[UPDATE 2] Calling all Tempers: Help Chary and Family!

Capture.JPG

Today we have setup a GoFundMe page for our beloved reporter @Chary.

Krista and her family have lost their entire home and all worldly possessions in the floods caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Please help us to help them by donating on the following page, any amount will help!

:arrow:Donate on GoFundMe
:arrow:Donate via Paypal to [email protected] and we'll match it on GoFundMe

:arrow:Houston Red Cross

[-UPDATE 2-]
Chary and her family have now received the cash from the fundraiser in full. Thanks again to everyone who donated and helped out!

[-UPDATE-]

After 2 weeks 82 donations have helped to raise £2022 (roughly $2670) to help Chary and her family to rebuild their lives.

A massive thanks to all of the following tempers who donated, and those of you who wished to remain anonymous:

@CreeperdivoHomebrewer
@BlackWizzard17
@Montgomery Von Goochums
@Becky McAndrew
[USER=31]@shaunj66

@thomas Hugh
@DinohScene
@Yudowat
@Disse
@Foxi4
@linuxares
@Bubsy Bobcat
@Depravo
@bjaxx87
@Mário Liberato
@RayD97 Dean
@eric Cobb
@Shadowfied
@sandra Hughes
@Majin Cubyan
[USER=290925]@frogboy

@nEx Y
@exangel
@Rebekah Davenport
@XxShalevElimelechxX
@mohammed Al Rashedi
@SuzieJoe Bob
@andre Trek
@lilaznkilla
@Aneki S
@Bu2d85
@Munchlax Brunchlax
[USER=30028]@Julio
Lizardo
@Eris
@Catsinabucket
@sarkwalvein
@drazenm
@xfxmrl
@Lia
@GamerzHell9137
@x65943
@Elrinth
@BowlOfSpiders
@jerbear64
@cearp
@VinsCool
@Minox
@Roify
@Apathetic_Discord
@Deathwing Zero
@Dennis L
@GearCross
@Joshua F
@draxoon
@Issac
@B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N
@Yu Lu
@Gallito
@misterion
@8BitWonder
@deakphreak
@Armadillo
@matpower
@H.F.H Peeters
@Taleweaver
@p1ngpong
@anon nano
@Alephas Enum
@DarkFlare69
@Todderbert
@HaloEliteLegend
@nastydsi
@ian Mc
[USER=317601]@mbcrazed

@elias Jackson
@6 x anonymous

Also a massive thanks to everyone who has streamed to help this fund.

You are what makes GBAtemp such an amazing community to be a part of!

Now, as for GoFundMe, they have still not released the funds to Chary, despite saying they would, over 10 days ago. The excuse is their engineers need time to convert the raised amount to dollars, and their payment processing team are trying their best to get it done. To me this sounds absurd, but here we are, 14 days since the fund started, waiting for the cash to be paid out in this emergency situation.[/USER][/USER][/USER][/USER]

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nope, then they can go to 5k and then 10k if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT : I've checked, you can put as much as you need to. I've saw fundraising that put a gap at 37.7k or others that put 2k.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Haha I appreciate your energy Lilith !
I didn't mean it was GoFundMe, but how much the GBATemp staff wants to reach before closing it, you know. :P

aea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Salvaged some more sentimental things; pictures, heirlooms, etc. I was glad to see those made it. I am absolutely beat after all the running around done today, hauling things. My dad was determined to "save" the washing machine he had just purchased the previous month. It doesn't...look okay...but he really wanted it. It's under warranty anyways... My parents are starting to get a little bit antsy with each other, and I don't think seeing the house in the shape it was helped with that. It's rough on everyone. I talked to my neighbors, and the entire town of Westbury seems to just be totaled. Everyone on our street is either moving out of Texas entirely, or spending thousands rennovating the flood damage away.

I'm packing up out of this hotel, and on friday morning, I'll be moving into the hotel closer to my mom's work (and the storage shed). I'll be there for a month, looking for a non flooded rental house...dealing with the car insurance...etc etc. My landowner was pretty snippy with me, too. He says he's bringing people in on monday to start repairs, and he will keep all contents within the house. Not like there's much to keep...but it puts pressure on me to make sure there's nothing at all salvagable before he claims the house.

Thanks to all the donations, I'll be able to eat dinner tonight. The dog has chow as well! <3 Though it's really difficult, everyone here is doing as good as they possibly could be.
Glad to see that your situation is evolving well!! After such traumatic moments everyone deserves a decent meal and a good shower to feel a little better, there is when one appreciate the little things.
P.S.:Lucky you that recovered that FF III cartridge, enjoy that little good boy for me when all turn to normal again.

Reactions: Chary

Aneki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, maybe I'll seem a bit overly sentimental with this one. But when I was a little kid, I had this Charmander toy I'd carry with me everywhere I went. I love the plushie, and for 15 years I've had it. When I was an older teen, I'd packed him up, in my closet, and I felt kinda bad.

(picture)

He's clearly seen better days, but putting him up on a shelf saved him! It's so good to have some old childhood things survive the flooding.

It's good to hear you're doing well! I just recently came back from volunteering from the Houston food bank.

I would gladly take it if you just give it away.

I mean I still wanna use it, but since her vita was something sentimental, I at least wanted to help her get a replacement even though it'll never be the same thing.

Last edited by Aneki,

Zaiphon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's good to hear you're doing well! I just recently came back from volunteering from the Houston food bank.

I mean I still wanna use it, but since her vita was something sentimental, I at least wanted to help her get a replacement even though it'll never be the same thing.
Nice gesture on your side!
Still wish i had one.

D

Deleted User

Was in my hortculture class just now and we were geting rid of some plants with salt water
If the flood waters are salt water then the plants over there are screwed
Edit: water supplies could be screwed too if its saltwater

Last edited by ,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
how are the dams ? last time I watch the tv news, one was overflooded and on the verge of breaking.

Chary :
Your mom is working in Houston or a near town/city ?

Glad you have a private storage room, it will prevent looters.
About your house's owner calling rights on all its content, you can see it as a good thing : you won't have to pay to move and throw all the unrescuable (is that even a word? I love inventing english words) content and clean the house yourself to give it back in rent state you get it. Take all you can that can't be replaced. Other things can always be bought again later.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
how are the dams ? last time I watch the tv news, one was overflooded and on the verge of breaking.

Chary :
Your mom is working in Houston or a near town/city ?

Glad you have a private storage room, it will prevent looters.
About your house's owner calling rights on all its content, you can see it as a good thing : you won't have to pay to move and throw all the unrescuable (is that even a word? I love inventing english words) content and clean the house yourself to give it back in rent state you get it. Take all you can that can't be replaced. Other things can always be bought again later.
The dam overflowed and the levee broke. It made more water come into my house, but not much. My mother works in west university, (town in Houston) where the FEMA hotel is. And yeah, I'm glad I don't have to deal with moldy tables and such. It makes things easier. Sucks for the moving crew, though!

NicoAICP

Some random dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
View attachment 97334

All ruined...

But I've got the consoles out, and they're drying. I have the room key now for the FEMA hotel, and the tiny storage locker I got has been filled.
hopefully just the caseings are broken (even tho it's bad, with casings i mean the game caseings) and the technology is still fine.

aea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Watching the news I saw the situation in the Crosby chemicals plant and thought it could affect your area, but after investigating it seems it is too far to represent any danger for you, though it's always wise to keep an eye on news for any advice from authorities.

Reactions: Chary and matpower

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
@Chary I am appalled at the lack of flute in the pictures even though you mentioned it. I played it in my high school band, so I empathize and hope it's okay! Good to see some good progress, and sorry for the other items that got destroyed. We will help you out.

Speaking of helping out, I will be donating a bit tomorrow, and hopefully more on the 5th, from personal funds.

I have also set up a fundraiser at my workplace for our customers to donate any amount for this endeavor, so keep an eye out for those amounts. I hope they will continue to help you and your family. I work at a busy location, so donations will hopefully be frequent.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
@Chary I am appalled at the lack of flute in the pictures even though you mentioned it. I played it in my high school band, so I empathize and hope it's okay! Good to see some good progress, and sorry for the other items that got destroyed. We will help you out.

Speaking of helping out, I will be donating a bit tomorrow, and hopefully more on the 5th, from personal funds.

I have also set up a fundraiser at my workplace for our customers to donate any amount for this endeavor, so keep an eye out for those amounts. I hope they will continue to help you and your family. I work at a busy location, so donations will hopefully be frequent.
Flute is in a storage locker! I had two--one with cork on the pads, one without. The cork one was dripping water :(

Thank you, for that. Gosh I love gbatemp and it's members <3

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

GBAtemp's kindness never ceases to amaze.

Aneki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just came back exploring the city a bit, more specifically the south side and its a horrible feeling seeing some neighborhoods that were still flooded in. There's still people unable to go their homes yet. I saw a couple of them walking through the water just to get to their homes and see inside. Hopefully they and everyone affected gets the help they need!

Last edited by Aneki,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Flute is in a storage locker! I had two--one with cork on the pads, one without. The cork one was dripping water :(

Thank you, for that. Gosh I love gbatemp and it's members <3
You're very welcome. Glad to know you have a flute safe and sound.

Totally meant that pun.

Reactions: Chary and Aneki

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Got an update about the car. It's ruined. Insides are rusting, engine is toast, seats have water in them. Insurance will be paying $6000 for repairs. Oof.

Been looking at rental houses all day. I used to pay $1000/mo for a 3 bed, 2 bath, giant yard house. Now I can't find anything comparable for $1450/mo even. Just how expensive ARE houses here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: