Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok i've recently installed ubuntu linux in a VM ware cause theres alot of rave about it.
Theres been a few hick-ups
Uninstalling/installing via command gets annoying

I've got wine its good..
I made a quick app in vb for it but it didn't load it

It's found my whole network and all
I'm impressed

SO whats some must have linux apps

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dude, don't bother to even use Linux, just use Windows ffs, it's good enough.

And what do you mean by Must Have linux app?

It's not like, that linux is a homebrew device, and there are just a few good programs out there.

There is an app for everything!

x-mah-D

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are alot of good apps for windows out there eg photoshop well on linux it Gimp for photoediting

I installed a codec pack so it could play mp3s....

Then i got an initramfs error upon boot but a reboot fixed

and last night i had to install vmware tools witch seems to changed my kernal

cuase it used to just boot into ubuntu but now it comes up with a check list says
a pile ok [OK]'s

I'm new to this stuff give me a chance...

There must be good programs for linux like windows.
Also now i've installed vmware tools it has updates like 270
and theres kernal updates so i don't want to screw up my hours installation to get things perfect

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well there's no good games for Linux since if they ever did come out for Linux they'd also be available on Windows. As for apps, there's basically anything ever made for other OS's just under a different name.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
Well there's no good games for Linux since if they ever did come out for Linux they'd also be available on Windows. As for apps, there's basically anything ever made for other OS's just under a different name.
I take it you've never installed the bsdgames package?
tongue.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
Golfman560 said:
I take it you've never installed the bsdgames package?
tongue.gif
Exactly what good games are in it?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just because this thread is silly I want to reply too, but all I can do really is bash on these comments:
QUOTE said:
As for apps, there's basically anything ever made for other OS's just under a different name.
QUOTE said:
linux can do everything windows can.
As both forget one thing: +more

Install any distro you like, if 'Linux' is for you you will know why. Must have apps is rather silly of course same as it would have been for windows, all depends on what you will be using and what your preferences are. I don't have all that much installed aside from the standard pack of things that come with OpenSuse.

Tux Racer was fun
tongue.gif
. As for this statement:
Well there's no good games for Linux since if they ever did come out for Linux they'd also be available on Windows.
Wrong cause with the wrong effect, the first being wrong all together (for example Unreal Tournament) depending of course on your preference in games. Then there is the fact that some if not most games DO run (quite well in some cases, RA3 for example), al be it some under Wine. Because windows, and directX, is the most popular under gamers (as most games were made for it, it's a circel) the odds of things being released for Linux are slim to none. Even though the UT engine properly supports opengl and has been written for linux also, getting the extra license for it tends to be thought of as more expensive then the support of the user base running Linux (only) is worth. EVE online recently cancelled their Linux client developement, quite sad really.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Golfman560 said:

tried urban terror? open arena? and the hundreds of other games that run on linux?

no? then GTFO until you have.

x-mah-D

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the help

It's running fine
I just dont know about updating the kernal...

Along the way of installing vmware tools it came up with crap so i kept hitting enter and i antecedent went past the screen resolution so now every time i boot into ubuntu it has a big res and i have to login and change it back down every time.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
x-mah-D said:
Thanks for the help

It's running fine
I just dont know about updating the kernal...

Along the way of installing vmware tools it came up with crap so i kept hitting enter and i antecedent went past the screen resolution so now every time i boot into ubuntu it has a big res and i have to login and change it back down every time.
You can simply change your corg.conf (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) to not allow such large resolutions. There should be an application for that too in case you don't want to use the terminal. Btw if you are going to change your xorg.conf please make a backup before doing so, that will make sure when you screw up the settings you can simply copy back the original one to start over again
smile.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wabsta said:
Dude, don't bother to even use Linux, just use Windows ffs, it's good enough.

And what do you mean by Must Have linux app?

It's not like, that linux is a homebrew device, and there are just a few good programs out there.

There is an app for everything!

I agree, i had Ubuntu on my laptop for a year, i was really impressed with it, but in my case it just wasn't so practical, im dual booting t with XP, and to be honest i find myself in XP more often. Anyway to stay on topic you could check out Amorak, Emescene?

x-mah-D

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pidgin....Uck..

I Don't like that...
I prefer aMSN.

Some will not agree i guess but i prefer it..
Pidgin to me seems unfinished...

I'm trying to find out how to access the vmware-tools.pl (?)
and there i should be able to change the res

When i got on it this morning the only thing that was out of wack was the login screen but after that it went back to the right res..

Also i'm just wondering if you linux gurus know how to switch it to auto-login instead of having to type in usrmane and pass
There was an option when i installed to do so but i didn't want auto login but now i do.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
x-mah-D said:
Pidgin....Uck..

I Don't like that...
I prefer aMSN.
pidgin just supports so many protocols, even facebook and xfire
QUOTE(x-mah-D @ Mar 2 2009, 05:03 AM) Also i'm just wondering if you linux gurus know how to switch it to auto-login instead of having to type in usrmane and pass
There was an option when i installed to do so but i didn't want auto login but now i do.

system -> administration -> login window

select security tab

its a little hidden, but that's a good thing....

x-mah-D

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
x-mah-D said:
Pidgin....Uck..

I Don't like that...
I prefer aMSN.
QUOTE(x-mah-D @ Mar 2 2009, 05:03 AM) Also i'm just wondering if you linux gurus know how to switch it to auto-login instead of having to type in usrmane and pass

select security tab

Xfire?
I never seen that login for pidgin
cause i use xfire alot...??
im on 8.10
I"ll go check this out now

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
x-mah-D said:
UltraMagnus said:
x-mah-D said:
Pidgin....Uck..

I Don't like that...
I prefer aMSN.

select security tab

Xfire?
I never seen that login for pidgin
cause i use xfire alot...??
im on 8.10
I"ll go check this out now

http://gfire.site40.net/

(For your information, pidgin used to be called GAIM, hence the name "Gfire")

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what about tacos?