SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3G Vita is also a cell phone right?

May I dream with Vitandroid?
PSPhone will forever be replaced...with a touch screen!!! It's still more cost-effective than a smartphone. Actually, a homebrew like that would make the Vita the successor to the Sony Xperia Play.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

PSPhone will forever be replaced...with a touch screen!!! It's still more cost-effective than a smartphone. Actually, a homebrew like that would make the Vita the successor to the Sony Xperia Play.
Common misconception. a 3G Modem does not equal "a phone" - the fact that a SIM card goes in doesn't necessarily mean that you can make calls from it. The card and the module is merely used to connect to access points, similarily to their PC equivalents.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Common misconception. a 3G Modem does not equal "a phone" - the fact that a SIM card goes in doesn't necessarily mean that you can make calls from it. The card and the module is merely used to connect to access points, similarily to their PC equivalents.
The Vita has Skype, so in essence, you can already make calls from it. You just need Skype credit and Wifi. The PSP can even do it. (except the 1st Gen).

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita has Skype, so in essence, you can already make calls from it. You just need Skype credit and Wifi. The PSP can even do it. (except the 1st Gen).
I'm well-aware of the capabilities of Skype, but in context they meant the 3G module, not Skype. ;)

Okay.

Off-topic, but I was thinking the 3g/4g had little to do with voice calling, and had much more to do with data. The Vita doesn't have the regular cellular radios needed, unlike say an android phone. Even most tablets have to do VoIP rather than straight calls.

Now, a Vita/Xperia hybrid might not be a bad idea down the road, but I doubt it would run Android. Android's too buggy and fragmented to be stable enough to power both the phone and the Vita software. Sony might have to make a dialer/phonebook program that runs with the SDK, and I don't know if they'd make much profit off of it.

Plus, you'd probably be locked to AT&T in the US, which is a definite negative.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Off-topic, but I was thinking the 3g/4g had little to do with voice calling, and had much more to do with data. The Vita doesn't have the regular cellular radios needed, unlike say an android phone. Even most tablets have to do VoIP rather than straight calls.

Now, a Vita/Xperia hybrid might not be a bad idea down the road, but I doubt it would run Android. Android's too buggy and fragmented to be stable enough to power both the phone and the Vita software. Sony might have to make a dialer/phonebook program that runs with the SDK, and I don't know if they'd make much profit off of it.

Plus, you'd probably be locked to AT&T in the US, which is a definite negative.
Yyyyep on all points. The only way to properly "call" people with the Vita is via VoIP, and to use Android efficiently, it would have to dual-boot - it's easier for Sony to create their own phone plug-in if they ever release a PhoneIta with proper phone capabilities.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
If I were to make a handheld, I would put Sony in charge of security because the Vita is completely unhacka- oh.
Still, this is A Good Thing (tm).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Video is private.... :(
It was made private to protect those involved in it's creation (which leads me to think it was never really meant to be released in the first place)
If you, or anybody else, just "happens" to have a copy of the video, I'd appreciate it. I watched some stills of it that were still accessible and... oh my, it looks quite delicious.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Video is private.... :(
It was made private to protect those involved in it's creation (which leads me to think it was never really meant to be released in the first place)
If you, or anybody else, just "happens" to have a copy of the video, I'd appreciate it. I watched some stills of it that were still accessible and... oh my, it looks quite delicious.
Sadly, no. I didn't even get a chance to watch it before it was made private.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)