Hacking Vita Downgrade?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Let me get into this:

"Those who automatically received the 3.61 update can delete it and manually downgrade back to 3.60"

The writter of that article can't express his/her ideas properly nor clearly. So then...

The automatic update can be received when the PS Vita is configured to download automatically any update package. The point here is a mis-interpretation of the concept of an update. You are not updating your Vita's firmware just by downloading the update package, nor downgrading the Vita just by opting out of such update and deleting the update package.
As long as you don't apply such update your Vita will stay on the firmware version it was before the update package was downloaded.

We need to learn to interpret and understand what we're reading, as much as learn to express our ideas properly when writing.

Hope I did it properly here.

coolguy8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to hold onto my 3.60 FW Vita forever as it seems a downgrade based in software will never happen.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am going to hold onto my 3.60 FW Vita forever as it seems a downgrade based in software will never happen.

Since we have Henkaku on 3.60, nobody AFAIK is searching for a downgrade method nor an exploit for any firmware version >3.60.

But can't say if this is bad or not. i've got my Vita on 3.60, and it will stay on it forever, just like yours.

Gnarmagon

Noob <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's bad if the developpers aren't interested in a develop a exploit >3.60 I don't see why this would be good.
Dude think about it:

Why do you need CFW on 3.67 ?

For Online Play ? Most likely you will get banned XD
For new Games ? What new games ?, I mean most of them are on other consoles too.....

There will be a Developer in the future who cracks the system completely like for example the Nintendo DS(i) that gets the first real exploit now.

The problem is that Sony did a lot of things right in terms of security:
- ASLR to prevent savegame exploits, most of the code is proprietary so Devs can't just adapt some bugs from for example Bugzilla, the PSVita has a very small attack surface...(except the 2k Syscalls XD) (memory card for example is proprietary -> no HBL loading from SDCard like on the 3DS),
- Hardmods on the PSVita are impossible without a microscope and really good soldering skills (missing testpoints for Nand Dumping)
- and f00d is very difficult to reach because you can comunicate with f00d only via Secure Kernel so you have to find: a userland exploit, a non secure kernel exploit, a secure kernel exploit(, a boot exploit) and a f00d exploit to completely hack the system (that's the knowledge from the Wiki atm).

Well, I have still hope that someone will accept the challenge and crack it open someday (or I will do it when I have enough knowledge to try something like this XD)

For everyone intrested in knowing more about the PSVita, I can really recommend yifanlu's blog and this post: https://yifan.lu/2016/12/31/state-of-the-vita-2016/
There are 2 Wikis avaible right now, https://www.vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page (more focussed on overall PSVita) and
https://wiki.henkaku.xyz/vita/index.php?title=Main_Page&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop (good resource for the internals of the PSVita, Kernel, Syscalls, Boot Process....)

I apologize for my typos ;)
Take it with a grain of salt, I may have some false knowledge (for example I am not sure if something like enso is needed for exploiting f00d, but I think it's needed...)

Last edited by Gnarmagon, , Reason: better layout
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Dude think about it:

For new Games ? What new games ?, I mean most of them are on other consoles too.....

There will be a Developer in the future who cracks the system completely like for example the Nintendo DS(i) that gets the first real exploit now.

The problem is that Sony did a lot of things right in terms of security:
- ASLR to prevent savegame exploits, most of the code is proprietary so Devs can't just adapt some bugs from for example Bugzilla, the PSVita has a very small attack surface...(except the 2k Syscalls XD) (memory card for example is proprietary -> no HBL loading from SDCard like on the 3DS),
- Hardmods on the PSVita are impossible without a microscope and really good soldering skills (missing testpoints for Nand Dumping)
- and f00d is very difficult to reach because you can comunicate with f00d only via Secure Kernel so you have to find: a userland exploit, a non secure kernel exploit, a secure kernel exploit(, a boot exploit) and a f00d exploit to completely hack the system (that's the knowledge from the Wiki atm).

Well, I have still hope that someone will accept the challenge and crack it open someday (or I will do it when I have enough knowledge to try something like this XD)

For everyone intrested in knowing more about the PSVita, I can really recommend yifanlu's blog and this post: https://yifan.lu/2016/12/31/state-of-the-vita-2016/
There are 2 Wikis avaible right now, https://www.vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page (more focussed on overall PSVita) and
https://wiki.henkaku.xyz/vita/index.php?title=Main_Page&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop (good resource for the internals of the PSVita, Kernel, Syscalls, Boot Process....)

I apologize for my typos ;)
Take it with a grain of salt, I may have some false knowledge (for example I am not sure if something like enso is needed for exploiting f00d, but I think it's needed...)
currently pinouts are known
currently we can communicate with f00d but no exploit
currently the vita is still active
most of the games I want are 3.61+ (mainly 3.65)
but some private userland exploits exist 3.61+
but good info

Reactions: RY0M43CH1Z3N

Gnarmagon

Noob <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
currently pinouts are known
currently we can communicate with f00d but no exploit
currently the vita is still active
most of the games I want are 3.61+ (mainly 3.65)
but some private userland exploits exist 3.61+
but good info
what do you mean by the vita is still active ?
would you mind sharing some example games ? (for me it's just shantae tbh. but I played that game on my Switch so nvm.)

RY0M43CH1Z3N

Touching things and improving your world
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain

Games, DLCs, updates that requires 3.67?

would you mind sharing some example games ?

This is fake, i use Resident Evil Revelation 2 with the online missions and i don't get banned never.
The new games: https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/wiki/games/releases/dates/fullna
I don't want to buy another console to play the same game lol

what do you mean by the vita is still active ?

Some guys still developping, reversing and create new homebrews.

Reactions: Deleted User

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's bad if the developpers aren't interested in a develop a exploit >3.60 I don't see why this would be good.

My point on this is more into the fact that finally, after all the previous intents (from years ago) on getting a fully working exploit, we got Henkaku, which wide opened the Vita for homebrew development. And since we have it, homebrew development on the Vita has vastly increased and we can enjoy an -almost- totally free 3.60 Vita as final users.

I know this lets Vita's on >3.60 firmware version out of this "freedom", but it would be worse not to have Henkaku at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That counts as a software update :tpi: