Video2DreamcastDisc - Convert Any File For Playback On The Sega Dreamcast

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How big may the CD images be with this tool and for the Dreamcast?

On DVD players I hit a brick wall when surpassing 450000 sectors (BCD address 99:59.74) with an SVCD.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: SylverReZ

alexfree

OP
Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
How big may the CD images be with this tool and for the Dreamcast?

On DVD players I hit a brick wall when surpassing 360000 sectors with an SVCD.

As big as the CD-R can be overburned successfully so like 720MB maybe for a 700MB 80 min disc. There are some 100min CD-Rs that work with the Dreamcast though, never tried it:

The video track bitrate (not including audio) is variable up to 3200kilobits per second.

Last edited by alexfree,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As big as the CD-R can be overburned successfully so like 720MB maybe for a 700MB 80 min disc. There are some 100min CD-Rs that work with the Dreamcast though, never tried it:
So no limit? My 99/100min CD-R actually go to 101min, but I was specifically thinking of going beyond this with GigaRec. Unfortunately it doesn't perform well on oversized CD-R, but level 1.2 works okay -- going to about 1050MB in Mode 1 for 100min/870MB CD-R.

To be honest I didn't even try if the Dreamcast is compatible with GigaRec (theoretically it should as the original GDs use a very similar approach of pushing the limits of the dated CD technology) .

1-09gb-png.322529

The video track bitrate (not including audio) is variable up to 3200kilobits per second.
That is insanely high for that resolution and compared to standard VCD!
Haven't used the Dreamcast in years. Time to take it out of it's sleep and hope it still works.

alexfree

OP
Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
So no limit? My 99/100min CD-R actually go to 101min, but I was specifically thinking of going beyond this with GigaRec. Unfortunately it doesn't perform well on oversized CD-R, but level 1.2 works okay -- going to about 1050MB in Mode 1 for 100min/870MB CD-R.

To be honest I didn't even try if the Dreamcast is compatible with GigaRec (theoretically it should as the original GDs use a very similar approach of pushing the limits of the dated CD technology) .

1-09gb-png.322529

That is insanely high for that resolution and compared to standard VCD!
Haven't used the Dreamcast in years. Time to take it out of it's sleep and hope it still works.

No limit indeed. I forget all of the specs but I think the Dreamcast has an 8x CD read speed so it can do 3600 kilobits a second. 384 kilobits a second stereo audio takes up some of that, so 3200 kilobits a second is basically the max for the video track (I really need to update the program to mention this since I did my math wrong before).

The playback is incredibly high quality compared to every other homebrew media player I tried back then. I really wanted to play video on my Dreamcast when I bought it and never found a program that didn’t stutter and crash under every kind of setting and codec I tried anyways… I got sick of this and discovered the native Dreamcast FMV format sofdec, which is like a weird proprietary MPEG-1 like thing.

Back in the hey day of the Dreamcast people were releasing 100min cdi files so it was for sure compatible with the media of the day. I do know tho that some modern 100min media (of course) doesn’t work with the Dreamcast. I have never tried any of this though, just standard 80 min media.

There’s nothing like watching movies and anime on a Dreamcast, looks great on my 4k 50’ tv from my bed anyways.

Last edited by alexfree,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No limit indeed. I forget all of the specs but I think the Dreamcast has an 8x CD read speed so it can do 3600 kilobits a second. 384 kilobits a second stereo audio takes up some of that, so 3200 kilobits a second is basically the max for the video track (I really need to update the program to mention this since I did my math wrong before).
According to the Wikipedia, the Dreamcast drive is 12x, but it does not mention if CLV or cheating wie ith "up to" CAV.
1x being 150KB/s (1200kBit/s) [or 176KB/s Mode 2], there should be no practical limit in data rate.

On the other side, the standard VCD uses 1150kBit/s for video and 224kBit/s for audio resulting in approximately 1x speed for reading → same playing time as CDDA.

There’s nothing like watching movies and anime on a Dreamcast, looks great on my 4k 50’ tv from my bed anyways.
On anime the TV has an easy time upscaling in a very good looking way, but honestly life action movies look awful in that resolution, regardless of the bitrate. This is why I played around more with SVCD which can be – depending on the source material – surprisingly good for outdated MPEG-2 codec and very limited space on CD (compared to DVD).
DVD video on CD, sometimes called CDVD or Mini-DVD (not to be confused with 8cm DVDs: Mini in space) can reach full quality, but runs only about 15 minutes.
3000kBit/s and almost 400 for audio (would like to reduce the audio as well) is serious overkill. Fitting a complete normal movie of 90min on one CD is usually my goal with these kind of experiments.

My feeling tells me the Dreamcast could potentially be able to software decode MPEG-2 and an SVCD player could be in range. That would be awesome.

For the case Dreamcast doesn't like current MediaRange 100min CD-R, I got these (must be from about 2002):
99_min_cd-r-jpg.328547

Edit:

Strangely enough the results of just detecting GigaRec CD-R aren't consistent or convincing. Don't know what to make of this. Original GDs also use smaller pits (and work normally on my console -- the drive is still pretty good)

For the first test I converted a cartoon episode of 25minutes and burned it to CD-R (Rewritables are completely ignored by the Dreamcast). Looks nice, but the practical use is very limited. Fun thing to do.

alexfree

OP
Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
According to the Wikipedia, the Dreamcast drive is 12x, but it does not mention if CLV or cheating wie ith "up to" CAV.
1x being 150KB/s (1200kBit/s) [or 176KB/s Mode 2], there should be no practical limit in data rate.

On the other side, the standard VCD uses 1150kBit/s for video and 224kBit/s for audio resulting in approximately 1x speed for reading → same playing time as CDDA.

On anime the TV has an easy time upscaling in a very good looking way, but honestly life action movies look awful in that resolution, regardless of the bitrate. This is why I played around more with SVCD which can be – depending on the source material – surprisingly good for outdated MPEG-2 codec and very limited space on CD (compared to DVD).
DVD video on CD, sometimes called CDVD or Mini-DVD (not to be confused with 8cm DVDs: Mini in space) can reach full quality, but runs only about 15 minutes.
3000kBit/s and almost 400 for audio (would like to reduce the audio as well) is serious overkill. Fitting a complete normal movie of 90min on one CD is usually my goal with these kind of experiments.

My feeling tells me the Dreamcast could potentially be able to software decode MPEG-2 and an SVCD player could be in range. That would be awesome.

For the case Dreamcast doesn't like current MediaRange 100min CD-R, I got these (must be from about 2002):
99_min_cd-r-jpg.328547

Edit:

Strangely enough the results of just detecting GigaRec CD-R aren't consistent or convincing. Don't know what to make of this. Original GDs also use smaller pits (and work normally on my console -- the drive is still pretty good)

For the first test I converted a cartoon episode of 25minutes and burned it to CD-R (Rewritables are completely ignored by the Dreamcast). Looks nice, but the practical use is very limited. Fun thing to do.

I think that quote about 12x is about the GDROM read speed, the CD read speed is less I’m pretty sure it’s 8x. There’s some leaked Sega PowerPoint that says 3600kbits off CD is the max. I can pretty much prove it too by specifying 3300 or higher instead of 3200 which is the actual max for the video track.

Your absolutely right about the gdrom technology making the smaller pits in out of spec cdrs easier to read and more compatible overall compared to contemporary consoles.

The main limiting factor is ram I would think. The reason this all works so well is because this is the native FMV format for the console. There are VCD players for the Dreamcast but they don’t run at full speed every time I tried. All of the homebrew players just were not fast enough when I tried so I made this.

I watched a movie of 118 minutes runtime at 3200kbits over 5 discs the other day. I’m just determined I guess, looked really good to me anyways for what the console can handle.

It’s nice to be able to watch music videos and all that too.

The auto-split function in the program can help make it bearable for longer media though. I’m not sure if I’d even want to watch a movie on one disc because the bitrate would have to be so low. The disc swapping isn’t that bad it picks up exactly where you left off and it’s automatic.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://alex-free.github.io/video2dreamcastdisc/

I realized I never posted about this on here, been using this a lot recently to watch some movies and anime.
I've noticed this before you posted it here. Pretty cool project you have so far.
Post automatically merged:

99_min_cd-r-jpg.328547

Edit:

Always loved reading about your interests, Kleines. Truly never changes.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are VCD players for the Dreamcast but they don’t run at full speed every time I tried. All of the homebrew players just were not fast enough when I tried so I made this.
Found them yesterday. Standard VCD is very near to normal. Should be possible to optimize this. SVCD is unusable.
For a console with such a long active homebrew community I would have expected something to show up. Of course the interest nowadays – with HD video players everywhere – is low and limited to enthusiasts. Still disappointing to not have a fully working player.

I’m not sure if I’d even want to watch a movie on one disc because the bitrate would have to be so low.
Depends on the source material. VBR over CBR can make a huge difference. Snoopy Come Home on SVCD with 81 minutes is acceptable (if it wouldn't crash at the magic position). Size of the original DVD (one audio track and the video) is about 3.5GB while my SVCD (two-pass VBR encoding) is a little below 1.1GB.

@Alexander1970 [Yes, the audio track contains a very good and fitting "Möööp!" at this ↓↓↓ point ↓↓↓]

Notice the compression artifacts around Sally's eye and inside her fingers.
The books in the background are more blurred compared to the original due to reduced horizontal resolution.
Further reduction could increase visible quality again on common DVD players. They have a hard time scaling 480*480(NTSC) or 480*576(PAL), but can more easily process non-standard SVCD with 352*480 or 352*576)
SVCD.png

Same picture from original DVD
DVD.png

alexfree

OP
Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Made some serious updates to this lately: https://alex-free.github.io/video2dreamcastdisc/

v1.1.4 Changes:
  • New option 5 allows setting the burn speed as a saved config file setting. The default is 1 (slowest speed your drive supports will be used).
  • New option 6 allows setting the video bitrate as a saved config file setting. The default is 2800 (highest recommended value).
  • Fixed option 4 in the Linux version.

v1.1.3 Changes:
  • Fixed adxencd.exe crash when using media files with more then 2 audio tracks. Audio will always be stereo (mono input will be 'converted' to stereo, really dual mono)
  • Improved video quality to max by setting -qscale 0.
  • Fixed MKV files not being split properly by option 4 by adding MKVMerge. This makes the Windows version require Windows 10 or later however so that MKVMerge works.
  • Fixed a relative path as argument 1 not working on Linux.
  • Removed video bitrate range limit, allowing end users to experiment.
  • Changed recommended video bitrate range to 1000-2800 kilobits per second.
v1.1.2 Changes:
  • Added portable Linux build.
  • Refactored code and new build system.
  • Updated FFmpeg to 2023-08-07-git-d295b6b693 ffmpeg-git-full, pre-built static binaries from https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds.
  • New docs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum