Hacking upcoming on omega development

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most of the listings say EZ-FLASH Omega EZ-FLASH REFORM.
It's confusing as Omega and Reform are clearly different carts and I don't want the REFORM.
I want the OMEGA. Would love some feedback on successful orders.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several pie-in-the-sky things, but going to throw them out here

1. Ability to delete/move/rename (any of those would be useful) files.
2. Some sort of built-in simple filesystem check (look for obvious things like invalid directory entries, duplicate names, incorrect free space amount)
3. Log/Transaction FAT filesystem support (yea, not going to probably happen but I can dream)
4. Built-in filesystem sort.
5. Themeing support.
6. Switch Clean Boot and Boot with Addons in the menu
7. Some option to choose where on the screen thumbnails are shown (maybe as part of a themeing option)
8. Have left/right go to the top/bottom entry when on the first/last page
9. Support thumbnails for NES/GB/GBC based on a fuzzy filename match (like your cheat library will)

Really any improvements would be great. Just trying to come up with things that are awesome (and mostly impractical).

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
kernel 1.01 have hidden hotkey to delete file...B-)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Several pie-in-the-sky things, but going to throw them out here

1. Ability to delete/move/rename (any of those would be useful) files.
2. Some sort of built-in simple filesystem check (look for obvious things like invalid directory entries, duplicate names, incorrect free space amount)
3. Log/Transaction FAT filesystem support (yea, not going to probably happen but I can dream)
4. Built-in filesystem sort.
5. Themeing support.
6. Switch Clean Boot and Boot with Addons in the menu
7. Some option to choose where on the screen thumbnails are shown (maybe as part of a themeing option)
8. Have left/right go to the top/bottom entry when on the first/last page
9. Support thumbnails for NES/GB/GBC based on a fuzzy filename match (like your cheat library will)

Really any improvements would be great. Just trying to come up with things that are awesome (and mostly impractical).

I think only open source can solve these. but I worry about my competitors

Reactions: cearp

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
1. recent played rom list
2. auto-match cheat library
3. dummy mode for Chinese user because too many modded roms.

suggestions are welcomed

Is there any possibility to further reduce the power draw of the cart when playing games? FAST6191 tested out the Omega with the latest 3.0 firmware and during a game it was drawing about 0.18-0.20, while the original game cart took about 0.11. That's a pretty decent difference in power draw. That's the only thing stopping me from purchasing one at the moment. It's either an Omega or an Everdrive X5. The Everdrive doesn't' draw as much power, it's very similar to an original cartridge.

Reactions: Madridi

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kernel 1.01 have hidden hotkey to delete file...B-)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think only open source can solve these. but I worry about my competitors
Open-source will, in my opinion, make you beat your competitors very easily. If you make your code open source, then the value of your carts will increase over time, because the community will keep making improvements to it. I understand that your team is working on their own to make your carts better every day, but it makes sense that the more work people put in the better it will be, and you'll be getting lots of contributions for free.

Besides that, the big problem is your competitors copying your code, and I understand the problem. However, it actually won't matter, because your competitors will have two options:

1) They shamelessly copy your code, and make their cloned version closed source. They now have an inferior product, and one thsts not receiving support from open source developers. Because open source devs can't support their product, your product is clearly the superior version, making it better and beating the cloned versions.
2) They shamelessly copy your code, and make their cloned version open source. The community then immediately recognizes that their version is a clone, and refuses to buy the product.

For that reason, I don't believe you will lose many customers if you make your code open source. What you will gain is a lot of new customers who have the option to play around on custom GBA hardware, something that's never been seen before, that is receiving improvements at a rapid rate. If you look at the market now, the only real competition you hsve is Krizz and the everdrive. If you make your code open source for all GBA devs to play around with, you've created a feature that he can't match at a price that's a lot lower than his. That will make your cart the #1 cart in the market.

In my opinion, open source = lots of $$$.

Reactions: Essometer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The community then immediately recognizes that their version is a clone, and refuses to buy the product.
Is that a thing now is it? It wasn't before. Some might take a position against it but in all the scenes I saw then not so much. I don't know how the now somewhat smaller and "retro" GBA scene will modify things here (try and pull a fast one in the neo geo world and you will probably not get far, make some kind of PS2 clone device today and nobody will bat an eyelid).

That said a measure of open source could work.
Or if you prefer there is a reason the AK2i on the DS and the EZTeam's own 3 in 1 got as big as they did, and why DLDI (and libraries before that) were so desired. It was open source that did that. For the AK2i and 3 in 1 it was not any massive hardware quality bump over the alternatives.
I quite like the AKRPG/AKAIO/wood approach to patching as well -- https://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flashcart-for-castlevania-por.343239/page-2#post-4559271 has a code snippet and should be fairly obvious how it works.

It is also not like the DS days where you had thousands of games a year, all needing fairly extensive debugging and patching. There are no new GBA games. Basically everything is already fixed, said fixes being quite simple, and the troublesome games already known about.

For Kuwanger's list a few of those might well entail opening up the code at the heart of it and thus opening up the clones issue. On the other hand if you wanted to provide a core API set and have the loader, fixes and such handled by many people that would do well.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, did not mean to imply there was anything. Just that the PS2 scene is hardly tight knit and concerned with such matters when compared to some of the smaller scenes. If someone cloned a popular chip for the PS2 tomorrow then nobody would really care. Compare say the neo geo or some aspects of the Saturn, and there are maybe two main forums a piece with 10 or so people doing the real work for the scenes. Try to float your clones for the latter and as everybody knows everybody...

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that a thing now is it? It wasn't before. Some might take a position against it but in all the scenes I saw then not so much.

I know personally that if someone made a clone of a device and the clone was readily available on Amazon but the original was not or the original was finally put on Amazon but it costs 20-30% more than listed elsewhere and the original already cost 50% more than the clone... In short, I entirely understand wanting to stop people making a cheap clone of all your hard work. If that means the EZ Omega doesn't have much/any open source, I entirely understand.

Having said that, it'd be really nice if after it no longer becomes commercially viable or the risk of clones diminishes enough (5-10 years maybe?) that it was made open source. I know it's not always doable because of licensing or the code was lost, but there's plenty of times where someone entirely abandons a project and they could release the source. I understand it's more effort with little to directly gain, but it really gives me a lot more respect for the group/developer. Anyways, that's more my real hope than anything. Right now it's enough that the EZ Omega works well and development on the quirks are being worked through.

Reactions: zfreeman

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
considering close source core + api, os part open source.

but it's an annoying work, write document.. refactor codes....

it will not available very soon

Reactions: cearp

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Is there any possibility to further reduce the power draw of the cart when playing games? FAST6191 tested out the Omega with the latest 3.0 firmware and during a game it was drawing about 0.18-0.20, while the original game cart took about 0.11. That's a pretty decent difference in power draw. That's the only thing stopping me from purchasing one at the moment. It's either an Omega or an Everdrive X5. The Everdrive doesn't' draw as much power, it's very similar to an original cartridge.
I feel like I must reiterate this question..
@EZ-Flash2 could you please comment on this issue?

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I feel like I must reiterate this question..
@EZ-Flash2 could you please comment on this issue?

the power consumption is adjustable by firmware upgrade.

if you read the review, you may notice the 3.0 firmware lower 10% consumption than stock firmware.

there is no complain about power consumption by Chinese users right now.

Last edited by EZ-Flash2,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock