Trophies
XP
Country
Hey people, I’m back with my second review. I hope you like it!! The game is:

Dead Space

Developer: IronMonkey Games
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Platform: iOS (All)

Here is my review system. I give my reviews out of 20, with separate sections for sound, graphics, gameplay and story. Each will get a sub-rating out of five. With each rating, I will provide my reasoning.

Story
This game is a separate chapter in the Dead Space storyline, and focuses on an Engineer named Vandal. He is out into the mines of Titan, forced to fight Necromorphs, and he is put in the middle of the battle between the Government and the Church.

The story is hooking and great, but you can get through it quickly (did it in under 5 hours). Hell, there’s even an achievement for finishing the game in uder two hours! The game is short, but sweet. It shows what console to iOS ports should be. (Naughty Bear iOS anyone?)

Rating: 5/5

My first perfect score! Congrats EA, you’ve really written a great storyline for this game.

Gameplay
The game has transferred the controls of the original Dead Space perfectly. From the character-HUD to the location system, everything is extremely well ported. There are a wide variety of new and old weapons, and the Bench allows you to upgrade them.

The left side of the screen is your movement. The right side is camera. Touch the right to shoot. Turn the device slightly to control your secondary fire mode.

The controls were great. I felt everything that was in Dead Space was here in some form (control wise).

Rating: 5 / 5

Plays great. I don’t think they missed one game play element.

Sound

From the creepy sound of a Necromorph screech, to the rewarding tune if it getting its head blown off, every sound in the game adds to the amazingly creepy atmosphere. The voice acting was great, and there was lots of it (unusual for iOS)

Deserves the 5. Every sound in this game was great. The horror of getting ripped apart is still here.

Graphics

Thought Infinity Blade had the best graphics? Yeah, but that’s all it had.

Dead Space has great graphics, and it will run on any device that uses iOS. Vandal’s animations look great, and the Necromorph’s keep all their glory. This is one of the best looking games on the system, and I will argue it looks better than Infinity Blade.

Excellent, just bloody excellent. All I have to say.

mzl.usnrjlls.jpg

Closing Comment

This game is the re-definition of console on the go. Everything is here. The gameplay, graphics, and story. This is truly Dead Space mobile.

Final Rating:

STORY: 5
GAMEPLAY: 5
SOUND: 5
GRAPHICS: 5

20 / 20
Need copy on launch day

This wasn’t rated as a sequel, as it was a separate story.

By the way, this is my classification system:
SINGLE GAMES:

1-5 – Dropped in the trash
5.5-10 – Try, but no buy
10.5-15 – Fun while it lasted
15.5-17 – Trying recommended
17.5-19.5 – Recommended for buying
20 – Need copy on launch day

SEQUELS, ETC.

1-5 – You say this is related to (insert previous game)?!
5.5-10 – Play the first again, forget this one
10.5-15 – Isn’t bad, but it’s not good
15.5-17 – Recommended for fans
17.5-19.5 – Grab one, even if you’ve never played (insert previous)
20 – Amazing, best sequel ever

VentusVanitas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I just thought it was a really good game. EA (along with Activision) is a company I don't usually like, but they've brought out a true iOS gem. (Dead Space and Sims are my fave EA games)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
There are downsides to every game, you just chose to ignore the ones that do exist because you personally liked the game so much. When reviewing, it is important to view the game from a non-biased perspective. For example: If you were to a review a game from a genre you hated, you couldn't just give the game low scores because you don't like that type of game.

The same idea goes for games that you really like too. Hell, I loved DQ IX, but when I ironed out the score from my review, it only got about a 7.8 out of 10 or something close to that. Not exactly the score you would expect from somebody who actually took the time to beat the game after not beating any other RPG for years.

tl;dr - Being non-biased is key. You are biased because of the fact that you like the game so much. It soils the review.

The review also isn't very in depth, not even leaving room to name the flaws.

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The monster graphics seem really weird to me. Their art stands out from the background. And like iluvfupaburgers said, the controls would not be too smooth because it is completely touch-based. For the sounds, the sounds don't seem to appeal to me too much. It's basically nothing but: screams, steps, and SFX. There doesn't seem to be any music from the video you gave us. The game isn't too scary because there's too much light. Just take down the brightness a bit and it'll be much scarier. The blood splatters don't look too detailed and look sloppy. Just my point of view. However, I do look how fighting is implemented in this game, other than the fact that you have to be very precise(from what I saw from the video.)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it comes out in another 20mins so I have no idea how you reviewed the whole entire game before it was even released

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
it comes out in another 20mins so I have no idea how you reviewed the whole entire game before it was even released

Its released I'm playing it now. (Obtained another way)

To be exact I got it 10:14 PM EST which is 34 minutes ago.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your scaling is really biased. Perfect score? I highly doubt any game can be perfect first off. There's always going to be a small flaw. Score scaling makes no sense either. Good effort though.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
This is one of the most biased reviews possible. Giving a perfect score? Really? I would recommend changing the score. And the system, since if you keep using story as a big factor, there are several games that do not rely on story but rather on gameplay and therefore, you must take note that gameplay always outweighs every other category.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
You gave story 5/5 then said 'my first perfect score!'

But you've only ever reviewed TWO games, THIS being your second. It didnt take very long for that achievement!

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My suggestion here: since you seem to be highly embellishing on the story: make it a greater score curve. Set it to like 10-20 points. Make everything else bigger. A review out of 20 doesn't really say that much. Things like sound, etc should be small points, features medium points, and in this case, make story a large point chunk. Generally, I make my reviews out of 50 or 100. It makes a more accurate scaling. Trust me buddy. Getting a perfect score is going to be quite difficult without bias.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sort of crap pisses me off. Not the review, but their decision to limit it's release to those with an iPad/iPhone. I've purchased Dead Space, Downfall, Extraction, Martyr, Ignition, Salvage, Aftermath and Dead Space 2. So naturally when I finish DS2 I would LOVE to play this separate chapter in the series, but no. They completely alienate fans who have supported EVERYthing they have released to date... until now. FAIL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.