Hacking Updates - leave on system memory or redownload

tpformbh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Think I've got a handle on how everything works now, thanks for all the guides.

I have approx 10 Wii U discs, and I'd like to be able to move them all onto a portable hard drive, so I'm not having to swap discs.

Let's take Mario Kart 8 for example. I've previously purchased the two DLCs, and I've got a title update on my system memory.

I can use tik2SD to grab the ticket from the disc in the drive.

---

If I try to use Wii U USB Helper, I'm asked if I want to download the update as well. Is there any benefit to doing this, or can I leave the current title update on my system memory? (was going to install the game on my portable USB hard drive).

Also, can I/should I move any of these existing files from the system memory to the USB hard drive?

Thanks

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
USB helper is just telling you that this game (in general), has an update. It doesn't tell you whether that update is newer than your whatever is on your system or anything.

If you want to make things easy on yourself, just launch the game. If it has an update, it will update (assuming you didn't block it with DNS). If nothing happens then you have the latest version already

Also, all games, dlc, and updates should be together in one location. So for mario kart for example, you either have the game, dlc, and update on system memory or USB. You can't split them

Reactions: Ryccardo

tpformbh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
USB helper is just telling you that this game (in general), has an update. It doesn't tell you whether that update is newer than your whatever is on your system or anything.

If you want to make things easy on yourself, just launch the game. If it has an update, it will update (assuming you didn't block it with DNS). If nothing happens then you have the latest version already

Also, all games, dlc, and updates should be together in one location. So for mario kart for example, you either have the game, dlc, and update on system memory or USB. You can't split them

Ok many thanks. I take it the save games can still live on the system memory?

Will the Wii U prevent me from installing the game onto the external hard drive if the update already exists on the system memory then?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Ok many thanks. I take it the save games can still live on the system memory?

Will the Wii U prevent me from installing the game onto the external hard drive if the update already exists on the system memory then?
Any data of a game should be together. Saves are still data. Don't split them!

The Wii u won't prevent anything, but when you run the game, it will detect that there is no update available (and that possibly could corrupt your save if a save file is used on an updated software, it might not be compatible with lower version software). Why doesn't it detect that there is an update? Because the location where it was (USB) didn't have an update file. It won't be looking in system memory. The opposite is correct as well.

Also, something very important to note: Keep in mind that if you split the data, let's say the game and save are in USB, and the dlc and update are in system memory. If you attempt to move the dlc and update this way, it will overwrite the game and save, therefore deleting your save. Many people lost their save file because they weren't aware of this so be careful.

The moral of the story: just keep all files for whatever game in the same destination. If you have an update in system memory and you want to install a game to USB, then there is no reason to not simply move the update to USB before installing the game.

tpformbh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Any data of a game should be together. Saves are still data. Don't split them!

The Wii u won't prevent anything, but when you run the game, it will detect that there is no update available (and that possibly could corrupt your save if a save file is used on an updated software, it might not be compatible with lower version software). Why doesn't it detect that there is an update? Because the location where it was (USB) didn't have an update file. It won't be looking in system memory. The opposite is correct as well.

Also, something very important to note: Keep in mind that if you split the data, let's say the game and save are in USB, and the dlc and update are in system memory. If you attempt to move the dlc and update this way, it will overwrite the game and save, therefore deleting your save. Many people lost their save file because they weren't aware of this so be careful.

The moral of the story: just keep all files for whatever game in the same destination. If you have an update in system memory and you want to install a game to USB, then there is no reason to not simply move the update to USB before installing the game.

That's great, thank you. I'll look to just move the games across before installing them on the hard drive. It seems the Wii U doesn't like my WD Elements so think I'm going to have to get a y cable but that's a separate matter :)

I assume that by copying the update before installing the game, the Wii U doesn't let the 'original' (non updated files) overwrite the update ones? Or are they different file names anyway?

Final one sorry - am I OK to use 'copy' rather than 'move' to ensure a safe (although will soon be out of date) copy is left on the system? The prompt suggests that this is fine as the Wii U will use the save data on the USB anyway?

Last edited by tpformbh,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
That's great, thank you. I'll look to just move the games across before installing them on the hard drive. It seems the Wii U doesn't like my WD Elements so think I'm going to have to get a y cable but that's a separate matter :)

I assume that by copying the update before installing the game, the Wii U doesn't let the 'original' (non updated files) overwrite the update ones? Or are they different file names anyway?
No matter what the drive is, a y cable is almost necessary. It can even prevent problems later on when running a game, as it might crash for not receiving enough power that particular second. So just make sure you get one.

Yes, installing something won't overwrite, while the wiiu's "copy" function does. I'm not sure what you mean about different names

tpformbh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No matter what the drive is, a y cable is almost necessary. It can even prevent problems later on when running a game, as it might crash for not receiving enough power that particular second. So just make sure you get one.

Yes, installing something won't overwrite, while the wiiu's "copy" function does. I'm not sure what you mean about different names

Sorry think my last bit might have been edited in after your reply. I'll pop it again below.

What I meant about updates, was that in the world of PCs, a patch for Microsoft Word will probably include an updated copy of msword.exe . In Wii U terms, I was wondering if the idea of installing a patch would mean that when I come to install the original game, it would effectively overwrite an newer copy of the main files. Taking my Word example, let's pretend Word 2017 patch 1, includes msword.exe v17.1. I then install the full version of Word over the top, thereby replacing 17.1 with 17.0

Final one sorry - with regards game saves, am I OK to use 'copy' rather than 'move' to ensure a safe (although will soon be out of date) copy is left on the system? The prompt suggests that this is fine as the Wii U will use the save data on the USB anyway?

Thanks you've been ever so helpful :)

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Sorry think my last bit might have been edited in after your reply. I'll pop it again below.

What I meant about updates, was that in the world of PCs, a patch for Microsoft Word will probably include an updated copy of msword.exe . In Wii U terms, I was wondering if the idea of installing a patch would mean that when I come to install the original game, it would effectively overwrite an newer copy of the main files. Taking my Word example, let's pretend Word 2017 patch 1, includes msword.exe v17.1. I then install the full version of Word over the top, thereby replacing 17.1 with 17.0

Final one sorry - with regards game saves, am I OK to use 'copy' rather than 'move' to ensure a safe (although will soon be out of date) copy is left on the system? The prompt suggests that this is fine as the Wii U will use the save data on the USB anyway?

Thanks you've been ever so helpful :)
Ah ok I understand, and honestly, I'm not entirely sure of the exact process, but I believe those are kept separate in the nand.

As for the saves, sure you can do that. I personally copied everything, and once I made sure that everything is where it's supposed to be, that's when I deleted the original source.

No problem. Have fun :)

Reactions: tpformbh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1