Unable to get burned games to work on Dreamcast

EskiM0JOJ0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently imported a Japanese Dreamcast (model HKT-3000), and after multiple burned discs none have worked. I can't even get Utopia boot to load (V1.1 or 1.2), my dc either goes to the music screen or says "please insert a disc". I've never attempted burning before and am following tutorials like this for dummies like myself, using imgburn and some blank CD-Rs lying around, with the .cdi format as required. I've also tried using different disc burners with no change.

After troubleshooting online, it seems like there are so many failure points. Worst case scenario could be my GDROM laser is dead. I tried cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol as suggested here, but that didn't make a difference. I've also read that the brand of discs I'm using, "Memorex", are notoriously bad and failure prone, especially given mine were manufactured in the early 2000s. Maybe it's a reigion-lock issue?

Relevant images:

IMG_7184.JPG
IMG_7183.JPG

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently imported a Japanese Dreamcast (model HKT-3000), and after multiple burned discs none have worked. I can't even get Utopia boot to load (V1.1 or 1.2), my dc either goes to the music screen or says "please insert a disc". I've never attempted burning before and am following tutorials like this for dummies like myself, using imgburn and some blank CD-Rs lying around, with the .cdi format as required. I've also tried using different disc burners with no change.

After troubleshooting online, it seems like there are so many failure points. Worst case scenario could be my GDROM laser is dead. I tried cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol as suggested here, but that didn't make a difference. I've also read that the brand of discs I'm using, "Memorex", are notoriously bad and failure prone, especially given mine were manufactured in the early 2000s. Maybe it's a reigion-lock issue?

Relevant images:

View attachment 374583View attachment 374584
Where is the other sticker?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Use high quality media and not Memorex CD-Rs, instead use Verbatim AZO or Taiyo Yuden (now CMC) media. Is your Dreamcast compatible with MIL-CD, there is usually a number on the sticker that indicates the console revision.

EskiM0JOJ0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just cracked my dreamcast open, I think I have a VA2 : (
it didn’t have a “not milCD compatible” sticker like other Japanese consoles so I assumed it was compatible.
7D923679-C093-4AB2-959A-205E01E8DC23.jpeg
2DD52234-0A6C-4486-B535-BDF8EB02109F.jpeg

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just cracked my dreamcast open, I think I have a VA2 : (
it didn’t have a “not milCD compatible” sticker like other Japanese consoles so I assumed it was compatible.
View attachment 374607View attachment 374608
Then your only option would be to install a region free BIOS chip, it involves changing out the BIOS chip on the motherboard. I would only do this if you're experienced at soldering.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Dreamcast definitely doesn't support MIL-CDs since it was manufactured in 2001.

Japanese consoles are harder to tell from the outside, but the third number in the serial number sticker is actually a year of manufacture. 8 means 1998, 9 means 1999, 0 means 2000, and 1 means 2001. No 2001 models are known to be MIL-CD compatible, and most of the 2000s ones are compatible. All of the 1998 and 1999 ones are compatible.
https://dreamcast.wiki/MIL-CD_compatibility

Use high quality media and not Memorex CD-Rs, instead use Verbatim AZO or Taiyo Yuden (now CMC) media. Is your Dreamcast compatible with MIL-CD, there is usually a number on the sticker that indicates the console revision.
Hard disagree. Memorex works fine.

If they were some really questionable CDs bought from AliExpress, that'd be a different story.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hard disagree. Memorex works fine.

If they were some really questionable CDs bought from AliExpress, that'd be a different story.
Memorex has been really poor from my experience, and many other people too.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not to mention, if the CD-Rs were manufactured in the early 2000's, CD rot might also be an issue. They are 20 years old, already. Just a few more years of life expectancy. :sad:

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not to mention, if the CD-Rs were manufactured in the early 2000's, CD rot might also be an issue. They are 20 years old, already. Just a few more years of life expectancy. :sad:
Expect most disc based consoles to die more than CD-Rs.

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol