Votes: 34 32.1%

• Total voters

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it seems super nice. Once I dump my cartridges and/or dump NAND and other system files, I don't tend to do much else with the chainloader menu. I'll have to dig deeper into it, but I do most file operations on my PC since it's not super inconvenient. Is there much else I'm missing out on?
Well, the beauty of fastboot3DS's chainloader is that 1. You can use button combos, rather than just a single button, and 2. It can boot from multiple places. Luma3DS can only chainload from the SD or CTRNAND, but fastboot3DS can chainload from SD, NAND [CTRNAND], TWLN [TWLNAND], TWLP [TWL PHOTO] as well as firm1.
It allows for much more flexibility in general and even sports loading A9LH payloads (.bin payloads, instead of sighax's .firm) as far as I can tell.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

PowerBall253

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the beauty of fastboot3DS's chainloader is that 1. You can use button combos, rather than just a single button, and 2. It can boot from multiple places. Luma3DS can only chainload from the SD or CTRNAND, but fastboot3DS can chainload from SD, NAND [CTRNAND], TWLN [TWLNAND], TWLP [TWL PHOTO] as well as firm1.
It allows for much more flexibility in general and even sports loading A9LH payloads (.bin payloads, instead of sighax's .firm) as far as I can tell.
Can it chainload A9LH payloads? Did I missed something?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I didn't actually try it, but when I was setting up a boot slot for CTRNAND, it also showed a backup of firm0 & firm1 that I had placed there some time ago, and those backups were firm0.bin/firm1.bin
It also shows the .dat files
Did you read my response on Github, @SirNapkin1334 ? Anyways, FIRMs are recognized just by their filename, the pattern is *firm* - if there's "firm" anywhere in the name, it is recognized. This is intended, and, yes, it's not perfect.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

PowerBall253

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you read my response on Github, @SirNapkin1334 ? Anyways, FIRMs are recognized just by their filename, the pattern is *firm* - if there's "firm" anywhere in the name, it is recognized. This is intended, and, yes, it's not perfect.
Oh, so thats why FIRM0.bin and OpenFirmInstaller.dat where showed there.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to change the menu button and the location of the config.txt? Im looking for more of a stealth approach. The config gets written to the SD, and without that, it boots the menu

PowerBall253

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to change the menu button and the location of the config.txt? Im looking for more of a stealth approach. The config gets written to the SD, and without that, it boots the menu
The menu button can't be changed, but you can setup a config on CTRNAND by powering on the donsole without SD Card, then assigning the boot.firm located in :/nand to the first slot in autoboot mode, then go to Change boot mode option as explained on the guide and select quiet boot.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The menu button can't be changed, but you can setup a config on CTRNAND by powering on the donsole without SD Card, then assigning the boot.firm located in :/nand to the first slot in autoboot mode, then go to Change boot mode option as explained on the guide and select quiet boot.
I'll try that. I already had it booting from nand, but left the SD in

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible to get it to automatically boot to sysnand when the SD card is removed
Yes, setup the first boot slot for boot.firm on SD, and setup the second one for CTRNAND (nand:/boot.firm), and if the first boot slot can't be launched (I.E. SD card is not in), then it will launch the second one, which is in NAND.

Reactions: klear

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays