Hacking Ubuntu 18.04 on a Switch

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm, I downloaded the pre-build image and wrote it to my SD with Etcher. Then I tried to launch it with TegraRcmSmash but it won't work. I see the screen with Tux on top, but then it returns to RCM mode. :/

Joshywooful

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some trouble with running the exploit. As far as I know, I have everything installed that is needed to be able to run the script. When I run the exploit, the terminal seems to hang for a while and when reading through the log file, a few things had timed out and right after the script switches to cbfs mode, it says "invalid coreboot.rom".

I can post my exploit.log file if needed.

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Help?

I already tried to use the exploit in VMware but I only get "Exploiting Switch recovery mode and loading coreboot..." and nothing else happens. :(

Last edited by DarkOrb,

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I also tried to build ubuntu by myself because I thought, that the pre-build image is botched, but I won't get that to boot either.

FruithatMods

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will the same image work on the Nvidia Shield TV?
It uses the same architecture. Right now people can boot linux distress on the xda forums. The system is open and doesn't require an exploit to make it boot. No one managed to get the GPU to work though yet, so no HW acceleration.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Current version: 2.0
Download pre-built images:

What works:
  • 3D acceleration (although it seems slower than it should be, but this code only landed in Mesa *very* recently)
  • WiFi (but you need to tell Ubuntu to reboot and when the screen goes black, re-run the full exploit chain)
  • touchscreen
  • Bluetooth (somewhat, it seems to be a bit unreliable)
  • Light sensor (but you'll probably want to turn that off in the system preferences, because it's very annoying!)
Will the same image work on the Nvidia Shield TV?
It uses the same architecture. Right now people can boot linux distress on the xda forums. The system is open and doesn't require an exploit to make it boot. No one managed to get the GPU to work though yet, so no HW acceleration.

LuigiGold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi.

I burnt the image into my SD card with Etcher, then booted with the shofel2 exploit, it says it was successful, but I didn't see anything but a black screen in my console.

What would be the problem?

I can boot Lakka and any other Linux distro without any problem, so idk what's wrong here.

Greetings.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
can i dualboot ubuntu and Horrizon OS on one sd card?

No, also, this thread is extremely outdated, this is the new one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/l4t-ubuntu-a-fully-featured-linux-on-your-switch.537301/
Of course it's possible. Just copy everything from SD to PC, flash the img file to your SD card, rezise the FAT32 partition to max possible size, copy everything back.
However, as Centergaming stated: Use L4T, not this old stuff here.

Centergaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it's possible. Just copy everything from SD to PC, flash the img file to your SD card, rezise the FAT32 partition to max possible size, copy everything back.
However, as Centergaming stated: Use L4T, not this old stuff here.
Yeah, my mistake, literally rushed my sentence without thinking about it. This thread is very outdated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?