[Tutorial] How to convert Arm9LoaderHax payloads to FIRMS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Epicdaftman, May 20, 2017.

1. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Awesome! Thanks for this.

2. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa AFF (Akiba Freedom Fighter)

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Akiba (Akihabara)
    i heard that gateway kills a9lh on sys 11.3/11.4. if i have b9s sys 11.4. wouldnt that GW payload kill that too?

3. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Would anyone like a .bat to semi-automate the process? Or perhaps firmtool in a .exe format (converted using py2exe) which should remove the need for python?

4. OutVolt

OutVolt Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2008
    United States
    Hidding in the Shaodws
    That i dont know. As far as I know, gateway hasn't update for 11.3/11.4.

5. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    Yea, GW won't work AT ALL on 11.4. Don't think it's possible to break sighax though. Could cause a brick maybe, but not just break sighax.

6. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Akiba (Akihabara)
    that is what i meant sry. because GW removed a9lh or Bricked 3ds on 11.3/4

7. mrjoshuaco

mrjoshuaco Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    You're using these words interchangeably. They don't mean what you think they mean. Here's the actual deal:

When you chainload in to Gateway on 11.4 (and only then) on Sysnand, that firmware version will, for lack of a better term, overwrite A9LH because Gateway doesn't protect it. This does NOT result in a brick, it simply removes A9LH, leaving you with an unhacked console for all intents and purposes. It doesn't "brick" your 3DS.

8. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Akiba (Akihabara)
    thanks because a friend of me told me it CAN brick... he gave me false information then

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

does the same happen if i would boot it in 11,4 sysnand with b9s?

wolf_ likes this.
  9. mrjoshuaco

mrjoshuaco Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    There was a brief period years ago where Gateway's cart firmware would brick systems using Gateway clones and in a few rare cases, legit Gateway carts. Also, their implementation of A9LH is poor and had brick potential, but that only holds true if you're using their downgrade and installation method, but the chances weren't terribly higher than other very early conventional methods. Simply using the chainloaded binary however won't cause a brick.

As to your second question, if you're not using Gateway, you'll have no issue with A9LH being overwritten (at least up to current firmware) and B9S is theoretically more safe.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco, May 22, 2017
  10. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Akiba (Akihabara)
    ok

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i used gw because of cheats but know i use NTR. i dont need GW anymore (the redcard i only use the bluecard because of NDS roms)

11. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Got bored and decided to throw together a quick POC batch file for easier converting. Probably broken in some way, but worked in my very limited testing. It accepts drag and drop as well as manually opening and typing in a file. Currently only testing with bin files placed in the same directory as the firmtool and batch file. Don't have time to give it a full test right now so let me know if any issues come up. I'll probably try to see if I can figure out a python version later so it will work across platforms instead of just windows.
    Code:
    @echo off
    cls
    set name
    IF [%1]==[] (
        SET /p file="What is the file you want to convert? (ex. Decrypt9WIP.bin) "
    ) else (
        set file=%1
        set name=%~n1
    )
    IF [%name%]==[] set name=%file:.bin=%
    cls
    echo Converting %name% to firm format
    python firmtool build %name%.firm -n 0x23F00000 -e 0 -D %name%.bin -A 0x23F00000 -C NDMA >> debug.txt
    echo Complete
    pause

Majickhat55 likes this.
  12. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    I never said that it would be useful or effective. Hell, almost anything that works when converted to .firm is likely outdated.

13. tomx86

tomx86 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 3, 2015
    Poland
    Last edited by tomx86, May 22, 2017
  14. Aliik

Aliik Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2017
    France
  15. Hihomaster

Hihomaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2008
    France
    hello there i tried to simplify the process by creating this small tool i called Simple Firm Creator :
    you need the latest python ( at least 3.2) and cryptography ("pip install cryptography" )

Usage : to launch it you have to open a cmd or a terminal and type " python SimpleFirmCreator.py "
    then you just have to open the .bin you want to convert and click on create firm and tada profit

Edit : i forgot to delete the arm9loaderhax.bin inside but you can delete it / i left it for test purpose

Attached Files:

Last edited by Hihomaster, May 23, 2017
    izumo and I pwned U! like this.
  16. rd2k3

rd2k3 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2005
    Antigua and Barbuda
    ABOUT GATEWAY AND B9S
    - Gateway wont brick your 3ds. But if you try load gateway on sysnand 11.3 or 11.4, give you a black screen. And when reboot, your 3ds is in official firmware 11.4 (or 11.3). In other words, LOSE YOUR B9S and only a hardmode solve this (i test many times, but i have hardmode)

ABOUT BIN2FIRM
    - in windows, you have a many steps to follow
    1) install KB2999226 for windows 7 (only with windows update active - change in services.msc. After install, you can disable windows update)
    2) install VCForPython27 (microsoft visual c++ compiler) - otherwise, python will not install PIP
    3) install python-3.6.1 and openssl-0.9.8h-1-setup
    4) open CMD with admin rights and type this lines

"C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Common\Microsoft\Visual C++ for Python\9.0\vcvarsall.bat" x86_amd64
    change USER for your username

set LIB=C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\lib;%LIB%
    if your windows is x86, change this line (this folder is about openssl-0.9.8h-1-setup)

set INCLUDE=C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\include;%INCLUDE%
    if your windows is x86, change this line (this folder is about openssl-0.9.8h-1-setup)

"C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\Scripts\pip.exe" install cryptography
    change USER for your username
    after this line, msdos will load a progress bar and install cryptography

IN PYTHON INSTALED FOLDER
    copy firmtool (https://github.com/TuxSH/firmtool)
    copy your archive.bin (for converte) and rename for TEST1.bin
    open CMD and set python folder (ex: CD C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32)

run command
    firmtool.py build TEST2.firm -n 0x23F00000 -e 0 -D TEST1.bin -A 0x23F00000 -C NDMA

Last edited by rd2k3, May 27, 2017
  17. Kumayatsu

Kumayatsu Newbie

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    United States
    C:/USERS/FUCKMAN

I chuckled

18. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2016
    But what about converting .firm back to .bin? Is this possible?

19. jupitteer

jupitteer GBAtemp Lurker

Feb 17, 2017
    Hell
    What the hell is 'the firmtool file'?

20. tomx86

tomx86 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 3, 2015
    Poland
    Will you update it to work with "boot9strap-1.2"?