Hacking USB Loader GX won't run from USB

Glomgold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Everything is working fine from the SD card. I have managed to get everything on the USB HDD apart from the USB Loader GX folder, if I put it on the HDD it crashes the Homebrew channel and the GX channel doesn't load, it reverts back to the Wii menu.

For added compability the first partition on the USB HDD is FAT 32, 32KB. I just wanted to get rid of the SD card completely. According to this: https://sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/wiki/Installation/?version=1 it should be a piece of cake. I don't have the "full channel" installed.

I originally used this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/

Glomgold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Got a USB pen drive today to test with and it works! It's safe to say then that the HDD isn't supported?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's possible the hdd is not compatible, but usually hdd are more compatible than flash drives (usb pen).
be sure you are using latest forwarder v5.1 (old one didn't initialize the hdd the same way or didn't use boot arguments from meta.xml).

If you use HDD only, never enable "dual port" option, and don't connect two HDD at the same time.
USB Port0 should be the only one you use for HDD.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you have your app on your hard drive and try to boot up USB Loader GX and it kicks you back to the system menu, have you tried running it again? Like I have a hard drive that I guess is kind of compatible. I say kind of because it won't recognize the hard drive on the first try but then it does on the second. Like I have USB Loader GX on my USB hard drive, click on the forwarder, it tries to load but fails and kicks me back out to the System Menu. Without doing anything else, all I do is click on the USB Loader GX forwarder again and it works no problem. Just wondering if maybe you are having the same kind of issue like I was having.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you try running the loader from HBC instead of the channel/forwarder? (set HBC to list USB instead of SD)
you can also try to set the loader's IOS to 58 in the settings.

Glomgold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you for answers. I finally got it working and in the process realized that there is a jungle out there regarding programs and their age and compatibilities! Initially the HBC also crashed when I tried to start it with USB Loader GX on the USB HDD. First I ended up with the "full channel" easy way out I thought, but this is an old version I gather and the GC-games wouldn't load "Copy to SD-error", I could still use CFG to load them but it was very convenient to be able to start them from GX. Then I tried to install a newer version of GX as a "full channel" but I guess that doesn't work when I use the same .wad file with a never boot.dol file? After quite a few versions and some strange results like the GC-games suddenly missing all together I found a GX version on a german site http://wiidatabase.de/downloads/usb-und-disk-loader/usb-loader-gx/ r1260, I repeated the process and installed the channel with 5.1 and it worked. For a moment I didn't realized and thought it was on the SD-card because I had been going back and forth so many times.

I see that the forwarder.wad provided in the guide I followed doesn't have 5.1 in it's name and the GX looks to be r874.

Starting from scratch with no knowledge is quite a challenge I think, especially if you want everything to work without an SD-card.

Last edited by Glomgold,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1