[Tutorial] Updating from rxTools to Luma3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, May 23, 2016.

1. Dothackjhe

Dothackjhe GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    My O3DS XL had always been on rxTools (bootable via MSET) while its sysnand is on 8.1.0-19U.

Following this guide, it said about copying "Luma3DS.dat from the mset-spider folder to the root of the SD" which surmises as leaving the "Luma3DS.dat" as is whereas this guide tells about the need to rename it to "launcher.dat."

Specifically, this guide says: "5. Rename Luma3ds.dat file to launcher.dat"

Which exactly is the step that I should follow?

[Update]

I tried either way, none worked in making Luma3DS boot from my unit after transitioning from a formerly working rxTools setup (via MSET).

I also even resorted to using Luma3DS NDS launcher via a DS Flash Cart and choosing to patch for "6.X" since there is no option aside from 4.X and 6.X, but to no avail.

[Update]

I made this thread at Luma3DS's GitHub page: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/issues/380

Last edited by Dothackjhe, Mar 13, 2017
  2. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Will there be update for luma? Last one 6.6 on nov. 12. 2016 :-(

3. bololabich

bololabich Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2015
    Poland
    Doesn't work at all :(
    I tried both renaming the file as launcher.dat and rxTools.dat but every time is just crashes the same way as if there was no sd inserted :( and after updating the emunand it doesn't boot anymore

4. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    1. This guide is very old
    2. It's been forever since I used that old setup so I can't really tell you how to fix it anymore
    3. You're better off with Arm9loaderhax, it's super easy to setup these days and it's way better.

5. bololabich

bololabich Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2015
    Poland
    well how to do it? the thing is I don't really want to lose all my saves which are on emu nand :(
    BTW does luma work on 6.x? because I read somewhere that I'd need an update to 9.x

Last edited by bololabich, Mar 23, 2017
  6. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    You won't lose your saves or anything like that. You'll eventually come across a step where you move emunand to sysnand, then delete emunand. If your sysnand is on 6.x, you can start setting up Arm9loaderhax from there, you dont have to be on 9.x

7. Dothackjhe

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Did not work with me as well. I assume the latest build of Luma3DS has got to do with this i.e. it was patched for better compatibility with A9LH but render MSET obsolete. I remember someone from GitHub suggesting using an older version of Luma3DS to make MSET work. Sadly, older versions of Luma3DS are no longer being hosted at GitHub.

In the end, I just went through the A9LH route in trying to make Luma3DS run with my O3DS XL. Luckily, the process was successful.

MattKimura likes this.
  8. bololabich

bololabich Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2015
    Poland
    I see. Could you give me a link how to make an update to Arm9loaderhax then. BTW I'm not sure if my emunand is even working anymore since I made an update and then when it restarted it gives a black screen on boot (because of rxtools being banned), the hell i could not even find the emu nand files on my SD :/

9. Dothackjhe

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Just follow the guide carefully and make sure not to put your unit to sleep mode or shut it down at any point in the hacking process unless otherwise stated: https://3ds.guide/

bololabich likes this.
  10. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    Kinda. Luma doesn't need that, you can just install everything to sysnand and it will be fine.

11. Dothackjhe

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Luma3DS is basically a full custom firmware for the 3DS. As soon as you turn on your unit, it boots directly to CFW without the need for Emunand.

12. Sirence

Sirence GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I just got an an o3ds on 4.5 that boots rxTools with mset. I was asked to update the emunand to 11.4 so I would need to swap rxtools for luma.

My question is, can you boot luma on 4.5 with mset? I don't want to update the sysnand, just swap the files and launcher.dat on the sdcard.

13. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Just follow the https://3ds.guide/ :-)

14. Sirence

Sirence GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I am not getting money for it so I can not spend more like 10 minutes on it. Also this is not my console, so I am not going to touch the sysnand or update on something I do not own. My question is, can I swap the launcher.dat files and be done, or does luma not boot from 4.5? In that case, would ReiNand?

15. Sakura1

Sakura1 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2014
    United States
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So I have an o3ds at 6.00 and was wondering if I could install Luma3ds? since I heard rxtools is outdated and pretty much bc Im being left out of fun english patch games.

SO I have rxtool installed and am at ver 6.0.0 in system firmware? do I have to do an update to 9.0.0? or can I stay at 6.0.0 and still be able to move to luma3ds?

16. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I'll help you setup Arm9loaderhax with Luma3DS, which is the best setup to have right now. You can stay on 6.0.0 and still set everything up from there. Meet me on Discord : 3

17. whitesoulbk

whitesoulbk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2017
    I'm new in this forum, please can you help me to update from rxtool to Arm9loaderhax?

18. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    This thread is very outdated, Arm9loaderhax is no more. You have to setup Boot9strap now which is even easier. go to 3ds.guide and follow it

whitesoulbk likes this.
  19. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    How do i install rxtools just installed sighax and it sucks

20. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Please clarify, how does it "suck"?