Hacking [TUTORIAL] Removing emuNAND from SD Card

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"You can use a GParted live disc and just drag the FAT32 partition over where emuNAND was, it'll keep your files" - I thought you did that :O

I recommend recreating the partition table instead of putting the FAT32 partition onto the emunand/free space, because:
  1. to remove the emunand MBR
  2. to defragment the SD card
Also, you can install GParted on Ubuntu from the Software Centre, skipping the creation and boot of GParted Live.

Anyway, here's a quick tutorial for Ubuntu, without installing GParted:
Before proceeding, backup all your data on the SD card!!
Screenshot from 2015-04-29 17:12:31.png

Open Disks.
Screenshot from 2015-04-29 17:12:54.png

Select your SD card (important), then click on the hamburger menu and select Format...
Screenshot from 2015-04-29 17:13:07.png
Screenshot from 2015-04-29 17:13:19.png

Leave Quick and MBR / DOS, then click Format and confirm.
Screenshot from 2015-04-29 17:13:26.png

Click on the + below "Free Space".
Screenshot from 2015-04-29 17:13:33.png

Leave these settings as are and click Create.
Could you add it to the first post? :)

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
I recommend recreating the partition table instead of putting the FAT32 partition onto the emunand/free space, because:
Also, you can install GParted on Ubuntu from the Software Centre, skipping the creation and boot of GParted Live.

View attachment 18598
Open Disks.
View attachment 18593
Select your SD card (important), then click on the hamburger menu and select Format...
View attachment 18594View attachment 18595
View attachment 18596
View attachment 18597

Sure, will do!

Reactions: nastys

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can't you just format it.
If you mean on Windows, right click on the SD card in Computer and format then no, it won't work, because the emuNAND is on a separate part of the SD card and not just the FAT32 partition.
Sure, will do!
Thanks but the images are broken :(
I'll upload them to imgur

rsc-pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EDITED
Please note - if you just remove or resize partition - it will not work. GW writes information about emunand somewhere in MBR probably.
So
If you need just space in your SDcard - it will be fine if you resize/delete partition, but if you want to use this sdcard for GW3.2 nand settings mod - you will end with black screen after booting GW mode without rewriting MBR.

Reactions: nastys and WhoAmI?

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country

View attachment 18598
Open Disks.
View attachment 18593
View attachment 18594View attachment 18595
View attachment 18596
View attachment 18597
(and "Also, you can install GParted on Ubuntu from the Software Centre, skipping the creation and boot of GParted Live.", if you don't mind...)
If you mean on Windows, right click on the SD card in Computer and format then no, it won't work, because the emuNAND is on a separate part of the SD card and not just the FAT32 partition.

Thanks but the images are broken :(
I'll upload them to imgur

I fixed it :P. I got the links and re-added the images. I also changed the font size and numbered the text.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I fixed it :P. I got the links and re-added the images. I also changed the font size and numbered the text.
Perfect, thanks ;)

EDITED
Please note - if you just remove or resize partition - it will not work. GW writes information about emunand somewhere in MBR probably.
So
If you need just space in your SDcard - it will be fine if you resize/delete partition, but if you want to use this sdcard for GW3.2 nand settings mod - you will end with black screen after booting GW mode without rewriting MBR.
Right, and this is what the first sector looks like:
8d6yf6W.png

This is why I recommend recreating the entire partition table if you want to get rid of the emuNAND entirely.

Reactions: WhoAmI?

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Perfect, thanks ;)

Right, and this is what the first sector looks like:
8d6yf6W.png

This is why I recommend recreating the entire partition table if you want to get rid of the emuNAND entirely.

Wow. Gateway know how to waste space, right? I can see why WulfyStylez and Co, are working on a different emuNAND format...

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow. Gateway know how to waste space, right? I can see why WulfyStylez and Co, are working on a different emuNAND format...
This is just a dummy 512 bytes (if I recall correctly) sector that replaces the MBR. Every msdos/mbr partition table should have an MBR, or there might be compatibility issues.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
This is just a dummy 512 bytes (if I recall correctly) sector that replaces the MBR. Every msdos/mbr partition table should have an MBR, or there might be compatibility issues.

Yup, even so. Members of the KARL team were talking about the offsets that Gateway use for emuNAND and such, which they claim to cause an unnecessary waste of storage.

D

Deleted-19228

*redacted*

Just as an FYI the diskpart method I've used for years however there was a MicroSD I was working on yesterday that was causing me issues when attempting to install the mset_usa.cia MicroSD was from a n3ds, it was 4GB, showed around 4GB free but somehow still had an emunand partition on it. emutool 1.0.3 was recognizing it and would actually dump it. Really strange. In any case used the HP formatter tool and it wiped it to where emunand wasn't seen anymore.

Reactions: WhoAmI?

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Just as an FYI the diskpart method I've used for years however there was a MicroSD I was working on yesterday that was causing me issues when attempting to install the mset_usa.cia MicroSD was from a n3ds, it was 4GB, showed around 4GB free but somehow still had an emunand partition on it. emutool 1.0.3 was recognizing it and would actually dump it. Really strange. In any case used the HP formatter tool and it wiped it to where emunand wasn't seen anymore.

Wow, that is strange. I don't get that problem on my hardware. Diskpart has always worked for me.

D

Deleted-19228

Yea. I removed the partition multiple times, reformatted. Emunand was still working for some reason. Took hours to track down because I didn't even think emunand was ever set up on it simply because it showed 3.7GB free. Obviously if the emunand partition was setup it would have <2GB free.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yup, even so. Members of the KARL team were talking about the offsets that Gateway use for emuNAND and such, which they claim to cause an unnecessary waste of storage.
It is actually the same size of the NAND + the size of an MBR, so how is it possible that there is wasted storage? :wtf:
Maybe I'll check that thread.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
It is actually the same size of the NAND + the size of an MBR, so how is it possible that there is wasted storage? :wtf:
Maybe I'll check that thread.

I honestly don't know xD. Look through the KARL thread. One of the members were going on about their alternate emuNAND which is more efficient than Gateways. Don't quote me on that.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
EDITED
So

Yup, I just checked. I also had to add a command to the diskpart tutorial, which re-writes the mbr.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Yea. I removed the partition multiple times, reformatted. Emunand was still working for some reason. Took hours to track down because I didn't even think emunand was ever set up on it simply because it showed 3.7GB free. Obviously if the emunand partition was setup it would have <2GB free.

Updated the diskpart instructions. Step 6 has a command to re-make mbr. If it still doesn't work, use "clean all" instead of "clean". "clean all" resets all the sectors to "0", so it'll take a while depending on the SD cards size.

Edit: Before I destroyed the mbr, rxTools said that emuNAND existed when it didn't. Re-making mbr has fixed it :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...