Homebrew [Tutorial] How to make BGM.bcstm files for 3DS Themes

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wow I never knew you had to do all of this extra stuff just to make your own bgm file ._."..like damn..I wish the old website for this was back up..but it's dead and gone :( which sucks. I've been trying to replace my ppg theme song bgm file with a new one because the old one for some odd reason is not reading with the theme i downloaded :/. Sigh.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow I never knew you had to do all of this extra stuff just to make your own bgm file ._."..like damn..I wish the old website for this was back up..but it's dead and gone :( which sucks. I've been trying to replace my ppg theme song bgm file with a new one because the old one for some odd reason is not reading with the theme i downloaded :/. Sigh.
You can use my tool if you don't want to do all the steps yourself but it's a bit buggy on Windows.

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can use my tool if you don't want to do all the steps yourself but it's a bit buggy on Windows.

Ooh~ I checked out your tool and read the post and comments. I'll check it out and see if it works on my windows ;w;!! Alright. Thank you so much for recommending your tool :3

Reactions: nastys

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've benn having problems with this lately. I've done several themes before, but this is the first time I have this problems, so I'll just put them here so someone can help me out:
Some bgms don't loop even when I set the loop check box (and done the process more than one or two times just to be sure), and others just loop wrong (loop the last part of the song, and then start again from the beginning). I don't know why this is happening. I'm just doing the cuts in the song with audacity as always. then export them as a .wav file (and they seem to be ok when I hear them), and then use the brstm converter with loop option and BRSTM2BCSTM to get the bgm as it's needed.
Did someone have a problem alike and want to share with me how he solved it? Or maybe someone that know what the hell I'm doing wrong? Ty in advance.

Xerkies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have put a BGM thats like 5 MB and that worked. Why does it have to be under 3 MB? I know when I uploaded a theme to some site like 3dsThem.es or themeplaza it tells me to go under 3 MB but why?

IamFrogGod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having an issue where instead of it compressing the file it raises the file size to 6.94 MBs every time. Even when I convert a 2 MB file it gets raised to 6.94MBs. How can I resolve this?

NASSULY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
when i try to convert to WAV the 2.28 MB becomes 10.1 MB
wav is an uncompressed format, the file is always going to be bigger.

BGM's aren't hard to make, just have to know what you're working with.

The way I do them it's a bit different to this post but fair enough as its an old thread.

You'll need Looping Audio Converter 1.3, Usagi 3DS theme editor, some kind of audio editing software or DAW (I use FL Studio)
and ctrwave converter.

Get the song you want as a bgm and pop it onto the audio editor, make it as long as you want without going past 2 minutes, more than that will make it so you need smaller sample rates to convert lowering the quality (1 to 1:30 minutes should be the best range for quality)

once you have it edited export it as a wav and save it in the ctrwave folder for later.

Now follow the instructions for ctrwave converter: open a cmd window inside the ctrwave folder (type cmd in the file explorer or right click and open it). when done drag the ctrwave.exe into the cmd and input this with the filename you have for your BGM:

--pcm16 inputwavfilename.wav -o outputfilename.bcwav

that should convert your wav to bcwav, and being in this format lets you change the sample rate in Looping Audio Converter later. After this just get the bcwav version of your BGM, add it into Looping Audio Converter, check the option to put all channels into 1 file and change the sample rate to a lower one if the output file is still bigger than 3.3MB (the limit is actually 3.37 something so just make sure its below 3.29 and you'll be good.

Check the use Brawllib decoder option, the Output format should be BCSTM (ADPCM) and that should be it, as someone said already, mono only comes out one side so make sure to export it in stereo, even if it takes more of a hassle to shrink the size as mono only comes out one side instead of merging channels.

This might be a bit more convoluted than other guides but it's the best way to go about it if you want your BGMs to come out without issues.

Hope this helps!

(sul on themeplaza)

Last edited by NASSULY,

AlesioBilbili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
wav is an uncompressed format, the file is always going to be bigger.

BGM's aren't hard to make, just have to know what you're working with.

The way I do them it's a bit different to this post but fair enough as its an old thread.

You'll need Looping Audio Converter 1.3, Usagi 3DS theme editor, some kind of audio editing software or DAW (I use FL Studio)
and ctrwave converter.

Get the song you want as a bgm and pop it onto the audio editor, make it as long as you want without going past 2 minutes, more than that will make it so you need smaller sample rates to convert lowering the quality (1 to 1:30 minutes should be the best range for quality)

once you have it edited export it as a wav and save it in the ctrwave folder for later.

Now follow the instructions for ctrwave converter: open a cmd window inside the ctrwave folder (type cmd in the file explorer or right click and open it). when done drag the ctrwave.exe into the cmd and input this with the filename you have for your BGM:

--pcm16 inputwavfilename.wav -o outputfilename.bcwav

that should convert your wav to bcwav, and being in this format lets you change the sample rate in Looping Audio Converter later. After this just get the bcwav version of your BGM, add it into Looping Audio Converter, check the option to put all channels into 1 file and change the sample rate to a lower one if the output file is still bigger than 3.3MB (the limit is actually 3.37 something so just make sure its below 3.29 and you'll be good.

Check the use Brawllib decoder option, the Output format should be BCSTM (ADPCM) and that should be it, as someone said already, mono only comes out one side so make sure to export it in stereo, even if it takes more of a hassle to shrink the size as mono only comes out one side instead of merging channels.

This might be a bit more convoluted than other guides but it's the best way to go about it if you want your BGMs to come out without issues.

Hope this helps!

(sul on themeplaza)
nvm i finifhed mazking it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed