Black screen and blue power light on New 3DS XL

kaninchen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone!

I think I might have soft-bricked my hacked New 3DS XL.
I was playing a game and left my 3DS on sleep.
The battery died and the next time I switched it on, I only had a black screen and a blue power light.

I tried all the steps of the troubleshooting guide on 3ds.hacks.guide but nothing worked.
I also tried updating Luma, godmode9 and boot9strap.
When I did the CTRTransfer, the 3DS actually booted into the main menu. But then it froze. After a few minutes I forced it to shut down and after that I haven't gotten beyond the black screen with blue power light, even when retrying the steps of the CTRTransfer.

I wonder if all is lost or if I could restore the 3DS somehow? When I boot without the SD card it starts the LUMA configuration and if I boot with the start button held down, I go into godmode9. Recovery mode doesn't light up the screen however.
I googled a lot but 3DS hacking is so complicated...

If all is lost, can I extract save games somehow and continue playing somewhere else? I really liked the game I was playing and I was about 35 hours in.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by kaninchen,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That doesn't sound like a software problem to me.
Pretty new to this: Please try running memtest. (Process of elimination – hopefully this doesn't give errors).
Make sure you didn't turn off Luma3DS crash handler (the option does not even show up in settings of the latest version). Turning off the crash handler mostly replaces crash reports with black screens.

If all is lost, can I extract save games somehow and continue playing somewhere else?
Sure. Restore your Checkpoint/JKSM backups on another device or use them in Citra.
That is the whole point of backups: Being able to restore them in case of failure.

I googled a lot but 3DS hacking is so complicated...
I disagree. 3DS homebrew/CFW is foolproof and easy. However, all DS consoles behave erratically when having hardware and/or software issues. Nintendo stuff has next to no fault tolerance and no error handling (or just error reporting so the user can get informed about problems)

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: BigOnYa

Albertie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I had a similar issue recently. I found that if you have changed the boot.firm file on your SD before, you could change it to the original Luma3DS boot.firm.
- Or, this could be a battery issue. You could replace it with a new one or blow dust off of it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: You infidel.