[UPDATE 2] Calling all Tempers: Help Chary and Family!

Capture.JPG

Today we have setup a GoFundMe page for our beloved reporter @Chary.

Krista and her family have lost their entire home and all worldly possessions in the floods caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Please help us to help them by donating on the following page, any amount will help!

:arrow:Donate on GoFundMe
:arrow:Donate via Paypal to [email protected] and we'll match it on GoFundMe

:arrow:Houston Red Cross

[-UPDATE 2-]
Chary and her family have now received the cash from the fundraiser in full. Thanks again to everyone who donated and helped out!

[-UPDATE-]

After 2 weeks 82 donations have helped to raise £2022 (roughly $2670) to help Chary and her family to rebuild their lives.

A massive thanks to all of the following tempers who donated, and those of you who wished to remain anonymous:

@CreeperdivoHomebrewer
@BlackWizzard17
@Montgomery Von Goochums
@Becky McAndrew
[USER=31]@shaunj66

@thomas Hugh
@DinohScene
@Yudowat
@Disse
@Foxi4
@linuxares
@Bubsy Bobcat
@Depravo
@bjaxx87
@Mário Liberato
@RayD97 Dean
@eric Cobb
@Shadowfied
@sandra Hughes
@Majin Cubyan
[USER=290925]@frogboy

@nEx Y
@exangel
@Rebekah Davenport
@XxShalevElimelechxX
@mohammed Al Rashedi
@SuzieJoe Bob
@andre Trek
@lilaznkilla
@Aneki S
@Bu2d85
@Munchlax Brunchlax
[USER=30028]@Julio
Lizardo
@Eris
@Catsinabucket
@sarkwalvein
@drazenm
@xfxmrl
@Lia
@GamerzHell9137
@x65943
@Elrinth
@BowlOfSpiders
@jerbear64
@cearp
@VinsCool
@Minox
@Roify
@Apathetic_Discord
@Deathwing Zero
@Dennis L
@GearCross
@Joshua F
@draxoon
@Issac
@B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N
@Yu Lu
@Gallito
@misterion
@8BitWonder
@deakphreak
@Armadillo
@matpower
@H.F.H Peeters
@Taleweaver
@p1ngpong
@anon nano
@Alephas Enum
@DarkFlare69
@Todderbert
@HaloEliteLegend
@nastydsi
@ian Mc
[USER=317601]@mbcrazed

@elias Jackson
@6 x anonymous

Also a massive thanks to everyone who has streamed to help this fund.

You are what makes GBAtemp such an amazing community to be a part of!

Now, as for GoFundMe, they have still not released the funds to Chary, despite saying they would, over 10 days ago. The excuse is their engineers need time to convert the raised amount to dollars, and their payment processing team are trying their best to get it done. To me this sounds absurd, but here we are, 14 days since the fund started, waiting for the cash to be paid out in this emergency situation.[/USER][/USER][/USER][/USER]

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Then it comes to a discussion of whether to find a non flooded rental house in Houston, or move to California.
If you never want to deal with any natural disasters again then I would move to the North East. The worst we get here is a blizzard, and that is not shit compared to the hell of tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. I mean, how bad can the white fluffy stuff be? Get to miss school and just cuddle with your love while drinking hot chocolate.

But hey, I might be moving out to Cali rather soon so I can get as far away from the fucking bullshit that I am dealing with here.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just donated US$10 dollars through @shaunj66's PayPal, hopefully it won't get through any crazy complications lol.
I know it isn't a lot, but I hope it helps somehow, Chary. My best regards to you and your family, hope you can find peace after this whole ordeal and get your stuff back.

D

Deleted User

This^

It converts to dollars, as well, once all is said and done. So it's all good.

Here's a bonus doggo pic
View attachment 97209

He's been hogging the hotel bed, he seems super tired, poor dog has probably been through a lot, just like everyone else in Houston. He's actually been a little scared, I took him to sit outside for a bit, and he kept whimpering. I don't think he likes being in all these new places. But he's calm now.

I got a response from my insurance company regarding my car--its getting towed to get an inspection. They'll be checking how bad it's wrecked from water damage. Neighbor who has my cats tells me water got back into my house, which is...just...I've got no words for that anymore. I really want to go investigate my house, but since the levee and dam overflow, the roads have closed further.

NBC Nightly News says Houston reached 51" of rain. There's a tank outside, rolling over to a shelter. I have no earthly idea what it's going to do, but it's...there? I'm going to just sleep, for now and not think too hard about things. Much easier to sleep with my dog nearby.
seriously a tank? idk if that could do much good if its engine gets flooded..

I'm thoroughly impressed with the response from the community. I gotta say, I'm really proud of all of us. We'll argue over the silliest things (3DS Hacking Section *cough cough*) but when the rubber hits the road, we can come together and do amazing things. Hopefully the trend continues, there's a lot of people in need out there and by the looks of things it seems that @Chary is sharing the love. You go, pizza girl!
*cough* luma *cough cough*

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
@Chary I think if you actually wanna leave Houston or Texas....I would recommend that you move to Chicagoland! (Not Chicago though). It doesn't get hurricanes, tornadoes(unlike central & southern Illinois), or earthquakes. Just thunderstorms and severe cold in the winter (so if you don't mind cold weather it's not bad). Howevr I would recommend staying away from Will County (for moving)....it's trash...that part gets tornadoes and Joliet....is not the best place to live....I would recommend DuPage County or the northern portion of Cook County for living. Great places to raise families and it has good pizza~! Well whatever you choose to do. I hope you are happy!

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chary I think if you actually wanna leave Houston or Texas....I would recommend that you move to Chicagoland! (Not Chicago though). It doesn't get hurricanes, tornadoes(unlike central & southern Illinois), or earthquakes. Just thunderstorms and severe cold in the winter (so if you don't mind cold weather it's not bad). Howevr I would recommend staying away from Will County (for moving)....it's trash...that part gets tornadoes and Joliet....is not the best place to live....I would recommend DuPage County or the northern portion of Cook County for living. Great places to raise families and it has good pizza~! Well whatever you choose to do. I hope you are happy!

I'll second this. Though you still have to be careful of rivers. I live in the Fox River area and floods have happened here, normally the low lying parts down river.

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
okay...so I'm not aware what in the world hotels that FEMA offers...? Their immediate aid is 30 days in a FEMA-affiliate hotel, but I can't find a government list of what that exactly is...
Try this:
http://www.fedtravel.com/hotel-search.html

It shows many "FEMA approved" hotels in Houston, so I hope some of those are still an option.

Last edited by bjaxx87,
D

Deleted User

News this morning said the hurricane made a 3rd land fall but not in texas and that it will move up the country
So things should be geting better over there soon

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Woke up at 5:00 to call FEMA for my hotel waiver. It's now 6:33, been on hold for a while. I've purchased a storage locker for two months, and found 10 hotels that I could potentially get to, and be booked for free via FEMA. I just have to hope that they have room. The hotel I'm at right now, does not appear to take any FEMA credit according to when I asked the front desk.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
It is heart warming to see so many people help @Chary out, honestly I couldnt imagine going through something like that and losing everything. Who would have thought the countless hours of selfless hard work Chary put into the site for all of us paid off in her hour of need!

Stay strong, I hope you and your family can get back to some sense of normality soon! :gun:

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Again and again, I thank you all, you didn't have to do this, but you've all just been the most gracious and helpful people ever. Above and beyond.

I went home, and started packing up wet consoles. I liked to keep my room as a little kinda mini game store design. I had boxes of game consoles and such, and they're all moldy. It hurts to see. I found my PlayStation vita, drenched. It's kinda funny, that vita and persona 4 is what made me write reviews for gbatemp.

It got to be a bit much, I was crying over it, the mold smell, the warped floorboards, the ruined stuff everywhere. My uncle took me to the church, where they were giving out clothes. My dad has clothes and shoes now. The generosity of people is so touching...it's stunning and amazing and so many other words I can't describe with.

D

Deleted User

Again and again, I thank you all, you didn't have to do this, but you've all just been the most gracious and helpful people ever. Above and beyond.

I went home, and started packing up wet consoles. I liked to keep my room as a little kinda mini game store design. I had boxes of game consoles and such, and they're all moldy. It hurts to see. I found my PlayStation vita, drenched. It's kinda funny, that vita and persona 4 is what made me write reviews for gbatemp.

It got to be a bit much, I was crying over it, the mold smell, the warped floorboards, the ruined stuff everywhere. My uncle took me to the church, where they were giving out clothes. My dad has clothes and shoes now. The generosity of people is so touching...it's stunning and amazing and so many other words I can't describe with.
Hopefully some of those can be saved
My sister lost her phone and we found it a few days later in our pool and I managed to save it so I hope that atleast the vita is salvageable

Aneki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If your vita isn't salvageable, I can give you mines. It's been collecting dust for about 8 months now, it has a couple of scratches, but it works perfectly and comes with a 16GB memory card.

Last edited by Aneki,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands

I know it may not be much but you can save most electric devices from a water trip by completely letting them dry out (in and outside) before turning them on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch