• Views 7,183,826
  • Replies 29,367
  • Likes 48

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cyan, you've truly done some amazing work with USB Loader GX. Thank you for all your effors and your activity in this thread, I'm sure a lot of people take that for granted.

I was interested in compiling USB Loader GX myself just to experiment with making Wii homebrew. I found this thread from 5 years ago and was wondering if the process would be the same now or if I'd need to do something else. Also, it seems like the source code link is dead.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Peninsula :
Thank you :)

About compiling there are few things to note :
1. I didn't try DevkitPPC rev28 ! I don't know if there are issues or warnings when compiling with that version. If you have any warning or errors, revert back to devkit PPC r27.

2. The process is basically the same.
- install devkitpro with latest version of devkitARM/PPC/libogc
- download the "portlib + libogc for devkitPPC r27" pack from sourceforge's repository.
- get the sources (with tortoise svn or any preferred svn client)

Before compiling the loader, you might have to compile LibWUPC (the library to support wiiU pro controller inside the loader).
- browse to the sources > libraries > libwupc > and type "make install", it should compile and copy the library inside your c:/devkitpro/libogc/ folders.
Now you can compile the loader.

I might upload my own libogc+portlibs folder, as they contain different new libraries too, but I'll test compiling with r28 first. that will provide a newer/updated version.

Reactions: Magnus87

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know r28 was available. I wonder if they fixed clock(), one of the most basic functions in the standard C library. :/

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Peninsula :
Thank you :)

About compiling there are few things to note :
1. I didn't try DevkitPPC rev28 ! I don't know if there are issues or warnings when compiling with that version. If you have any warning or errors, revert back to devkit PPC r27.

2. The process is basically the same.
- install devkitpro with latest version of devkitARM/PPC/libogc
- download the "portlib + libogc for devkitPPC r27" pack from sourceforge's repository.
- get the sources (with tortoise svn or any preferred svn client)

Before compiling the loader, you might have to compile LibWUPC (the library to support wiiU pro controller inside the loader).
- browse to the sources > libraries > libwupc > and type "make install", it should compile and copy the library inside your c:/devkitpro/libogc/ folders.
Now you can compile the loader.

I might upload my own libogc+portlibs folder, as they contain different new libraries too, but I'll test compiling with r28 first. that will provide a newer/updated version.

Thanks Cyan. I'll be sure to try this out.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
I seem to have completely forgotten how to access the per game settings to toggle cheats on/off all I can find is
global settings :unsure:

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
No worry I found it, you need to turn off quick launch in the global settings, kinda confusing for new users.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You mean "local multiplayer" options played through internet?
Player 2-4 which should be on the same screen can be controllers from another Wii ?
Well, maybe I should check his homebrew to see what it's really used for.

What is the latest revision again? O.o
Always in my signature.
or always on sourceforge's latest commit : https://sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/code/HEAD/tree/
it says 1261, but it's the commit used to make it downloadable from the internal update menu. it doesn't update the code, only put the r1260 .dol online.

I still haven't updated the first post..

Reactions: GR-DRACULA

pepobr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a seagate 5TB and the usbloader gx does not recognize the Wii games. this fully-formatted in NTFS (GPT), the loader recognizes the HD, shows no error at startup, but does not appear any game in the list. the games are in wbfs folder copied with the latest version of wii backup manager. I did some tests:

-GPT with two partitions (FAT32 and NTFS) - fatal error in the loader startup.
-GPT with one partition only (NTFS) - without errors at startup, it recognizes the HD, but the loader does not show the games.
-MBR works perfectly , but due to limitations only 2TB can be used.

someone could modify the loader to try to do my HD work properly?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
GPT is/should be already supported, and up to 8 partitions.
That's strange it works with only one partition but crashes with more.
Games should display, if they are in the correct folder AND in the correct format/filename.

Which filename and folder layout did you select in WiiBackupManager?
The best one is "Title [ID]" in subfolders named after gametdb database.

/wbfs/Title [ID6]/ID6.wbfs

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a seagate 5TB and the usbloader gx does not recognize the Wii games. this fully-formatted in NTFS (GPT), the loader recognizes the HD, shows no error at startup, but does not appear any game in the list. the games are in wbfs folder copied with the latest version of wii backup manager. I did some tests:

-GPT with two partitions (FAT32 and NTFS) - fatal error in the loader startup.
-GPT with one partition only (NTFS) - without errors at startup, it recognizes the HD, but the loader does not show the games.
-MBR works perfectly , but due to limitations only 2TB can be used.

someone could modify the loader to try to do my HD work properly?

I only use one FAT32 partition with MBR. It's looking like GPT is not the answer. MBR with partitions at least one byte less than 2GB should work.

Akiranon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, I'm not sure if this is a bug on my end.

Whenever I change the individual game setting (CoD: Black Ops in this case) that determines which IOS a game should use (for example: "Game IOS: 250"), the game doesn't load and it kicks me back to the Homebrew Channel instead. Changing the game's IOS setting to 250 works fine in WiiFlow, but doesn't work using the latest USB Loader GX r1260. My setup:
  • Wii 4.3E
  • USB Loader GX 3.0 r1260
  • IOS 249: base 56 (d2x-v10-beta53-alt)
  • IOS 250: base 57 (d2x-v10-beta53-alt)
Oh, and I should probably mention the fact that USB port 0 on my Wii is broken beyond repair, so I'm forced to use port 1. Maybe that also has something to do with it? I know it severely limits my choice of cIOS at least. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny