Hardware Typical black screen of death - all lights are on (corrupted/fried NAND?)

RockmanYoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not modded the 3DS except for when I used Tubehax in August 2015.

Title says it all. Am I royally screwed? I thought it would've been the wifi card or a loose cable inside the 3DS motherboard, but if that were the case then wouldn't the wifi be off and the 3d not working? Could it be a faulty screen?

And yes, I have booted into recovery mode and performed an update, but it did nothing.

I'm having the exact same problem as this redditor. One of the posters says it is a corrupted NAND, which sounds scary, and I'd very much like to keep my 3ds data with me. However, I have come across these posts (from gbatemp and reddit) stating that one could fix a broken NAND with no backup.

If my bricked 3DS was not hacked, would it still be possible to do this method? Perhaps with the recent sleep mode/flashcard unbricking discovery it would? Or with a hardmod/nand dump?

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted User

I have not modded the 3DS except for when I used Tubehax in August 2015.

Title says it all. Am I royally screwed? I thought it would've been the wifi card or a loose cable inside the 3DS motherboard, but if that were the case then wouldn't the wifi be off and the 3d not working? Could it be a faulty screen?

And yes, I have booted into recovery mode and performed an update, but it did nothing.

I'm having the exact same problem as this redditor. One of the posters says it is a corrupted NAND, which sounds scary, and I'd very much like to keep my 3ds data with me. However, I have come across these posts (from gbatemp and reddit) stating that one could fix a broken NAND with no backup.

If my bricked 3DS was not hacked, would it still be possible to do this method? Perhaps with the recent sleep mode/flashcard unbricking discovery it would? Or with a hardmod/nand dump?

Thanks in advance.
There is a new unbrick method coming out that only requires a magnet and flashcard.But it's not coming out until more flashcards are supported since the devs don't want people buying the same flashcard if the one they have can be supported.

Reactions: Deleted User

RockmanYoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a new unbrick method coming out that only requires a magnet and flashcard.But it's not coming out until more flashcards are supported since the devs don't want people buying the same flashcard if the one they have can be supported.

Yea, i saw the thread. But if i did not hack my 3ds previously, is it possible to unbrick it (with my system data)?

D

Deleted User

Yea, i saw the thread. But if i did not hack my 3ds previously, is it possible to unbrick it (with my system data)?
The flashcard and magnet method is sead to fix any brick so I don't think a NAND backup is needed.Basicaly what I mean is you currently can't right now since a NAND backup is needed (cfw is required to make one) if you want to hardmod to fix your corrupted NAND.

Last edited by ,

RockmanYoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The flashcard and magnet method is sead to fix any brick so I don't think a NAND backup is needed.Basicaly what I mean is you currently can't right now since a NAND backup is needed (cfw is required to make one) if you want to hardmod to fix your corrupted NAND.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

But in the future, with the sleep/flash exploit, could I replicate these steps with my bricked 3DS and another hacked 3ds?

Open Decrypt9 on the bricked system, and create a CTRtransfer file using the bricked nand.

2. Transfer this bricked CTRnand to an emuNAND of another 3DS.

3. Using GodMode9 and sysNAND, copy the files that caused the brick (for example, a bricked HOME Menu on a American 3DS) a content folder named 0008f02 from sysNAND.

4. Copy the file/folders from sysNAND and paste it into the bricked emuNAND. The emuNAND would now work.

5. Finally, create a CTRTransfer file from the emuNAND.

6. Open Decrypt9 on the bricked 3DS, then install the working CTRtransfer file. The system should now be reverted to its state before the brick.

gui710

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Try Holding A+R+L+Up(DPad) all together when turning on 3DS, it might work but you'll be forced to update your 3ds to the latest version which means no CFW for now.

Last edited by gui710,

RockmanYoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Holding A+R+L+Up(DPad) all together when turning on 3DS, it might work but you'll be forced to update your 3ds to the latest version which means no CFW for now.

I've done that, didn't work also note that I didn't use CFW on my 3ds yet.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does your console make some weird sound? Mine once gone completely weird once. I think it was MCU going into a corrupted state, or something like that. All i did is put a random cartdrigde into the slot and then wait some hours. I turned it back on normally.

RockmanYoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That key combo is for the 3DS "Safe Mode" but since it didn't worked it might actually be a corrupted NAND.

It loaded, but the update did nothing. If it is a corrupted nand, could I fix it? There's gotta be a way how Nintendo fixes it, maybe they use the sleep mode exploit? :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does your console make some weird sound? Mine once gone completely weird once. I think it was MCU going into a corrupted state, or something like that. All i did is put a random cartdrigde into the slot and then wait some hours. I turned it back on normally.

The only sound I hear is the sound of the magnet/speaker when it turns on and when i close the 3ds gently.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It loaded, but the update did nothing. If it is a corrupted nand, could I fix it? There's gotta be a way how Nintendo fixes it, maybe they use the sleep mode exploit? :P

The only sound I hear is the sound of the magnet/speaker when it turns on and when i close the 3ds gently.

It's not a sleep mode exploit lol, this is hardware related, if you had spare parts, I'd suggest changing out your wifi board. Your NAND won't just magically corrupt since you don't use CFW / Homebrew.

gui710

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

After the Update have you tried to boot it without SD Card?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*