Hacking vWii mode bricked

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It might affect the content installed on vWii (like saves, installed channels etc.), but it doesn't reinstall clean IOS.
On Wii, when formating, it never downgraded the IOS back to clean system menu v1.0 (or 0.8) state.
Unfortunately, the console doesn't keep a clean version of files that shouldn't be edited by games or the users.

I don't know if formating WiiU mode really affected your patched/edited vWii IOSes, but I find it technically not possible.
It could be done, if WiiU had a backup of a vWii clean NAND, but I don't think it's the case, it would waste WiiU NAND space for nothing. nintendo wouldn't store data for something which should (normally) not be touched by the end user.

Reactions: puss2puss

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i understand, but i did actually try this 3 times to make sure..but i didnt try more, since if i format..i need to update..wich i didnt want :P anyway..
maybe they patched it, but what i think, is that some previous fw had all IOSs banked in the wiiU in case something happen or maybe to be able to easyly change some ios if they need to (wich i believe they actually did..). i mean, if BigN added some fix or protection in some of their ios, i guess the only way to force us to receive the changed ios would be in a wiiU update, and if an update from the wiiu can affect the iOSs in the vwii, i guess its not impossible that formatting also affected them..but aggain, i'm just speculating since i'm not sure what they did after in their other updates..maybe past 4.0 they patched it to make sure people wont find a 'bridge' between the 2 sides.. that would explain why now formating wouldnt touch the vwii's iOSs..dont know..

TheKroos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Formating wiiU doesn't affect vWii.
Do not bother formating the WiiU mode.

What you need is a way to install a clean IOS15.
if you can boot to system menu, then Homebrew channel you are fine. (you should be able to boot it, IOS15 is not used by System menu nor HBC)

vWii > Boot HBC > Use a wad manager > Install a clean vWii IOS15 (NOT a Wii IOS15, NOT a vWII IOS15 extracted from EmuNAND dump).
It's forbidden to ask or link IOS wads publicly on this forum.

If it doesn't even boot to vWii System menu, then there's nothing you can do. sending it is probably your only way to fix it.
There's another way, but it require an official update of vWii and I don't think nintendo will ever update IOS15.
WiiU sometime refuses to update if vWii is semi-bricked, so you even risk to not being able to update WiiU mode for future games/features.

Why did you think you had to downgrade IOS15?
Why would you need to? There are a lot of guide to hack vWii, and a lot of warning everywhere telling NOT to mess with IOS.

but if he sends it in with homebrew on it what will nintendo do? and i also bricked my Vwii mode and want to call nintendo support but dont know what to tell them

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tell them they dont put enough features in their consoles so you've tried adding some! :rofl:

..on a more serious note, not sure what you could tell them..maybe you can tell them that there was an update downloading in the background, and then, while not thinking about the update, you wanted to play Metroid Prime on the wii so you started the vwii, but accidently the power in your house have shut for a minute, and when you powered it again and wanted to play Metroid Prime on the wii, you where never able to boot to the menu, the screen stays black..oh and dont forget to mention that the update have resumed after and you're really happy with their work!:shit: .... ... . dont know what else you could tell them..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know what they will decide.
Either they won't accept to fix it, and send it back to you.
Either they will make you pay full price+hack tax to get it back ... (I think I read this somewhere, they can charge you for detected modification), but I don't know if they fix it or not. It might depend on the representative you send your console to (it's not Nintendo, they are affiliates)

In worst case you get your console back as it is right now, in best case you got it fixed. just be prepare to pay, warranty will not work.

Reactions: puss2puss

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o