Android Vita or GPD XD for retro emulation?

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have not had any problems with DC Emulation on the Shield or GPD XD. But on the GPD Win though, I am having problems. I want to be able to run a DC Game, but I have only ever been comfortable with nullDC_104_r136 . But it seems on the Win, I am having problems switching Disks. Not to mention it Crashes every so often. I have tried RetroArch, but it is not at 100% Speed and I dont think the Windows Build has a Switch Disk Function. Basically want to use a Cheat Disk with a few Games.

XC-3730C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Smoker1,

I have no plans on getting a GPD Win, so my only consideration at this point is a Shield Portable, or GPD XD. I am getting a Shield Portable soon, but I won't rule out the GPD XD.

Reactions: Smoker1

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
@Smoker1,

I have no plans on getting a GPD Win, so my only consideration at this point is a Shield Portable, or GPD XD. I am getting a Shield Portable soon, but I won't rule out the GPD XD.
In the previous post I was referring to the GPD XD vs Tegra 4. (But I accidently placed GPD Win in the text instead). They are both good devices, but the Shield portable is more bulky.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for DC Games, get reicast. You will have to go to the Website to get the latest Dev Builds since it has not been Updated in quite some time. However it seems to be picky on which File Extension is being used. GDI Images work great. I have found that CDI Images are touchy.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
One word of warning. The hardware of the GPD XD is very buggy and seems as if there has been barely any testing. You can destroy the battery by plugging a fast charger and fuse the display if you attempt to charge the device while switching off and on.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I found if you have the Cable Plugged in and Power it off, the Screen will remain On like the Device is still Powered On. Have to Disconnect, then Power Off. My Shield Portable also had Issues. Have to try to Power Off 2x.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 with hire Textures work flawlessly & you will find that Recast Emulator.. Again works perfectly with Nvidia shield portable.. there actually was a update for recast lately.. But still some games do not work.. But they're still updating stuff.. so maybe one day

angela18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the shield is that it is not really portable. I have all of them and GPD Win is my favourite since the quantity of games that you can play with it is just ridiculous. But I spent more time with the GPD XD. The Vita is fine but the high memory price is definitly an issue. Also if you are run out of battery or you turn off the device you need to run Henkaku again which requires an internet connection (for some reason the offline bubble doesnt work for me any longer)

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the shield is that it is not really portable. I have all of them and GPD Win is my favourite since the quantity of games that you can play with it is just ridiculous. But I spent more time with the GPD XD. The Vita is fine but the high memory price is definitly an issue. Also if you are run out of battery or you turn off the device you need to run Henkaku again which requires an internet connection (for some reason the offline bubble doesnt work for me any longer)
goto your offline installer press 0 to uninstall close it .. reopen and press X to install it will work !

XC-3730C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't care how portable a device is. My Vita got a lot larger after I got the L2/R2 grip, and I have a 64gb card (there are a few different microSD adapters in the works).

Here's how I plan to use all 3 portables:

Vita - Vita, PSP, PSX
3DS - 3DS, DS, DSiware
Shield Portable - Android, Emulators

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for DC Games, get reicast. You will have to go to the Website to get the latest Dev Builds since it has not been Updated in quite some time. However it seems to be picky on which File Extension is being used. GDI Images work great. I have found that CDI Images are touchy.
damm all mine are CDI but work great but some games i tried just would not load .. so im going to checkout some GDI games next thanks for the info

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very few CDI games work as good as GDI, but GDI is the best format.
There is a GDI2CHD Converter. The CHD Converted Games seem to work good, and it Compresses the Size. Depending on the GDI Game, it could be as low as 243MB. Mortal Kombat Gold (USA) seems to be 799MB though. But so far, so good.
I tested the CHD Images on my GPD XD with Reicast and they worked.
Anyone know if there is a way to Convert a CDI Image to GDI or CHD? Cant get ARMax or CodeBreaker to work.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a GDI2CHD Converter. The CHD Converted Games seem to work good, and it Compresses the Size. Depending on the GDI Game, it could be as low as 243MB. Mortal Kombat Gold (USA) seems to be 799MB though. But so far, so good.
I tested the CHD Images on my GPD XD with Reicast and they worked.
Anyone know if there is a way to Convert a CDI Image to GDI or CHD? Cant get ARMax or CodeBreaker to work.
hmmm thats interesting news if i could shrink a few i will !!! most games seem to be around 700mb or more im going to check this out 100% thanks

Reactions: Smoker1

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem. Didnt know about it till I did a Search because I did not know about the CHDs. Then I saw a GDI2CHD and I decided to test it out. Gave my GPD XD more room on the MicroSD :D
well i tried my 1st GDI .. hidden and dangerous ,,.. no joy ,, but it did not work in CDI either .. But i tried MSR Street Racer .. & it worked im not sure if im playing mind games with myself again but it seemed a bit smoother ... shame its not full screen 4.3 thats what i was hoping ..

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
In response to Andremario81, only consider anything from GPD if you do the research first. From Experience (I have the XD and Win), there are plenty of flaws in both, but... when it runs fine, it runs great provided you do the necessary adjustments, patches, bios tweaks (for win) and use custom rom for XD (Legacy rom)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps