Using NAND-AID to repair a broken eMMC (fix 160-0103 system memory error)

Warning

This tutorial is only for advanced users and has a serious risk of bricking the console. Make sure you read it completely before executing any step and that you understand every step and its implications.

While not strictly required, it is still recommended to install ISFShax, before soldering NAND-AID. In case something goes wrong, this then gives more options to troubleshoot the problem.

What is this for?

If you are encountering Error Code 160-0103 "There is a Problem with the system memory" or your Wii U is freezing at bootup it is likely that the eMMC Chip is failing.
This tutorial goes into fixing this Error 160-0103, by cloning your MLC to a SD card and fixing corruptions while doing so. This can become useful if the MLC (eMMC) chip is hardware damaged.

Please note: There are other possible causes for the 160-0103 error (like a CBHC brick).
Also we found other ways to fix this problem. To find the the procedure which is right for you follow the Ultimate Wii U Troubleshooting Guide
In short the other options are:

1690709917882.png

NOTE: In case you can't boot the recovery menu anymore, there is the option of dumping the eMMC using a Cardreader connected to the big pads on the NAND-AID. Else you can use defuse to rebuild a completely fresh MLC instead, so head over to https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-upgrading-rebuilding-wii-u-internal-memory-mlc.636309/

NOTE²: In case you get a purple LED but no screen output you might still be able to use the recovery menu blindly. TODO: Give exact steps for this.

Prerequisites

Use this fork of the recovery menu.
Use this fork of wupclient.

1692774079735.png

Before beginning use the recovery menu to dump the syslogs, then search all the .log files for MEDIA ERROR and DATA CORRUPTION.

Only errors concerning the dev:mlc01 are relevant. Here the example for such an error:
Code:
10:48:16:325: FSA: ### MEDIA ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-2228230, cmd:11, path:(null)
Errors concerning the optical disc drive (dev:odd01) can be ignored. Here is such an example, that can be ignored:
Code:
10:48:16:325: FSA: ### MEDIA ERROR ###, dev:odd01, err:-2228230, cmd:11, path:(null)

A media error on mlc01 means the eMMC itself noticed it can no longer retrieve the data error free and indicates a failure of the eMMC.

In case you find a MEDIA ERROR show us the log file, please, so we can add it to https://hackmd.io/d12Fq9g-QlCjN2HJp7Yvew. It's fine to DM the log to @SDIO, @Lazr1026 or me in case you're concerned about the serial number.

In case you find DATA CORRUPTION only this might or might not be a damaged eMMC. It's recommended to show us the logs, too, so we can analyze them more deep. DATA CORRUPTION means the file system of the Wii U detected that a file is corrupted. That could be caused by either a bad eMMC chip or if a write got interrupted (e. g. power loss during save)

Required Knowledge

WARNING: Before you begin, doing anything to mlc/emmc, you need to understand a few core concepts. Make sure to read carfully and be aware of the implications, or you can seriously mess things up, loosing all data. If that happens you need defuse as descibed here.

The Wii U has not just one internal storage, but it has 3:
  • SLCCMPT: Holds all the vWii stuff, the system, the saves, the WiiWare tiles, we don't care for it in this tutorial.
  • MLC: Is where all your userdata goes, like games, saves, your accounts and it also hold the system applications. It's also called eMMC and what this tutorial is about.
  • SLC: Holds the second stage bootloader (boot1), the core Operating Systems (IOSU and CafeOS), the tickets for the installed titles (eShop and system apps), and some config files. Besides that it holds a file "scfm.img".
    This file is used as a block level write cache for the MLC. This means part of the MLC state resides in this file. They need always to be treated as one, if you restore one, you need also to restore the other. If they don't match, because you restored an older version of the mlc for example, the filesystem on top of them will become inconsistent and there will be no way of fixing that. You would either have to restore an older backup of both the SLC and the MLC or you would need to format the MLC. Both are things we try to avoid here.
You always have to carry the current state of the MLC forward.

What you can do: Read the dying eMMC to an Image, then clone it to a SD card and then use the SD card in place of the eMMC, without turning the console on in between.
You could then also read back the state of the current state of the SD card and flash it back to the eMMC and then run off the eMMC again. But only if you don't turn on the Wii U between the read and the swap.

What you can not do: Read the eMMC to an image, then use the console and then replace the eMMC by an SD card with that older image. Because then the SD won't have the current state.
You also can't flash an Image to the SD, use it for a while and then flash the image back a second time.

Where to get a NAND-AID from?

It's always a good idea to ask if someone near you has one. They might be willing to sell it for cheap.
Else here are some available for 3 € : https://gbatemp.net/threads/637225/

If that doesn't work for you you can also go to some PCB manufacturer like https://jlcpcb.com and let them do the printing. This is around $30 for 5 PCBs, so you could resell 4 to other users. The gerber file is available here and the important options are a thickness of 0.6 mm and castellated holes.

Dumping old MLC

Now that you confirmed it's really a hardware damaged MLC it's time to replace and fix it:
  1. Use the recovery menu to dump OTP + SEEPROM.

2. Dump MLC + SLC from within the recovery menu. Turn your Wii U off by pulling the power cable and don't turn it back on until you replaced the eMMC with the SD card.
    1690709969015.png

Note: Errors while dumping SLC are harmless and I would be surprised if you get no errors on MLC as it's hardware damages after all.

3. Merge the dump on the PC, for Windows use copy /b mlc.bin.part01 + mlc.bin.part02 + (...) + mlc.bin.part15 mlc.bin. For linux or mac os x use cat mlc.bin.part* > mlc.bin
  4. Write the MLC dump onto a SD card with the same size of your MLC. So for a 8 GB unit use a 8 GB card and for a 32 GB console use a 32GB card (64GB won't work). 8 GB units can also use 16GB cards, but only 8GB will be usable.
    We currently recommend SanDisk Max Endurance cards for this but other cards have been used, too. Choice is yours.
    On Windows you can use Win32DiskImager or Etcher to write the mlc.bin to the SD card.
    On Linux you can use: dd if=mlc.bin of=/dev/XXX bs=1M status=progress Replace XXX with the name of the block device if the sdcard. You can use lsblk to figure out the name. Also make sure the sd card isn't mounted. Optionally to improve the performance, you can try to run blkdiscard -f first (before the dd) on the SD and then add the conv=sparse option to the dd command.
Soldering NAND-AID

1. Cut the CLK line (R26) - using a scalpel or an x-acto knife - to disable the eMMC.
    1690709997093.png

2. Install the NAND-AID and insert the SD. For soldering the NAND-AID it's recommend to first solder the big GND VIA. Since v3.0 you'll see a uncovered VIA on the Wii Us motherboard through this GND hole. This VIA is GND, too, so it doesn't matter if you short with it. Also since v3.0 there's a GND arm right nex to the hole in case you want to solder an alternative GND connection instead.

The board will suck lots of the heat away, so you need some patience and really need to make sure the solder properly flows. Check that the connections really holds, before you move on to the rest. To make soldering easier, you should first tin the GND pad on the board, so it has fresh solder and preheating the board also helps.

After GND solder the data connections to the pads/resistors on the board.

Add the wire for 3V3. Then add the SD slot and after that the capacitor. Also short the DSB pads, which shorts the eMMC CLK to GND. If you ever want to access the eMMC again, you need to open the DSB jumper again.
    1690710029169.png
    1690360176330.png

NOTE: On some old board revisions there's a capacitor in the way. It's save to just remove it.
    1690710054698.png

1690710070025.png

1690710084431.png

NOTE²: In case you're kind of a patchwork person you can also use a microSD to SD adapter and a capacitor instead of the NAND-AID. How to do this is out of scope of this tutorial through, so you are a bit on your own. See this post for more details: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-n...0103-system-memory-error.636361/post-10213230
    IMG_20230401_174716.jpg

1690359335313.png

TODO: Show adapter installed into a Wii U.
Repairing the corruption

1. Boot to the recovery menu again, then start the network and wupserver.
    1690710121340.png

TODO: Add how to add network config to the SD card

2. Run MLC Checker from recovery and inspect your mlcchecker.txt log.
    • For corrupted files inside of /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/ use wupservers delete_title() option, so for example delete_title("/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/1010ED00").
    • For corrupted files inside of /vol/storage_mlc01/sys/title/ use the Install WUP option to reinstall the corresponding system title. It's recommended to do this as a last step. Also some titles might not interrupt the boot, so you could even reinstall them with NUSspli as a very last step.
    • For corrupted folders: These can't be deleted but we have to move them. Even if moved, these still crash a factory reset (so don't do one) The only way to get rid of them is a reformat (see https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-upgrading-rebuilding-wii-u-internal-memory-mlc.636309/ ) TODO: Add how to move them while keeping quotas in mind. In case these folders where in /vol/storage_mlc01/sys/ the corresponding title needs to get reinstalled afterwards.
    • For corrupted files at other subfolders in /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/ it should be save to delete the files (with wupclients w.rm()], so for example w.rm("/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/save/00050000/1010ed00/user/80000002/userdata.dat"). This might damage savefiles and stuff through, so always make sure that you know what you're deleting and how to fix the result then (for example by deleting the games save from data management). In case you are unsure ask before doing something stupid!
    • For other corrupted files in /vol/storage_mlc01/sys/ ask us what to do!
    Lastly run flush_mlc() in wupclient.

3. Run the MLC Checker again to see if you missed anything.
Your Wii U should now work normally again.

Bonus: Work around factory reset crash loop

There are some rare cases where users tried a factory reset while having corrupted folders. This results in a crash loop.

To break out of this loop you first have to install NAND-AID and fix the corruptions as told above. After that use wupclients delete_title() function to remove all titles from /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/. Lastly select Set Initial Launch from the recovery menu and then select 0 - Initial Setup.

See also

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-i-fixed-160-0103-system-memory-error.626448/
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058305084/my-wii-u-it-met-with-a-terrible-fate
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-upgrading-rebuilding-wii-u-internal-memory-mlc.636309/

Thanks

@SDIO For figuring anything out, doing all of the hard puzzling and coding night and day to make this possible
@GaryOderNichts For the recovery menu
@Nandster For the pictures as well as for documenting the whole process over at boards.ie
@Voultar For the NAND-AID PCB design
@skawo For providing an earlier Tutorial, we take some passages from

Last edited by SDIO,

Hanrua23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Understood. Will power cycle, try again first. Console is closed. I reopen if needed.
Post automatically merged:

okay it worked this time. Not sure why first time it failed. Thanks

Hanrua23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using multimeter, what measure should I see from the 3V wire when measure from the NAND-AID 3V to the Wii U board where it soldered?

Nonstiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ugh. I've accidentally damaged one of the R27-R31 resistors whilst installing a NAND-AID. The pads are fine.

Are these critical? If so, any idea what the specs are?

Last edited by Nonstiq,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You only need those if you need to access the old eMMC. If you already have ISFShax installed or the dump, you don't need it. In case you need to, you can just bridge it with a solder blob. The original value is 20 or 30ohm, not sure anymore, but it is the same as the other resistors there

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The pads are fine.
You solder onto the pad facing the CPU, so away from the eMMC chip. So as SDIO said the resistors are not needed just for using the NAND AID. The only thing you loose with the resistor is the way to dump the eMMC (it can't talk to the Wii U CPU nor to the dumping pads of the NAND AID anymore) but I guess you dumped it (i.E. with UDPIH) before installing the NAND-AID?

But even if you need to dump now it's not lost: As SDIO said the value of the resistor doesn't matter, a zero ohm resistor aka a solder blob will do the job just fine.

Nonstiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You solder onto the pad facing the CPU, so away from the eMMC chip. So as SDIO said the resistors are not needed just for using the NAND AID. The only thing you loose with the resistor is the way to dump the eMMC (it can't talk to the Wii U CPU nor to the dumping pads of the NAND AID anymore) but I guess you dumped it (i.E. with UDPIH) before installing the NAND-AID?

But even if you need to dump now it's not lost: As SDIO said the value of the resistor doesn't matter, a zero ohm resistor aka a solder blob will do the job just fine.
Yes, I dumped the eMMC prior and ISFShax is also installed.

In this scenario, the eMMC is dumped, and its otherwise dying/dead... with (theoretically) all those resistors gone, do you need to cut the clock trace, and then ground it in order to fully bypass it with the NAND-AID?

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
with (theoretically) all those resistors gone, do you need to cut the clock trace, and then ground it in order to fully bypass it with the NAND-AID?
If at least the resistor on the CMD line is gone this should be enough and that's IIRC even tested by SDIO.
If just one of the DATA resistors is missing but CLK and CMD are still connected the eMMC might still try to send data on the other 3 DATA lines, interferring with the micro SD card.

//EDIT: So in other words you need one of the following scenarios to disable the eMMC / prevent it from interferring with the micro SD card:
- Cut the CLK line.
- Remove the CMD resistor.
- Remove all 4 DATA resistors (this has not been tested through, so it's highly theoretical, and maybe it would even be enough to just remove the DATA0 resistor).

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: Nonstiq

PowrUpGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Black WiiU 32GB that's stock and I get error code 160-0103 when launching most of my installed games. I have already tried to fix it via Pi Pico Title Restore method but that didnt work. The eMMC isnt dead but it's own it's way I guess. My goal is to backup all my data(Saves, Games, Profiles, vWii content etc), uncorrupt my eMMC data, and restore the fixed data along with my saves, games, profile, vWii etc to a 64GB High Endurance SD Card via Nand-Aid. So far it seems like I should be following a combination of the guides below to accomplish this, but in what order I'm not clear on. I'm new here so I'm not able to link the guides.

How to setup ISFSHax
Upgrading/Rebuilding Wii U Internal Memory
Using Nand-Aid to Repair Broken eMMC (fix 160-0103)

A few things I need clarity on. This guide mentions to install ISFSHax first.
In the ISFSHax guide do I need to have Tiramisu or Aroma installed beforehand? If so, which is best to install? Can I remove it later?
Do I need to only get ISFSHax installed then come back to this Nand-Aid guide or do I need to complete that guide and have it setup in it's entirety?

Last edited by PowrUpGaming,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You install ISFShax first. The guide has 3 options, you use the browser method.
Once ISFShax is installed, you replace the eMMC with the NAND AID.
Then you are going to rebuild the MLC there

PowrUpGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You install ISFShax first. The guide has 3 options, you use the browser method.
Once ISFShax is installed, you replace the eMMC with the NAND AID.
Then you are going to rebuild the MLC there
I'm at the step to Backup Save Game, and it failed to backup to my USB storage as I expected. It says to" Dump MLC option in the Recovery. You can extract your data from there using wfs-extract." but I don't see that option in minute. How do I access recovery? Again, I'm trying to preserve my games, saves, and the rest of my data while upgrading to a 64GB SD Card

If I continue ahead to the Rebuilding MLC section, step 4 says to Erase MLC but I don't want to proceed because I want to make sure I'm repairing my data to preserve it. What do I need to do to repair my data, then continue to upgrade to 64GB SD Card?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can't you just use SaveMii?

To launch the recovery, you have to boot from minute and then plug in the pico at the right time

PowrUpGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you just use SaveMii?

To launch the recovery, you have to boot from minute and then plug in the pico at the right time
I'm unfamiliar with WiiU, so bear with me; this is all new, and I don't own the console I'm working on. From my understanding, SaveMii requires me to install Tiramisu/Aroma to install the app, and it only provides a backup of your Save games, correct? I don't have a problem following a guide to finish that part. But I'm trying to preserve more than just saves. I'm attempting to preserve the installed games, vWii data, profiles, etc., while migrating the repaired data to a 64GB eMMC replacement via Nand-Aid; that's what I need clarity on.

Ok. So, referring to the "Using NAND-AID to repair a broken eMMC (fix 160-0103 system memory error)" Guide,
I boot Recovery, dump Syslogs to verify media error or data corruption, dump OTP+SEEPROM, Dump MLC + SLC, merge the MLC, then write to an SD Card of the Same size (32GB), solder Nand-Aid, Run MLC-Checker from Recovery and fix any errors. This would repair any corruption while preserving all my data on a 32GB SD card, correct?

I can do all that, but how will I migrate that now repaired data on the 32GB SD Nand-Aid, such as vWii, installed Games, etc., to a 64GB SD eMMC replacement via Nand-Aid?

Or am I misunderstanding how this works? Is it clone and repair to the same size device to preserve your data or upgrade to bigger storage but lose your data?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm unfamiliar with WiiU, so bear with me; this is all new, and I don't own the console I'm working on. From my understanding, SaveMii requires me to install Tiramisu/Aroma to install the app, and it only provides a backup of your Save games, correct?
Yes, but installing Aroma is just putting some files on the SD and adding the payloader plugin to the ios_plugins folder.

I don't have a problem following a guide to finish that part. But I'm trying to preserve more than just saves. I'm attempting to preserve the installed games, vWii data, profiles, etc., while migrating the repaired data to a 64GB eMMC replacement via Nand-Aid; that's what I need clarity on.
The games can just be reinsalled from the eShop, as long as he is logged in to the NNID. You can even copy the NNID login by just copying the account.dat file (Using FTP). How you can transfer the NNID is described here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-...-soldering-using-rednand-with-isfshax.642268/ :
If you lost the password to your NNID and can't recover it because the email doesn't exist anymore, you can transfer it. This is only a last resort option. If you still have the email address, it would be better to use the "Forgot Password" option now, as you won't have it on the new system.
There is also the option to use a password reset option on the PC. For that you need to create a Nintendo Account and then link the NNID to it. When linking it will ask for the password and give a reset option using the email.

Keep in mind this transfer only works on the same console and only if you don't do a Factory Reset.
To transfer the NNID It's enough to copy the account.dat file over.
You can use ftpiiu everywhere to save it to the PC for now. Just copy the whole /storage_mlc/usr/save/system/act/ folder to the PC. In that folder you find one subfolder for each user and in that subfolder you find an account.dat (it's a plain text file, you can open it with notepad). The folders are numbered in the order the users were created.

On the new rebuild mlc the numbering will start again with 80000001. If the user with the NNID had a larger number just create new users on the new system until you reach that number. Then you can copy the account.dat back and reboot.
After that you should be able to access the eShop and download the games again.

Ok. So, referring to the "Using NAND-AID to repair a broken eMMC (fix 160-0103 system memory error)" Guide,
I boot Recovery, dump Syslogs to verify media error or data corruption, dump OTP+SEEPROM, Dump MLC + SLC, merge the MLC, then write to an SD Card of the Same size (32GB), solder Nand-Aid, Run MLC-Checker from Recovery and fix any errors. This would repair any corruption while preserving all my data on a 32GB SD card, correct?
You can use that to dump the MLC to later extract saves and other user data from.
Fixing the errors would be a very manual process and there are kinds of corruptions you can't fix. Namely broken directories. So we usally don't do that anymore. It's better to rebuild a fresh clean one, reinstall the games and restore the saves.

I can do all that, but how will I migrate that now repaired data on the 32GB SD Nand-Aid, such as vWii, installed Games, etc., to a 64GB SD eMMC replacement via Nand-Aid?
You can't migrate a MLC to a 64GB card, you have to rebuild it there. Saves can be transfered with SaveMii, the NNID by copying the account.dat and games can simply be reinstalled.
If a owned game can no longer be downloaded from the eShop, the only way that worked for me to get it back was to download it with NUSspli, then manually deleting the Fake ticket from NUSspli so the eShop downloads the real ticket again.

Or am I misunderstanding how this works? Is it clone and repair to the same size device to preserve your data or upgrade to bigger storage but lose your data?
Yes, but you can transfer the data.

Also if you are doing this for a customer: make sure to recreate the update folder using UFDiine, so system updates work again.
After removing ISFShax, test that game updates work

Reactions: PowrUpGaming

ZeeVee

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello! I recently found, and followed a mix of guides here and wanted to express my gratitude for their contributors!

TL;DR. I still have 8 corrupt files. 3 sys titles get a hash error with JNUSTool, and 2 usr titles don't seem to exist anymore. Any help fixing the last ones much appreciated.

Hash errors occur on
00050010-10066000 = ECO process
00050030-10011209 = Error (OSv9)
00050030-100112ff = Error (OSv255)

D:\wiiu>java -jar JNUSTool.jar 00050030100112ff -dlEncrypted JNUSTool 0.3b - by Maschell No cached TMD found. Getting missing tmd from Server! No cached ticket found. getting missing ticket No cached FST (00000009) found. Getting FST from server. Downloading meta.xml h0 checksum failed real hash :994E510D31CF2B04EE73141417677B6700B0C38E expected hash:B955493C3AC523E3D316DEAF1E1A37E6B955493C

For the titles in usr I couldn't find, I suppose I can simply delete their directories without consequences? I could also just leave it as is, as I haven't seen any trouble with the console so far. The first one seems to be ECO data, the path with boss & killer is kinda interesting :).

ReadFile;/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/boss/00050010/10066000/user/common/data/killer/000027c6;-0003001B ReadFile;/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/save/00050030/10016200/user/80000001/psv.bin;-0003001B ReadFile;/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/save/00050030/1006d200/user/common/backup/nfp_backup.dat;-0003001B

Again, many thanks for the awesome guides and tools!

---

Longer story for those interested.

Last year I noticed that my Wii U's NAND already had degraded to a point where many hacks from the time didn't seem to work (Health & Safety, Browser, bluetooth).

The Raspberry Pi Pico + recovery menu offered what I needed. My NAND had a hilarious > 1000 corrupt files over 40814 bad sectors when I dumped it.

dump_errors.png

A quick cloning to a sturdy SD card, a little Frankenstein soldering, JNUSTool'ing the corrupt titles that I reinstalled with the recovery menu later, and I got a fully functional Wii U back.

frankennand.png

This makes me happier than I expected. I have bought and played every generation of Nintendo consoles (still have 'em all), and of the lot, the Wii U is one of my favorites. Knowing that it isn't bitrotting away anymore and playable is a relief.

Reactions: V10lator

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ReadFile;/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/boss/00050010/10066000/user/common/data/killer/000027c6;-0003001B ReadFile;/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/save/00050030/10016200/user/80000001/psv.bin;-0003001B ReadFile;/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/save/00050030/1006d200/user/common/backup/nfp_backup.dat;-0003001B
Should be save to delete these files as it's only save data (so should get regenerated) and the system can't read it currently anyway but works. Maybe reinstall the ECO process (simply use NUSspli to download and install it in a single run, this won't cause any hash issues) afterwards in case you're concerned but IIRC boss data is just sava data, too.

For the titles in usr I couldn't find, I suppose I can simply delete their directories without consequences?
Might be injects, do you see them in Wii U Data Management? Else what are the title IDs?

Reactions: ZeeVee

PowrUpGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games can just be reinsalled from the eShop, as long as he is logged in to the NNID. You can even copy the NNID login by just copying the account.dat file (Using FTP). How you can transfer the NNID is described here:
Oh okay. I thought the eShop was closed for WiiU, and you couldn't download any previously owned games. Since that's not the case, it makes this easier. I'll get copies of all the accounts on the console.

You can't migrate a MLC to a 64GB card, you have to rebuild it there. Saves can be transfered with SaveMii, the NNID by copying the account.dat and games can simply be reinstalled.
If a owned game can no longer be downloaded from the eShop, the only way that worked for me to get it back was to download it with NUSspli, then manually deleting the Fake ticket from NUSspli so the eShop downloads the real ticket again.
Ok got it.

Also if you are doing this for a customer: make sure to recreate the update folder using UFDiine, so system updates work again.
So basically, my process should be
1. Install Aroma and SaveMii to backup saves
2. Using ftpiiu everywhere, FTP all NNID's account.dat files following the link you provided above
3. Dump SEEPROM & OTP, and Dump SLC.RAW again
4. Continue where I left off on "How To: Upgrading / Rebuilding Wii U Internal Memory (MLC)" guide
5. After finishing the guide, transfer, NNID, profiles, saves, and reinstall games from eshop
6. Any previously owned games not available on eshop, download them via NUSspli, then manually delete the Fake ticket from NUSspli
7. Recreate the update folder using UFDiine, so system updates work again

Am I missing anything?
Post automatically merged:

Alright I fucked it up. I forgot that yesterday I had and put wafel_setup_mlc.ipx inside /wiiu/ios_plugins folder. After adding the Aroma setup files to my SD to get that and SaveMii installed. I inserted the SD, it booted to minute, and I chose "Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc)" so I can get back into the Wii U IOS. After it did everything I the console asked me to select my language to begin setup of the console. I turned it off.

Is there any possible way to get back to the previous state of the console?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh okay. I thought the eShop was closed for WiiU, and you couldn't download any previously owned games. Since that's not the case, it makes this easier. I'll get copies of all the accounts on the console.
No you just can't do purchases. And some thrid party games are not listed anymore, even if you bought them. But all games that are still listed can be reinstalled, if they are already bought. And even the delisted games are still on the Servers, that's why NUSspli can still download them. But it installs a fake ticket, even though you have a real one from the ticket and that fake ticket causes problems. That's why you need to remove it.
When you restore the accounts make sure they get the right number again (by creating enough account's so it gets up to the old number).

So basically, my process should be
1. Install Aroma and SaveMii to backup saves
Yes, make sure to also backup the "common" save data and the saves for every user.

2. Using ftpiiu everywhere, FTP all NNID's account.dat files following the link you provided above
Miis are btw stored in mlc:/user/save/00050010/1004AX00/user/common/db/FFL_ODB.dat. I would recommend you just grab the whole saves folder.

3. Dump SEEPROM & OTP, and Dump SLC.RAW again
You should already have them from the ISFShax setup. OTP doesn't change, SEEPROM only during factory reset and a new backup of the SLC doesn't add much value, execpt if you want to use the MLC that's currently on the eMMC again for some reason.

5. After finishing the guide, transfer, NNID, profiles, saves, and reinstall games from eshop
Before restoring a save make sure you launched the game at least once and let it create it's save data before you restore the old save data. Else quotas or permissions might be wrong.

6. Any previously owned games not available on eshop, download them via NUSspli, then manually delete the Fake ticket from NUSspli
Tickets are stored on the SLC in sys/rights/ticket/apps/. To find out which ticket belongs to which title you can use this tool: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-ticket-info.449485/ Make sure to not confuse the Update and DLCs with the base game.

Am I missing anything?
Yes, after removing ISFShax you definitely need to test if installs game updates work. If not you have to delete and recreate some folder.

Alright I fucked it up. I forgot that yesterday I had and put wafel_setup_mlc.ipx inside /wiiu/ios_plugins folder. After adding the Aroma setup files to my SD to get that and SaveMii installed. I inserted the SD, it booted to minute, and I chose "Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc)" so I can get back into the Wii U IOS. After it did everything I the console asked me to select my language to begin setup of the console. I turned it off.

Is there any possible way to get back to the previous state of the console?
Don't worry, just remove the setup now and go to through the initial setup. You have to reconfigure the Wifi and it wil create a new user, but all the old users with their data will still be there.

Also if you dumpted the MLC with the recovery everything can be extracted from there (accounts, saves, miis).

And you should recommend your customer to backup their games with wudd. The Discs will eventually fail. The Wii U has a problem with Disc rot.

Reactions: PowrUpGaming

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto