USB Loader GX stuck installing games

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by jeffgatter, Sep 7, 2014.

1. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    I've been trying to backup a few games to my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer for about a week now trying out many different options and the problem always seems to be the same. When ever I start the backup/install USB Loader GX gets stuck around 1% in and won't go any further. I don't think the Wii is frozen however, because you can still hear the Wii menu music in the background and you can still move the cursor around the screen. I've been looking around for solutions all week and so far nothing has worked. My Wii is modded using ModMii and I followed the guild entirely. The Wii is also on 4.3u, if anyone has had any luck with this type of issue any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Please post a SysCheck and tell us what drive you're using.

3. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    Sandisk Cruzer 8GB vid - 0781 pid - 5530 formated fat32

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
  5. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    HacksDen?

6. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    Heres HacksDen
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Your cIOS'es seem fine to me, you're running d2x v8 like you should. Did you try any other loaders? I recommend CFGLoader, I used to use GX, but switched due to stability issues. Is the FAT32 partition primary?

8. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    I actually have not done CFGLoader! (realizes now) I looked at that thinking it was Configurable USB Loader, I'll be trying that one ASAP. Yes the Fat32 is the primary and only

9. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    oh wait... nvm mind the loader stuff... ive done that one

10. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    Yeah the FAT32 is the only partition

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Just because it's the only partition doesn't mean that it's Primary - connect the stick to a PC, right-click on My Computer, go to Manage, then to the disk manager and double-check. ;)

12. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    In Disk Utility (mac btw) it says its Partition 1

13. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    please, don't use the word "primary" to determine the order or the partitions.
    primary is a state of the partition (you can have 4 primary partition on MBR).
    primary doesn't mean that it's the FIRST partition of the drive.

First <-> Second <-> third <-> forth partition
    Primary partition (MBR) <-> Extended/logical partition (EBR) <-> GUID partition table (GPT)

USB Loaders are working with all partition type.
    Even if it's not primary, it's not a problem. EBR and GPT are supported.
    Multiple partitions are supported too (up to 8 partitions).

The issue is not the partition, nor the cIOS (well, yes, it is), nor the USBLoader.
    The issue is your Flash drive, which is not compatible in write mode. The cIOS is responsible for this compatibility.

You can try another cIOS version. For example d2x v10 which has better HDD compatibility support.

If v10 didn't help, you can try to set the loader to IOS58 instead of cIOS.
    in USBLoaderGX, you can do it in the settings>Loader Settings>Loader's IOS: 58
    reboot the loader, and try again.

The official IOS58 has a better compatibility with USB drives. It should work with writing games to the partition.
    When you launch the game, the loader will reload the cIOS slot249 first, which works fine for reading your drive.

14. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    I installed d2x v10 and it is still gets stuck installing any game. I tried to change the loader IOS to 58 but the lowest it'll let me go it 200

15. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    The loader needs to have a cIOS set to it which is an IOS above IOS200. Have you tried to do a full format of the usb stick, and not a quick format? Have you tried a different usb stick? Are you connecting the usb stick to the correct usb port in back of the Wii, using the d2x-v10-beta53-alt will allow the use of either of the usb ports.

oh yea, are you using the latest version of the usb loader? If not then update it.

16. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    I am using d2x-v10-beta53-alt, however I am plugged into the correct USB port. I am going to Best Buy today for a different USB of a different brand. And yes I've done a full format not just a quick format

17. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    sandisk should work, I haven't seen an sandisk that didn't work. The only one I ran across that didn't work is a PNY brand, I have 3 different PNY usb sticks and two of them work, one don't work. I would look to something else being your problem. Although there is a lot of newer sandisk usb sticks I havent tried so maybe that could be the problem. I tried to google an image of the model number of your usb stick and saw images of a lot of different styles of sandisk sticks. Posted above, try the CFG usb loader and see if that works.

18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    The loader doesn't need to have a cIOS set to it (anymore).

If the loader didn't let him choose slot 58, it's because he has an old version.

New versions have two IOS options :
    Loader's IOS : can be 58 or anything above 200
    Game's IOS : can be anything above 200

And if IOS58 doesn't solve it (it should), his issue should be solved if he use an external hard drive (NOT a flash stick).
    Flash stick works, but not all of them. HDD have better compatibility rate.

but first, before buying a new drive, update the loader.
    settings > update > loader > FULL.
    it should update to r1231.

if it doesn't, you probably are using the Full channel (not the forwarder+dol on SD card).
    Full channel is not updated.

19. jeffgatter
    OP

jeffgatter Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2014
    United States
    Alright so I think I got it figured out. I tried CFG Loader again and it still didn't go past even one percent. I decided to go back and try to install d2x-v10 again and I noticed that the base version was set to 37. I thought "might as well set that to 58" and continued to install 249 and 250. I went back into USB Loader GX and it installed the game just fine! Thanks to the three of you who helped me out, I doubt I would've gotten it without everyones advice :yaywii:

20. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    If that works for you then good and use what works. It is recommended to install IOS249 with a base of 56, earlier versions used a base of 38 and 36. I've never tried installing IOS249 with a base of 37. IOS250 is recommended to have a base of 57. This is pretty much the standard for a few years now.