gbatemplloyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My 3ds firmware is a 2014 version. I haven't updated in 2 years.

What are the downsides of cfw compared to flashcarts?[/QUOTE]

well the downside of cfw is...... if you dont follow every step in the guide, you might end up in brick 3ds

D

Deleted-379826

As mentioned before it's just a small bit simpler except 80 more dollars and the guide is extremely easy and has like 1% of brick even if you follow it wrongly or maybe even less just don't be dumb and you saved yourself a lot of money and I believe there are also ways for cheats or you could buy an action replay which is much cheaper and better in my opinion with better cheats

Son of Spam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm on a 2014 firmware version, I should be fine.
Everyone is saying cfw is amazing but there has to be downsides or gateway3ds would not be in business.

Does sky3ds have the best update support? Isn't gateway3ds the leading flashcart?

The downsides to CFW:
1. Games need to be installed as CIA files.
2. Cheat system right now isn't as robust and user-friendly as Gateway.

Other than that, Gateway offers no major advantages over CFW, especially if you are running a CFW on A9LH. The only reason Gateway was ever relevant was that it used to be the only option for playing ROMs on the 3DS. Free CFW has caught up in most regards.

The Sky3DS is a different kind of flashcart. It emulates 3DS carts. As of right now, it works on every 3DS firmware, even if it isn't hacked. It doesn't have any of the advanced features of Gateway or CFW though.

D

Deleted-379826

The downsides to CFW:

Other than that, Gateway offers no major advantages over CFW, especially if you are running a CFW on A9LH. The only reason Gateway was ever relevant was that it used to be the only option for playing ROMs on the 3DS. Free CFW has caught up in most regards.

The Sky3DS is a different kind of flashcart. It emulates 3DS carts. As of right now, it works on every 3DS firmware, even if it isn't hacked. It doesn't have any of the advanced features of Gateway or CFW though.
Also adding to this the only difference with installing the cia is you'll need a get a manager and installing it is just one click except it takes any time from a few minutes to an hour but just do something else in the mean time

faster7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The downsides to CFW:

Luma3ds is starting to look like a great option.

So, any firmware 9.2.0 and below works right? My supercard DSTWO works with my current firmware(older than 9.2). I don't know if it will work with a newer firmware. I don't want to upgrade because of that.

I hear that it has slowdown issues with 128GB sd cards?

I'm not concerned about cheat.

Anything else I need to know that is not in the guide?

D

Deleted-379826

So, any firmware 9.2.0 and below works right? My supercard DSTWO works with my current firmware(older than 9.2). I don't know if it will work with a newer firmware. I don't want to upgrade because of that.

Do not upgrade

Son of Spam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-While the DSTWO will work on any known 3DS firmware, Firmware 9.2 is definitely the firmware you want to be on for homebrew. You don't want to go any higher than that though. The Phailect guide tells how to update to this.
-I have a 200GB microSD card in my New 3DS with Luna3DS on A9LH and it works perfectly. Large SD cards can have issues with autobooting hacks like menuhax. That's one of the reasons I switched to A9LH.
-There's not much else to say about it. Outside of being able to run games straight from the Gateway's SD card and Gateway's cheat system, there's not much it has going for it anymore. Even getting your 3DS prepared for it is about as equally complicated as installing CFW. At the heart of it, Gateway is simply a CFW itself.

weks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if TS wants to buy flash card i suggest just buy a DS flashcard, r4igold etc.

3DS A9LH + Luma3DS + DS Flashcard = Perfect 3DS with all DS & 3DS games compatibility

Reactions: TheDuckMan64

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Firmware 9.2.0 (or 9.0.0, they're functionally the same minus one home menu title that doesn't affect much) opens a whole world of possibilities. One of those possibilities is to "Make a clone of your internal NAND (stores your operating system) onto your SD card, and run it as if it were your actual system+hacks applied." This is called "Emulated Nand (EmuNand)", more recently known as "Redirected Nand (RedNand)".

Because you have a completely separate Nand on your SD card and aren't running the one from your internal system, you are allowed to update it. However, more recent developments made it possible to use hacks on sysnand while being able to update it, but for the sake of confusion I will leave it at that for now.

If you are interested, follow the first 3 parts of the Plailect Wiki linked by a couple of users throughout this thread. If you want to get an update-able Custom FirmWare (CFW) on your System Nand (SysNand), then follow the last two parts. However, please do not skip any steps in the guide, or you may risk a brick.

---

If there's anything the guide doesn't tell you, here's what you should know:
- You can and should only ever update your system through System Settings. You can update games before running them, or do it directly through eShop.
- You won't lose any games/saves in the process of following the guide. You'll also have your NNID/Mii puzzle pieces/Miis and still be able to streetpass.
- You can play online, whether or not the game is out of your system's region. You need Config.cia from Nintendo's Dev Tools Pack to change the EULA to FF FF in order to do this.
- The guide takes about 3-5 hours total to go through, and you won't be able to use your 3DS until you're completely done. Do it in a single sitting, if possible, and don't do it to more than 1 3DS at a time unless you're super careful managing your files. (Mixing and matching is the last thing you want to happen during this process)
- You can uninstall and install software using a 3DS homebrew app called FBI. You should never enter Data Management or you could risk deleting all your home menu games/apps.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,
D

Deleted User

well the downside of cfw is...... if you dont follow every step in the guide, you might end up in brick 3ds
If you don't follow all the steps to nearly any type of guide something bad is usually bound to happen so it's not really a downside unique to CFW.

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason they're in business is because they *USED* to have significant advantages that only they could offer. The only sales they're making now are from people like you (no offense) who assume that they're the best route to take based on outdated information. Trust me, you'll want to take the free route. If anything, having your games all installed on the home menu versus on a separate MicroSD is an amazing advantage.

Reactions: Deleted User

Emenaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well many people talk trash about Gateway though I still use it anyway because at least it has rom support and the in-game cheat menu where you can toggle cheats, search for cheats, RAM dump, hex edit, etc, in real time.
But as of now I don't recommend that you buy one unless you really want to play .3ds games(without having to install .cia games) or use these cheat features.

Last edited by Emenaria,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Well many people talk trash about Gateway though I still use it anyway because at least it has rom support and the nice in-game cheat menu where you can toggle cheats, search for cheats, RAM dump, hex edit, etc, in real time.
But as of now I don't recommend that you buy one unless you really want to play .3ds games(without having to install .cia games) and use these cheat features.
NTR also lets you cheat. I dunno how the cheat plugins work but it still may be good enough for some people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica