Two Mega Drives I got; Rather Lenghty post

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So I recently got two Mega Drives from a man with taste, and both are a bit of weird cases, and I would like to get some info on both I am hoping good old temp has people with the hardware and possible know how for these.

First of all; the two models I got:

MEGA DRIVE PAL-B(VE)
MODEL 1601-07

and

MEGA DRIVE
MODEL HAA-2510

Respectively I understand these are an Asian PAL model, and Japanese model (or Japanese model sold in Asian markets)

- Pictures:

HAA-2510
DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

1601-07
DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

And before everything; Both models had their cartridge lock mechanisms removed.
So questions:

First of all, the weird part of the HAA-2510, Japanese model as I presume at least, was that it was seemingly modified to be a PAL system. I live in Finland and the consoles were probably imported long time ago, and to use the system they probably had someone modify it to work on PAL systems. I myself unmodified it by cutting abridge between JP3 and JP2 left side, here is graph what was done to it (and what I undid:
MegaCuts.png

All I want to know here is if I did something wrong making it into JP model like it is supposed to be, tell me. This bridges into my general question next...

I'd like to do a on off on region mod to one of my mega drives in future, as instructed here:
http://mdpal60.net/wiki/megadrive/regionmod/start
The question is, How should I think this for the Asian Mega Drives. The guide was written with a PAL Mega Drive at hand and I am not even sure if this all is the same for the Asian ones I have. Specifically, How the diagram goes for these. If someone can make me one to clarify if there is difference with Asian ones, I am thankful.

Also this goes into the next question, which unhelpfully is just:
What the heck is this?

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

This is soldered in my 1601-07, PAL one. I am fairly sure this is not an official part of the system, but I am also not sure what it is supposed to do. Best bet I can give is automatic region switcher or region regulator or - Well, I go back to what I said; I have no idea what this is. 307-007 gave no answers, and I have no large expertise other than basic parts and what they are supposed to do.
All I know is that no matter what cartridge the mega drive works as a pal system - and I have both European and Japanese cartridges at my disposal.

I am interested what it is but, in the end I might just use this mega drive with the wires it has for the switch mod. That just leaves me; how should switch modding Japanese/Asian Mega Drive go down

Aside that, I am pretty happy obtaining both uncommon Asian and Japanese Mega Drive models. Currently only hardship is that I am pretty sure the JP jumpers are not the same in the Asia models, it feels like, and I need

Anyway, thanks for reading and I would be happy if someone can answer how to properly switch mod Asian Mega Drive.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What the heck is this?"

That should be a mod to power the 32X Sega CD without an additional power cable, if I'm not mistaken. Saw something very similar to that when I was looking at composite/stereo/RGB mods for my NTSC mdoel1, but don't take my word for it.

The 32X Sega CD needed an accompanying mod to utilize it.

Edit - I was wrong anyway. http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/genesismods.html

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
"What the heck is this?"

That should be a mod to power the 32X Sega CD without an additional power cable, if I'm not mistaken. Saw something very similar to that when I was looking at composite/stereo/RGB mods for my NTSC mdoel1, but don't take my word for it.

The 32X Sega CD needed an accompanying mod to utilize it.

Edit - I was wrong anyway. http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/genesismods.html

Yeah, thanks, I been wondering if it is some sort of controller input/etc related multi region mod but I tested everything out and find it doing nothing.

the 8 pin chip makes it most interesting.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
They look to be similar board revision. Jumpers likely behave the same way.
As you probably noticed hz and language are separate. So there's four modes. (though Japanese at 50hz isn't believed officially used, I don't think the hardware minds)

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
They look to be similar board revision. Jumpers likely behave the same way.
As you probably noticed hz and language are separate. So there's four modes. (though Japanese at 50hz isn't believed officially used, I don't think the hardware minds)

I found at them indeed myself too, one thing of course seems to be PAL model's incompatibility to display color if modded to 50hz apparently.
"50hz Japan isn't officially used" - i'd believe that is what PAL ASIA models are doing, mine is indeed running at PAL 50hz but in Japanese language, takes Japanese cartridges officially, as you can see from the cartridge slot shapes.

- I realized all I'd really have to do is language switch mod my JP mega drive and permanently Englify my PAL one and I have full compatibility right there. I have harder time importing American than Japanese cartridges anyway though.

I even have a CiB of Sonic 2 that is specifically "ASIAN VERSION" - it also clocks the music right if played on the PAL Asian mega drive.
I also never knew Asian/Japan defaults to use "miles" as tails' name while English versions default to Tails. You can also use a cheat code on both versions to reverse this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo